Lanai (outside) cabin on Statendam

I posted this in Cabin Selection Tips section, but no takers. Going to try here in the HAL thread to see if anyone can help.

Just looking at the HAL website for our southbound Alaskan cruise in 2010. Since this is our third Alaskan cruise, we've decided to preface it with a week in the Homer/Seward area before boarding the ship. In an effort to save $$$$ on the cruise portion, we're thinking about an outside cabin instead of my BELOVED balcony (:(Still not so sure I can do it, but....). I noticed that as of April 2010, the Statendam is offering Lanai staterooms "2 lower beds convertible to 1 queen-size bed, bathtub/shower, Sliding glass doors lead onto the walk-around Lower Promenade Deck (Deck #3)." Since its listed as an "ocean-view stateroom" I'm assuming the cost would be much cheaper than a balcony. Plus, this type of cabin would still afford us the ability to get out on deck right from our room (albeit a public promendade deck, but I'm thinking that wouldn't be so bad, right???)

Anyone have any experience with "lanai" staterooms - either on HAL or another line? I intend to talk to our TA about it to see what she thinks or what advice she might give. But this sure looks like a doable possibility for us - saving BIG bucks to be used for our land portion of the trip or on some nice excursions in ports on the cruise, while still having (sort of) a balcony. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

I posted this in Cabin Selection Tips section, but no takers. Going to try here in the HAL thread to see if anyone can help.

Just looking at the HAL website for our southbound Alaskan cruise in 2010. Since this is our third Alaskan cruise, we've decided to preface it with a week in the Homer/Seward area before boarding the ship. In an effort to save $$$$ on the cruise portion, we're thinking about an outside cabin instead of my BELOVED balcony (:(Still not so sure I can do it, but....). I noticed that as of April 2010, the Statendam is offering Lanai staterooms "2 lower beds convertible to 1 queen-size bed, bathtub/shower, Sliding glass doors lead onto the walk-around Lower Promenade Deck (Deck #3)." Since its listed as an "ocean-view stateroom" I'm assuming the cost would be much cheaper than a balcony. Plus, this type of cabin would still afford us the ability to get out on deck right from our room (albeit a public promendade deck, but I'm thinking that wouldn't be so bad, right???)

Anyone have any experience with "lanai" staterooms - either on HAL or another line? I intend to talk to our TA about it to see what she thinks or what advice she might give. But this sure looks like a doable possibility for us - saving BIG bucks to be used for our land portion of the trip or on some nice excursions in ports on the cruise, while still having (sort of) a balcony. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

This is exactly why I booked one on the Veendam to Alaska before it got chartered... The prices were higher than Cat C but lower thn BC, BB etc...

To get an idea of price change I would look up any Veendam sailings of an equivilent length and itinerary for 2009, but I say go for it. I was going to :)

All of the "S" class ships (Statendam, Maasdam, Veendam and Ryndam) as well as Rotterdam are all going to have upgrades within the next 2+ years. These Lanai cabins will be converted during drydocks for each of these ships. Veendam is the first to get these cabin changes as well as other upgrades and changes.

Seeing as no HAL ships yet have them, no one has yet experienced them.

Thank you both - I appreciate the responses. I figured the lanais hadn't gone into effect yet on the Statendam, but wasn't sure about any other HAL ships. Should be interesting - I'm going to keep my eye on these cabins, sounds almost too good to be true!

Again - I thank you for your responses.

Thank you both - I appreciate the responses. I figured the lanais hadn't gone into effect yet on the Statendam, but wasn't sure about any other HAL ships. Should be interesting - I'm going to keep my eye on these cabins, sounds almost too good to be true!

Again - I thank you for your responses.

Sure thing... FWIW we had selected I believe it was CA 335... It's a room where one never existed before so you're less likely to have a room with inherent problems plus it was perfectly midship

Archived