Hong Kong Octopus Card

cruiseidaho

We will be in Hong Kong for two days in April, 2009 and plan to visit most attractions on our own, using the extensive HK tranportation system. It looks as if the Octopus Card is a must for extensive travel on the MTR and local busses. The card is listed at HK$150 with HK$50 being a refundable deposit and HK$100 called stored value. Is this enough to cover two days travel on systems that visit most of the major attractions? If the HK$100 is used up, can you then use the HK$50 deposit or must you add more to the HK$50? If the deposit is left over, can you get it refunded? Thanks for any info you can impart.

While not necessary, the card certainly is the way to go. Quite a few convenience stores (and some restaurants) accept payment via it also.

The HK$50 is a deposit and can not be used for payment.

You can top of the card at any time.

When you return the card, you get the deposit back PLUS any remaining balance.

We will be in Hong Kong for two days in April, 2009 and plan to visit most attractions on our own, using the extensive HK tranportation system. It looks as if the Octopus Card is a must for extensive travel on the MTR and local busses. The card is listed at HK$150 with HK$50 being a refundable deposit and HK$100 called stored value. Is this enough to cover two days travel on systems that visit most of the major attractions? If the HK$100 is used up, can you then use the HK$50 deposit or must you add more to the HK$50? If the deposit is left over, can you get it refunded? Thanks for any info you can impart.

Octopus certainly is the way to go in HK. Makes traveling so much easier without needing to search for small change. The initial value of the card should see you through the 2 days you are there. The card also allows you to go into negative (up to HK$ 35 I believe, so utilise part of the deposit) There appears to be a small handling fee if you return card within 3 months of issue. Here is the link to their website for more details http://www.octopuscards.com/consumer/products/en/index.jsp

An excellent website also for lots of info about HK is http://www.hongkongextras.com/index.html (includes a very good section about the Octopus card)

Important note : There is a special card for 'Elders' (seniors) at reduced rate - public transport rates for seniors is often half of adult rates ! (Seniors travel free on the ferry between Kowloon and HK Island)

Hope you enjoy your time in HK - we had 4 great days there in October :)

Octopus certainly is the way to go in HK. Makes traveling so much easier without needing to search for small change. The initial value of the card should see you through the 2 days you are there. The card also allows you to go into negative (up to HK$ 35 I believe, so utilise part of the deposit) There appears to be a small handling fee if you return card within 3 months of issue. Here is the link to their website for more details http://www.octopuscards.com/consumer/products/en/index.jsp

An excellent website also for lots of info about HK is http://www.hongkongextras.com/index.html (includes a very good section about the Octopus card)

Important note : There is a special card for 'Elders' (seniors) at reduced rate - public transport rates for seniors is often half of adult rates ! (Seniors travel free on the ferry between Kowloon and HK Island)

Hope you enjoy your time in HK - we had 4 great days there in October :)

Thank you very much! Lots of great information. This will be a big help.

I've never been to Hong Hong for less than 5+ days, so whether the HK$100 is enough for one day or not, I really do not remember.

If I recall, you need an "add-on" for trips to/from the airport. They offer 1-way or round trip add-on.

I've never been to Hong Hong for less than 5+ days, so whether the HK$100 is enough for one day or not, I really do not remember.

If I recall, you need an "add-on" for trips to/from the airport. They offer 1-way or round trip add-on.

It sounds like the add-on is easy enough if one needs it. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

The problem with the card is you can only buy and get refund at a subway station which is not always near where you are. It doesn't save you any money. It is just more convenient. Otherwise, the name of the game for public transportation in Hong Kong is always having CHANGE! Otherwise it is extremely easy. Pat

Archived