What brand or type of coffee?

mamacat3

• 3 weeks later...

We picked up ( as was recommended by our Costa Rican wait staff) Rey, Britt and Triangle. All are available in the market area at the dock.

We bought the lighter roast . We just returned today and already had a pot of the Rey. It was very good and smooth.

Enjoy

M

I brought back some Brit and was not too impressed. To be fair, I roast my own beans and don't like a bean that is over a week old.

When shopping for roasted coffee, look at the use by dates on the bag for hint of freshness..

There are different roasts available, but I recommend a light roast. Costa Rican coffee is considered 'smooth" because, like Kona, it is low acid. in fact, it is so similar in taste to Kona that some roasters got caught blending with with coffee claiming to be "100%" Kona a few years ago.

Costa Rican coffee, like most central america coffees, doesn't lend itself to dark roasting, so stick with a light roast and a fresh date and you should be good.

Can Green beans be purchased? We hope to do a tour of the coffee plantations. Anyone been on this tour? We will be on Celebrity. Thanks, jane

Probably. If you ask most people, they'll think you are insane and tell you that you can't make coffee from green beans, that it has to be roasted! I guess they find it hard to believe that some know that a fresh cup of coffee starts with fresh roasted beans, not beans that were roasted three months ago.

My tour guide in Costa Rica told me that green beans can only be obtained from the farms, so I say you have a shot.

Just remember that technically, you can't bring them into the U.S. without declaring them as they are, according to customs, "seeds". I haven't hurt of anyone getting busted for green beans. If I got caught, I'd plead ignorance.

I got tired of the beans I got from Costa Rica last month, so I roasted up some Nicarauga Pacamera Peaberry beans and added the 50/50 to the old coffee. it made things a lot better.

Probably. If you ask most people, they'll think you are insane and tell you that you can't make coffee from green beans, that it has to be roasted! I guess they find it hard to believe that some know that a fresh cup of coffee starts with fresh roasted beans, not beans that were roasted three months ago.

My tour guide in Costa Rica told me that green beans can only be obtained from the farms, so I say you have a shot.

Just remember that technically, you can't bring them into the U.S. without declaring them as they are, according to customs, "seeds". I haven't hurt of anyone getting busted for green beans. If I got caught, I'd plead ignorance.

I got tired of the beans I got from Costa Rica last month, so I roasted up some Nicarauga Pacamera Peaberry beans and added the 50/50 to the old coffee. it made things a lot better.

All good information. I guess coffee is like Scotch in a sense. There are different blends for different tastes. We actually like the Costa Rican blend that Trader Joes.

Archived