LIVE LIVE LIVE from the MARINER with MERION MOM for 53 DAYS!!!

Merion_Mom

It's the big day..........and I'm up!! Thanks everyone for your wonderful suggestions of why I'm under weight.

Wrona...........your goodie is packed!!

If I have forgotten it...........I can buy it!!

The ship is cruising the Straits of Megellan as I type this. Hopefully the weather is excellent...........and they are snapping pictures like crazy!! They only have a few more days of this leg.

I'm sure that Carol will post sometime today........and let us know of the beauty of the the straits.

I'll post once or twice more...............probably from Jeans (critterchick) this evening......before boarding my flight for Santiago.

So..........thanks Celia, Jill, Dave, Milliesmom, CAC104, Pacificlander, and others...........for the wonderful send off!!:);)

Rick

I think that I'm in deep trouble! I have packed everything that I can think of...........and my big bag only weighs 42 pounds. When Bobbie packs me..........it's 50 pounds. I obviously have forgotten 8 pounds worth of something! I mean.............I've got my shoes, socks, shorts, underware....kahkis, Tommy's, cotton shirts, Plaque for the captain, shoes, hairspray for Bobbie..... belts...medicene, windbreaker, hats

And then in my other bag.....which weighs nothing........my tux, all accessories, a formal outfit for Bobbie....sweaters, more shoes, slacks.

What am I missing...........ladies........you gotta know that I'm missing something.............my bag is too light!!:D:D:D

Help!!:eek:

Rick

Did you purposely leave out PJ's? :eek:

Have a great cruise! :D

Wait, I just have to post one more picture!

This is Doris, standing in front of the van that took us on our tour of Buenos Aires on the first day.

Note the license plate.

2901104910077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

& Doris is teaching my daughter Caitlin to play cards!!!. Carol, give her (Doris) my love.

Julie

I think that I'm in deep trouble! I have packed everything that I can think of...........and my big bag only weighs 42 pounds. When Bobbie packs me..........it's 50 pounds. I obviously have forgotten 8 pounds worth of something! I mean.............I've got my shoes, socks, shorts, underware....kahkis, Tommy's, cotton shirts, Plaque for the captain, shoes, hairspray for Bobbie..... belts...medicene, windbreaker, hats

And then in my other bag.....which weighs nothing........my tux, all accessories, a formal outfit for Bobbie....sweaters, more shoes, slacks.

What am I missing...........ladies........you gotta know that I'm missing something.............my bag is too light!!:D:D:D

Rick

Rick sounds like you still have some weight to fit in that eggcrate for Carol.;)

Rick

Your Ketel One???

Your Ketel One???
:D:D:D

Wolf.........you know too much!!:D:D

So with this post, I will be shutting my computer down, and headed out the door for the drive to Los Angeles, and the start of my trip.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes.

I'll post from critterchicks computer tonight..........then from the Mariner!!;)

Bye.

Rick

Anyone currently on the Mariner, I need a favor, could you call or check at the Tux shop to see if their would be a problem renting a tux while on the ship. I called and tried on line and they said I couldn't rent the tux because it was with in 5 days of saling.

If they don't see a problem renting it onboard that will free up some space in my suitcase.

Also are the prices the same as on the RCL website.

Thanks

George

;) I too need someone's help that is currently on the Mariner. We set sail on her Easter Sunday 4/12...I like to make all of my spa appointments soon as I get on board from a courtesy phone...could you please research the extension number for me please? I am also interested in the cost of a 50-60 massage swedish or deep tissue along with the cost of having panicures...

Thank You..thank you..thank you..

Angela

The way I see it Rick, you over packed.

My guess is Bobbie packs your stuff for 10-14 day cruises. You packed for 7 nights, right?

The most important things are passport, credit card and set sail pass. If you forgot any clothes...just fill the tiny laundry bag up and send it out for cleaning. ENJOY your cruise!

Anyone currently on the Mariner, I need a favor, could you call or check at the Tux shop to see if their would be a problem renting a tux while on the ship. I called and tried on line and they said I couldn't rent the tux because it was with in 5 days of saling.

If they don't see a problem renting it onboard that will free up some space in my suitcase.

Also are the prices the same as on the RCL website.

Thanks

George

George, we were on the Mariner at Christmas and I rented 3 tuxes as I had missed the deadline. No problem. Prices were the same. Be sure to try it on when you receive it. We had some fitting issues, that had to be resolved the 2nd formal night because the fellows didn't try them on earlier. Who would have guessed.

Sheila

The DIVAS in Rio:

2972261580077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

Heyyyy mom, you look amazing!!! I'm so glad you're having a good time! Although it is quite hard for me to follow your posts here b/c so many other people are postings as well. Sorry I havn't written in a while, but I'm fine, no worries! I'm applying to some jobs right now (well one to be specific, but once I get one application done, the rest will be cake... hopefully!) I've officially passed 3/5 classes and waiting to hear on the 4th and 5th... by this monday I think! Havn't spoken with David at all, but yes the ice storm around the US has been news here as well!! Andrea (near Louisville, KY) was without power for a few days (no heat - ice everywhere!) insanity. We're even expected to get some snow Sunday/early next week. Congratulations on selling!!!!!! IM SOOO HAPPY THAT IS OVER AND DONE WITH, maybe you're feeling a bit better???

The Love,

Beth

xxx

Well I am officially on vacation and leaving tomorrow to join the cruise. :D:D

Rick hope you arrived safely to Jean's and have safe flights to Chile. See you Sunday at the hotel for our pre-superbowl tour and festivities. Go Cardinals......:D:

Carol looking forward to meeting you. See you soon.. :D:D

Rick - have a wonderful time!! What an incredible trip - if we had known about this long ago we might have signed up for at least the around the horn part of the trip. Once in a lifetime adventure.

Please give our love to Carol, Doris, Len and Letty and Bobbie.

Keep thnking about joining us on the Independence TA April 12. We have almost 100 people in our group over on our thread with alot of great onboard activities planned and precruise dinner in Ft. Lauderdale. We are taking a post cruise trip for two days in Normandy to see all the WWII landmarks and then on to Paris for two nights and one day. Come join us!

Safe Travels Rick. Mary (and Dennis)

Rick - have a wonderful time!! What an incredible trip - if we had known about this long ago we might have signed up for at least the around the horn part of the trip. Once in a lifetime adventure.

Please give our love to Carol, Doris, Len and Letty and Bobbie.

Keep thnking about joining us on the Independence TA April 12. We have almost 100 people in our group over on our thread with alot of great onboard activities planned and precruise dinner in Ft. Lauderdale. We are taking a post cruise trip for two days in Normandy to see all the WWII landmarks and then on to Paris for two nights and one day. Come join us!

Safe Travels Rick. Mary (and Dennis)

Hey Rick, also meant to mention that Doris seemed interested in going on the TA with us - tell her the invitation still stands and we would love for her to go with us!! Take care, Mary

Rick-

Hope the drive down I-10 went well. Its been a crazy busy day here.

50% of what the carrier promised arrived today, rest on Monday so it will be Tu/We before I have my stuff done for those clients. Urgh!

Safe flight to ya as well!!! I will be taking a crew from church to do a day of hurricane relief in an area where 99% of the houses were destroyed by Ike. I will get the actual cabin # from you on the 19th, I know its one of two so just a random knock I may get it anyhow...and unlike the kids running down the hall when I answered I'd actually be standing there to say howdy!

Bobbie is back aboard, and is really bummed that the ship would not let passengers off till 9:40 unless they had ships shore excurisions. They found two different tours on the pier that would let them walk with the penguins. The tours left at 9:30..........so they were 20 minutes too late.

Bobbie feels that they could have gotten off at 9AM........and that the ship was just being slow with passengers not having shore excurisions. So I have a pretty unhappy camper on my hands........with the Iguazu Falls situation.........and now this!

Apparently there is not much else to do there......and it's raining lightly, so most that went onshore are now back onboard.

Rick

The tendering process *was* very slow and frustrating. Here is what I heard:

Ushuaia sent the wrong size or type of tenders at first, and they couldn't "hook up" to the Mariner, so there was a delay at the outset. Then it took a long time to get the ship's excursions off. This is ALWAYS the process: you have to be on a ship's excursions to get off first. They were still loading ship excursions on the tenders at 8:35.

Then there was a VERY long line of the rest of us. We were down there and fussing to get off at 8:15, but were made to wait. The group of which I was a part ("Jill's tour") finally was on a tender at 9:15. We were on the pier around 9:30. We had a pre-arranged tour with Pira Tours, which is the only company that takes you ONTO the island to WALK with the penguins.

The restriction is: only 20 passengers at a time on the island, and only a maximum of 80 per day (or 4 boatloads). Jane's group, which pushed their way (;)) onto a tender before we did, was one. We were another. People were turned away at the pier not because they were late, but because the quota had been filled for today.

There were other tours that took their passengers right onto the island. People simply couldn't get off the boat and walk around, but they were within feet of the penguins.

I'm not that good at estimating crowds, but these are pictures of the lines to get on a tender to return to the ship at 3:45 P.M. Looks like most of the ship to me!!!!!

2478346590077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

2428296930077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

2019993820077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

2378871730077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

After seeing the line, I was determined NOT to stand in it for over an hour. I did a little bit of aimless shopping, used the ladies' room in a bar, then settled in on a high flower bed wall, where I sat for more than an hour. Then I ran into Woody, who showed me where Vicki and Susan were sitting on another step, which was in front of the tourist bureau. They would stamp your passport with "Ushuaia" stamps and "El Fin del Mundo" stamps. If you didn't have your passport (and we didn't), they gave you a certificate with the stamps instead. Mine is very cool.

We waited until all of the standing was over, and when it looked like the next people in line were the last, and would all be able to get on the next (and final) tender, we got up off our butts and walked across the street to the line. We boarded the tender at 5:15.

The scheduled last tender was 4:15, according to the Cruise Compass. :rolleyes:

Archived