Southhampton, UK Which Aiport?

HKG

Which is the best airport to fly into from the US if taking the VOS cruise from SouthHampton, UK?

Thank you

The answer may depend more on where you are flying from and what airlines serve your local airport. I believe that both Gatwick and Heathrow are similar distances from Southampton or are close enough that it shouldn't be a major factor in your decision. Choose the flight that best matches your schedule. When we fly to England for a cruise, we prefer the morning flights that get us into London at night so that we are well rested before we begin sightseeing or traveling to the ship. I believe that Southampton, like Harwich and Dover will be a couple of hours driving time from London.:)

If you are catching a short flight from Heathrow or Gatwick to Southampton my suggestion would be to avoid Flybe airlines. I had nothing but trouble with them. Flight was 3 times delayed and then canceled and only after we (around 40 dissatisfied fellow flyers) raised some cane did they agree to hire a coach to drive us.

I wound up getting into Southampton around 3 AM the next day (I was originally scheduled to get there around noon the day before). I paid for an airline ticket and got a bus ride.

The weather was fine. The issue was not enough equipment. In talking to the coach driver he indicated that it happens a few times each month and they hire him to drive instead.

Which is the best airport to fly into from the US if taking the VOS cruise from SouthHampton, UK?

Thank you

There is a great forum here on CC which should be of help to you :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=233

By the way it is Southampton (all one word ;))

Hope you have a great cruise :D

If you are catching a short flight from Heathrow or Gatwick to Southampton my suggestion would be to avoid Flybe airlines. I had nothing but trouble with them. Flight was 3 times delayed and then canceled and only after we (around 40 dissatisfied fellow flyers) raised some cane did they agree to hire a coach to drive us.

I wound up getting into Southampton around 3 AM the next day (I was originally scheduled to get there around noon the day before). I paid for an airline ticket and got a bus ride.

The weather was fine. The issue was not enough equipment. In talking to the coach driver he indicated that it happens a few times each month and they hire him to drive instead.

That´s the airline that just got into the news, because the pilot of a flight to Paris returned to his departure airport as there was fog in Paris. He said he couldn´t land in Paris not becaue of bad weather, but because he was not trained to land in that weather condition yet:eek::eek::eek:

As said, it depends what you are going to do. Most flights US-UK are overnight, so you could arrive in the UK at say 8am and then get down to Soton (thats short for southampton). If you do this, fly into Gatwick if you can. The train station is at the south terminal of Gatwick airport (there is a free rail shuttle between terminals). Trains run every hour at 9 minutes past. It takes about 1hr 50mins (as its a stopping train; about 12 stops) to Southampton Central. Its then a 5 minute taxi ride to the ship. Train about £18, cab about£6.

If you go to Heathrow, its not as easy, so much so that I would be inclined to take the ship transfer bus. However, if you are stopping in London for a day or two you can easily get the Heathrow Express (£15) which drops you at Paddington station. If you then wanted to go 'on your own' to Soton you can either go from Waterloo station to Soton (quicker 1hr 30mins, less stops) or Victoria (slower 2hrs 30mins, more stops). Prices are around £25, but if you go to http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ about 11 weeks before you travel and put in all the info, you will see a 'button' for check for lowest fare. You can get it online for as little as £3, just depends what they are doing for prices at that time. Apart from this case there is no real need to pre book, just buy your ticket at the station.

Simon

Archived