Best cruise line for dining with kids  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Best cruise line for dining with kids

• NCL
    • Princess
    • Carnival
    • Other

Hi,

Here's a question for experienced family cruisers: Which cruise line do you find had the best food for families? Which has the best kids' programme?

I've just returned from NCL MExican Riviera with my four year old. We loved the kids programmes, but the food was a hassle: Long buffet line ups and only junk food on the kids menu.

It was also difficult taking him to the dining room at dinner. I didn't want to share a table as that might not be fair to the other diners, and the waits for tables for two were quite long.

Have people had better experiences with other lines? Less busy buffets? some veggies on the kids menus? More choices? More accommodating wait staff (BTW: NCL's dining staff were quite grim -- I think there may have been a labour issue when I sailed)

If I choose a fixed dining time, will they seat us with other families? Any other thoughts on kids/cruises and food?

Thanks!

I can"t say for sure, since my kids basically eat junk for the week (me, too - hey it's vacation!), but you may be better off with a fixed dining option. On RCCL, we always been assigned a table for 4 when requested and having the same waitstaff all week would help you with healthy options. For example, when my kids were small, the waiters asked if we would like them to bring cut up fruit for them during the appetizer course. Everyone was happy with that and the waitstaff even noted (without any comment by us) what fruits each of my children at most of (grapes) and they brought more grapes next time. I'm sure you could have a standing order for steamed veggies in lieu of french fires or other healthy choices as well.

I don't think this is special to RCCL, but fixed dining does make it easier than having different waitstaff like on NCL.

I agree with the above poster! Even if you decide to use the buffet, going during the "off" times will give you fewer lines. I would much rather take a 4 yo to the dining room, than have to deal with schlepping my plates and a kid around thru crowds in the buffet!

Exactly. I'm often told the buffet is easier, but frankly, I prefer having wait staff. I do enough table service at home as it is.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll probably try fixed dining next time, and hope they sit us with people who love kids.

On our last cruise (Emerald Princess) my kids at TONS of fruit - some they had never tried before! Every night at dinner they received a huge bowl of fruit salad as soon as we sat down. Mine aren't big junk food eaters (their own preference) and were thrilled to have fruit, wheat pastas, grilled chicken, etc. I love that being on the cruise makes it so easy to graze through the day - which is how we eat at home.

Kids aren't limited to the kid's menu...they can order, even mix and match from the adult's too. My kids are big fruit eaters too, and my picky picky middle dd discovered a love for Ceasar salad on a cruise. One of the things I like about having the same waitstaff each night is their attention to detail...on our oldest's first cruise he discovered her love for strawberries early in the week, and from then on her plate was waiting each night with several large ones, without us having to ask. We've cruised with RCCL and Carnival, and both linew were excellent about dealing with kids.

I find that there are many healthy foods available in the buffet. I just make a plate with say- a hamburger, mixed salad and watermelon. No fries. He just eats it all. Then he can have a few fries. This works pretty well for me. It is just a rule. I eat the same way.

The great thing about cruises is that there is a variety of fruits and vegetables- so it is easy to get them to at least eat fruit. On Holland America they have a chocolate fondue fountain with mixed fruit. My son gravitated to that more than the cookies and cakes.

I find that he eats healthier on the cruise because the way they display the food makes it more inviting. For instance, he loves the shrimp cocktail or crab cocktail because it is served in a martini glass, etc.

One of the reasons I like cruising as a family vacation is that we all enjoy stress-free meals together and eat healthier than on any other kind of vacation (at resorts, Disney, etc., we end up doing a lot of fast food/convenience food because of the expense and time issues). We have done Princess and Carnival and both have the usual kid menus, but my girls always order off the adult menu at dinner - and one of my girls is a serious picky eater, but there's always plenty for her to choose from - especially pastas.

On another line if you do traditional dining, your waiter will have fruit/veggies/whatever you want brought out right away. And my waiters have always been wonderful once they know our "no junk food at dinner" rule - when they suggest something to my girls for dinner, it's always gets better reception than if mommy suggests it ;)

We don't do the buffet more than once or twice on a cruise - I would much rather sit and be served and enjoy my kids than juggle trays and go back and forth for what we want.

Best,

Mia

- and one of my girls is a serious picky eater' date=' but there's always plenty for her to choose from - especially pastas.

On another line if you do traditional dining, your waiter will have fruit/veggies/whatever you want brought out right away. And my waiters have always been wonderful once they know our "no junk food at dinner" rule - when they suggest something to my girls for dinner, it's always gets better reception than if mommy suggests it ;)

Mia[/quote']

Our youngest ate buttered pasta with parmesean every night on her first cruise. ;) She was only 2, but stayed happy the entire meal, so mama was happy!

We gave the 2 big girls a challenge on their first cruise to try something new and different every day. They didn't have to finish it if they didn't like it, and they surprised themselves sometimes when they actually DID like something new and different. My middle one is the picky kid, and she's the one who is actually the most brave about the weird stuff. I think it's because at home she'd be made to eat it, and on a cruise after one yucky bite the plate is taken away, no questions asked! lol

I have see too many complaints about the wait times for NCL "freestyle" dining. I like to arrive at dinner in the main dining room, have my drinks waiting for us...have our chairs set up (booster or high chair if needed), and have a table for our family only.

I haven't had any problems doing that on any cruise line - Royal Caribbean, Carnival or Disney. We have never had to sit with other people. I just may be extremly lucky though. ;)

My son likes to eat whatever DH and I are eating. If it's on his own plate, he doesn't want it, but if I'm eating it or DH is eating it, he wants it. So, I try to order things that I won't feel bad about him eating, which means I end up eating healthier too.

I find that kids' menus pretty much everywhere tend to have a lot more junk food on them than adult menus. The idea behind kids' menus seems to be to give them food that will make them happy so they won't be disruptive during the meal, rather than about what's the best nutrition for kids.

We just got off the NCL Dawn and found that our kids were able to eat very healthy while aboard. We might have just been very lucky, but we never had to wait for a meal while on board and our varying group size was always accommodated (22 of us, but we usually ate in groups of 10 or so). I found that my kids loved the fresh fruit smoothies so they had those instead of pop. Neither one of my kids had a single pop the entire time, because they couldn't get enough of those smoothies. I bought the Teen Passport the first night, which contained 20 smoothie coupons and we just used it all week. As far as veggies and other foods, both my kids tried some different things and really liked what they tried. Overall, we were very impressed with NCL's offerings for adults and kids. :)

Archived