LIVE LIVE LIVE from the MARINER with MERION MOM for 53 DAYS!!!

Merion_Mom

Today was Dave (spellbinder)'s birthday.

Cindy and Dave went to Chops for dinner, but still made it to the show so that we could cheer for Reuben, Austin, and especially ANDREW. :D

Then Dave took us out for a birthday drink at the Champagne Bar, a woefully under-used place on this cruise. Cindy had a Flirtini, Dave has a martini, and I had a Lemon Drop. YUMMMMMMMMM.

lemon drops are my favorite...Carol, have one for me...glad to hear you are feeling better...

happy birthday dave

Our itinerary shows Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica for today's port call.

Most cruises dock at Punta Arenas.

We did, too. We were indeed scheduled to dock at Puerto Caldera, but that's really the cargo dock, and there was a ship stuck in the docking area, so we went about five miles away to the passenger pier at Punta Arenas.

I'm glad that we did.

Letty had organized a tour here with Charlie Sotos' OkeyDokey Tours. They picked us up in two small buses and a van. The guides were excellent. They had water, beer and sodas in cooler chests for us.

Just a note: traffic was horrid. There is really only one main road, and it's under construction. And early/mid-afternoon, there was an awful, fatal traffic accident.

First stop: Monkey world. (no, that's not it's real name) We received chunks of fruit or cookies to offer the monkeys, who are running/climbing around all over the place. Some had luck getting the monkeys to eat from their hands. It took a lot of enticing, but I finally got one to come to me for the chunk of banana in my hand.

Unfortunately, just then, someone basically jumped in front of me and waved a cookie.

Just like a human, the monkey went for the cookie instead of the fruit. ;)

When we got back on our bus, P** and S** told me that they had witnessed Hot Monkey Sex. And I missed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next we stopped at a rest stop/fruit stand, where we sampled large pieces of fresh local produce: Pineapple, papaya or watermelon. YUM.

Then we went on our Jungle River Tour on the Tarcoles River, which is full of crocodiles. The local guides are very proud of their defense of the environment, and we saw many different kinds of birds as well as the crocs.

Our driver actually got out of the boat, walked into knee-deep mud, and offered raw chicken parts to the crocs. VERY VERY dangerous. And very cool to watch. More amazing pictures will be posted soon.

Then we drove to Jaco Beach and had lunch.

It was a great day, and I loved seeing so much of Costa Rica.

Thank you, Letty!

We didn't reboard the ship until after 6, and definitely needed a shower, so I missed/skipped dinner in the MDR, went to the Lotus Lounge to drink my week's worth of free booze in one night, then went up to the WJ for a little supper. Then on to the Love & Marriage Show.........

Tonight it was Len and Letty's turn. (first leg was Pat and Roy, second was Vicki & Woody). As before, it was rather lightly attended. We managed to have fun anyway.

AAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Less than a week to go! :eek:

We didn't reboard the ship until after 6, and definitely needed a shower, so I missed/skipped dinner in the MDR, went to the Lotus Lounge to drink my week's worth of free booze in one night, then went up to the WJ for a little supper. Then on to the Love & Marriage Show.........

Tonight it was Len and Letty's turn. (first leg was Pat and Roy, second was Vicki & Woody). As before, it was rather lightly attended. We managed to have fun anyway.

AAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Less than a week to go! :eek:

Carol, I am just sitting here thinking Life is SO unfair. Here you and I both got on a Cruise Ship on 12/28/08, me on the Voyager, you on the Mariner and for some reason I came home on the 4th of January and you are STILL cruising! So Unfair.

Hey, continue to have a great time and don't worry about some of us who have to wait until July for their next cruise.

HAPPY SAILING!

Colleen

Then we went on our Jungle River Tour on the Tarcoles River, which is full of crocodiles. The local guides are very proud of their defense of the environment, and we saw many different kinds of birds as well as the crocs.

Our driver actually got out of the boat, walked into knee-deep mud, and offered raw chicken parts to the crocs. VERY VERY dangerous. And very cool to watch. More amazing pictures will be posted soon.

Did your guide tell you that you only have to worry about the hippos when they wiggle their ears? ;)

BE MY VALENTINE

I don't believe in fairy tales,

Or Santa Claus and such,

But I do believe in kindness,

And a loving, tender touch.

I don't believe in pots of gold,

At a rainbow's colored end,

But I believe in happiness,

With one who also is a friend.

I don't believe in lucky charms,

Or in playing games of chance,

But I believe in starry nights,

And the warmth of new romance.

I don't believe in potions,

And concoctions, or other brews,

But I really do believe in love,

Which Cupid seems quick to infuse!

So on this day for lovers,

I hope you won't decline,

When I come right out and ask you,

Please be my Valentine!

Carmen Henesy

Copyright 2009 Carmen Henesy. All Rights Reserved.

BE MY VALENTINE

I don't believe in fairy tales,

Or Santa Claus and such,

But I do believe in kindness,

And a loving, tender touch.

I don't believe in pots of gold,

At a rainbow's colored end,

But I believe in happiness,

With one who also is a friend.

I don't believe in lucky charms,

Or in playing games of chance,

But I believe in starry nights,

And the warmth of new romance.

I don't believe in potions,

And concoctions, or other brews,

But I really do believe in love,

Which Cupid seems quick to infuse!

So on this day for lovers,

I hope you won't decline,

When I come right out and ask you,

Please be my Valentine!

Carmen Henesy

Copyright 2009 Carmen Henesy. All Rights Reserved.

Carmen ... WOW

Wow, Nancy! I'm looking at your "UpComing Cruises!" It looks like you're making up for lost time!!! You go, Girl!!!! :D

Thanks Lorna! If I can just find one with you onboard!

I am thinking twice about going on the Mariner on the 19th....With just 3 months under my belt on my transplant all this illness on board has me very worried...with my immune system suppressed and all.

I SOOOOOOOOOO want to go..... Just HOW BAD IS IT, Carol?????:confused:

So tell us Carol....after all this time away from home, did you ever get just the teensiest homesick???

How about those you left behind???

The cat is staying with my substitute teacher.

My daughter is in England in school.

My son is in Spain in school.

There's no one in Merion to be homesick FOR.

:)

It was a very nice sea day.

Most people are better or getting better. There are a few new cases of galloping crud, but the wave seems to be subsiding.

The "Film Festival" is really ramping up. Today we were treated to a brand new film, a documentary/full-length feature film called Gotta Dance. It's the story of the seniors' dance team of the NJ Nets. The director and dance coach are on board. (as a matter of fact, the director and her kids played trivia with us tonight - really nice kids!)

Carol Channing is reportedly already on board, but I am not among those who have reported spotting her. Cloris left us in Costa Rica.

Tonight was the Liars Club. It was HILARIOUS. The three "panelists" were Abe (the cruise director), Simeon (a member of the CD's staff) and Captain Johnny himself.

It was extremely ribald and funny. Katie (activities manager) hosted, and it was just side-splitting. Let's see if I can remember the words: whisterpoop, *s*h*i*ttah, kakkerlak and cockermouth.

Just let those roll around in your mind and your mouth for a while. :D

Rick and Bobbie hosted a lovely cocktail party in their cabin this afternoon.

People have been asking about these things, so here goes:

Abe will stay on the Mariner until about March 22 or 29, then he will get about 10 weeks of vacation before returning to the MOS.

Captain Johnny will leave the Mariner on February 22 and take 10 weeks off, then return to the Mariner.

carol i have been reading all of your posts since about the 1st of the yr and you have made waiting for the mariner of the sea's on march 15th (4 weeks...count'm) go by very very quick...very glads to hear that you are getting over the crud...one week left for you then it's back to reality...will the cat remmeber you...it maybe a cold reception from the kitty...i happy to hear that abe will still be our cruise director on the 15th but very very disapointed that capt j is taking his vacation right away...any way to convince him to tick around til the 22nd of march...fat chance...have a great last week on board and safe travels back to pennsylvania...the spring thaw is over and winter is back in minneapolis

Tonight was the Liars Club. It was HILARIOUS. The three "panelists" were Abe (the cruise director), Simeon (a member of the CD's staff) and Captain Johnny himself.

It was extremely ribald and funny. Katie (activities manager) hosted, and it was just side-splitting. Let's see if I can remember the words: whisterpoop, *s*h*i*ttah, kakkerlak and cockermouth.

Just let those roll around in your mind and your mouth for a while. :D

By far the highlight of my Mariner cruise last summer was the Liar's Club. I don't think I have ever laughed that hard before. Simeon was Captain Chlamydia and was the greatest.

Archived