RCI Southbound

freckledcat

Does anyone have any feedback about RCI on the Southbound route?

DH and I are planning our first cruise this July.

I have so many questions but let's start with:

How early do we need to book the train from Anchorage to Seward, does it fill fast?

Do cruises get cheaper closer to the date? Should we book now or wait?

My wife and I really enjoy both the ship (the Radiance) and the itinerary (Icy Strait Point and Hubbard Glacier in particular). You can see our lengthy photojournal of the trip (including the ship and excursions) at http://www.youralaskacruise.com/reviews/alaskacruises2006/page3.html

No worry about the train - they just add more cars as they sell seats.

There are deals on cruises in general at the last minute. The problem is that you don't usually get much choice as to what ships/sailings are available, and the last-minute air fare will almost certainly wipe out cruise savings.

Murray

I am looking at the same cruise, but in July of 2010.

As far as booking a cruise, the good thing is that if it is booked and the price goes down, your TA can reprice it and lower your final payment or you will get an onboard credit.

I know flights get more expensive the closer you get to the date.

Good luck.

Looking forward to hearing about your cruise after you get back.

Does anyone have any feedback about RCI on the Southbound route?

DH and I are planning our first cruise this July.

I have so many questions but let's start with:

How early do we need to book the train from Anchorage to Seward, does it fill fast?

Do cruises get cheaper closer to the date? Should we book now or wait?

I booked the Radiance for July 3rd last September. It was very expensive.

I already got a $1200 price reduction (for two rooms) & I called today b/c

it appears it went down another couple of hundred (travel agent is getting

back to me). They will give you a price reduction, but I have to keep checking the prices, they won't call me to tell me (at least my travel agent doesn't) I would book now & keep checking the price. Our cruise

seems like it's filling up

We booked our May 2009 Radiance southbound cruise while on board our May 2008 Radiance southbound cruise - we enjoyed the cruise so much we rebooked the same itinerary. While it is true that our cruise has gone down considerably (about $1,200) I think we got a break due to the weak economy. 2009 will be our 4th cruise to Alaska and the first time I have ever realized any real considerable reduction in my cruise pricing. My advice to you is to keep checking your price once you have booked your cruise.

Always keep track of pricing trends yourself. Immediately contact the booking agent for an adjustment.

I have always sailed Alaska cheap, as I go for cheap inside cabins. :) I have picked up some late bookings that were significant deals.

There has been some sell outs of the Alaska RR, I have personally been on a train that did so a few years ago. IF you are firm on your sailing date, then there is little reason to delay booking??

Archived