Dress for Dining Room

tinkandpan

We are new to the bigger ships- usually we go on Windstar etc where everything is country club casual. We are set to go on the Monarch in Feb- it's a short cruise and I am trying to cut down on what we are bringing. Is it acceptable for my son (7) to wear khakis and either a short sleeve polo shirt or long sleeve button down. I really don't want to bring a jacket- (if yes, we will probably just eat in the jade those nights). We're from NYC and no one dresses like I hear people dressing on these ships so I don't want to seem inappropriate.

Formal night recommendations are for at least a dark suit, if not a tux. (I certainly wouldn't go to the expense of that, if you don't have it already!)

At 7 yo, what you'll be dressing him in is fine, especially on a 3 nighter. There will, however, be folks in evening gowns and tuxes (just so you know)....they won't deny you entry into the dining room. I guess it depends on your comfort level.

I don't think he needs a jacket. I think a long sleeve shirt would be fine. No tie needed either. There are five adult men in the group I travel with. Of those, only two wear jackets (no tuxes) on formal nights. The others just wear dark long sleeve shirts and slacks. Everyone looks great!

ETA: My signature picture shows my (then) 3.5 year old on formal night. The only reason he's wearing a jacket is that his older cousin had just outgrown it and he had it for Easter the week before. I doubt he'll have one for the cruise we'll be on in three months and I'm not going to seek one out either.

Formal night recommendations are for at least a dark suit, if not a tux. (I certainly wouldn't go to the expense of that, if you don't have it already!)

At 7 yo, what you'll be dressing him in is fine, especially on a 3 nighter. There will, however, be folks in evening gowns and tuxes (just so you know)....they won't deny you entry into the dining room. I guess it depends on your comfort level.

On Princess my nephew wore slacks, a dress shirt and tie. He does not have a suit. My kids wore suits because they already had them. Most men wear suits, but I saw plenty of kids in dress shirts with ties.

Archived