Half Moon Cay Reservations

arlsvera

We are going on the Eurodam for Thanksgiving 2009. I want to reserve a cabana on Half Moon Cay. How far in advance can I do that? When I try to make the reservation on line, it says I cannot do that yet, but it doesn't say when they open up the reservations. I called Holland America and the lady I spoke to had no idea. I know the cabanas sell out quickly, so I want to jump on the reservations as soon as it's possible. This is my first post, so thanks in advance for your replies.

-Arlene

There is not "set date" for HMC/excursion reservations. I've heard of people booking them over 9 months out.

I checked daily for a couple of months and I booked it about 5 1/2 months prior to sailing (then HMC was canceled on our cruise-LOL). I strongly recommend staying active in your "Roll Call". The more eyes...the better! Good luck!

I have also seen people posting here that they have booked the cabanas nearly 9 months before the cruise.

That may have been me, KK. I posted that we reserved our cabana 8-9 months before our upcoming April cruise. That was probably unusually early, but you just never know.

Arlesvera, just check the excursions for your cruise on the HAL website often, good luck, and welcome to Cruise Critic!

Thanks for the quick feedback. I was hoping for an exact date so I could grab a cabana as quickly as possible! We were on Half Moon Cay a year ago (and lucked into a cabana) - and now it is a MUST for our next cruise!

Since I am new to this and don't know the terminology -- what is "roll call?"

Thanks!

-Arlene

Thanks for the quick feedback. I was hoping for an exact date so I could grab a cabana as quickly as possible! We were on Half Moon Cay a year ago (and lucked into a cabana) - and now it is a MUST for our next cruise!

Thanks!

-Arlene

Go to the main "Cruise Critic Message Boards" page. Scroll down to the "Roll Calls" section and click on Holland America, then click on Eurodam and then find your specific cruise blog. There is one for your cruise already. Good luck.

Arlene - First, welcome to the CC! You'll also find out more about roll calls by reading the 'sticky' (threads that the moderators stick to the top of the page) covering them. This can be found at the top of the HAL forum.

Our cruise is just over 9 months out and I check DAILY (sometimes twice daily) - it's almost become an obsession. I hope HAL takes pity on me and opens up the cabana bookings sooner rather than later. I don't know if my heart can take another 3+ months of worrying about whether I get a cabana or not! LOL :D

Also, since your cruise is a long ways off, don't necessarily count on the fact that anyone has started a roll call yet (speaking from experience). You may have to be the first.

I know bookings for cabanas opened in May for our cruise at the end of January. Within 3-4 days they were all taken. We found out by luck; many on our roll call found out when it was posted there. I believe our roll call has booked 9 or the 15 cabanas.

And no, they won't tell you the date in advance!

Since the time frame for opening the cabana bookings varies so widely, I wonder what kind of formula they use to pick a date? Is it based on when the ship's bookings reach a certain %? Or is it some random thing, like one day the HAL Executive VP for Cabana Bookings sits down at her desk and decides there isn't much on her task list today so maybe she'll start taking new bookings just for the fun of it? Or does some computer program somewhere monitor how frequently schmoes like me check to see if the bookings are open, and then once a certain number of failed attempts has been reached (25? 50? 692?) the bookings automatically open up?

Yes, these are the things I obsess about!

Thanks for all the input! I did go to the roll call section and I saw that there is already talk about the Thanksgiving 2009 cruise. I guess I'm not the only one planning the details this far in advance! I'll keep checking this site (and keep my fingers crossed!) and hopefully I'll get one of those wonderful cabanas...

-Arlene

We are going on the Eurodam for Thanksgiving 2009. I want to reserve a cabana on Half Moon Cay. How far in advance can I do that? When I try to make the reservation on line, it says I cannot do that yet, but it doesn't say when they open up the reservations. I called Holland America and the lady I spoke to had no idea. I know the cabanas sell out quickly, so I want to jump on the reservations as soon as it's possible. This is my first post, so thanks in advance for your replies.

-Arlene

This is our first cruise in 15 years and have never been on HAL is this Cabana you refer to the same one that they offer as the "Private Cabana package" for $249 for 4 people? What is avaiable on the island if you don't have a cabana?

This is our first cruise in 15 years and have never been on HAL is this Cabana you refer to the same one that they offer as the "Private Cabana package" for $249 for 4 people? What is avaiable on the island if you don't have a cabana?

It is the same one. If we're traveling w/ another couple, we always try and get one.

When it just the two of us, we get a "clamshell" ($15 on the HAL excursion link). The clamshell acommodates two beach chairs (which are free and plentiful). Other than that, other activities (e.g. para sailing, horseback riding, massages and a host of other stuff) are offered.

We just enjoy the beach and HMC is our favorite stop. One time the DW did get a massage and she loved it.

Archived