5 day or 7?

jessica3306

Congratulations on your first cruise! How exciting. My DH and I have been on several cruises, 4's, 5's and a 7-night. We're in our late 30's, enjoy all kinds of travel, are cruise addicts (we met on a cruise) and we prefer 5-nights overall. We're taking my stepson and his cousin in April on their first cruise and have chosen a 5-night for that one as well. To us, 4 nights seemed too short and the 7 night seemed much too long.

Enjoy!

Wow- a 7 day doesn't seem long enough for me! I would love to one day be able to afford, not only financially but timewise, an around the world cruise. A girl can dream :]

If this is a first cruise for anyone, opt for the 5 nighter. That way if...gasp...cruising isn't for them, you haven't spent a ton of money but you still get a nice little get away.

We've done 3, 4, 5 and 7 day cruises. 5 or 6 days would be just about right for me. Since you have little ones, I would definitely go for 5 days over 7.

Make sure you take advantage of any military discounts on cruise fare, hotel rooms, etc. I took my daughter, who is brand new Army National Guard, on a cruise last month and the cabin was at a nice discount, as were hotel rooms before and after.

Please thank your hubby for me. And, thank you for standing by him during his time away serving our country.

Have fun!

7 days. Balcony.

Everything else is just wasted time:D

Either 5 or 7, Have a great trip! Post up a review when you get back! Enjoy!

how elitist. A 3-5-7 or more cruise is still a cruise. Our first was a 4 day & we loved it. Our last was a 7 day & I was exhausted due to 3 port days in a row & overdoing it. Also, a balcony is not a must with everyone.

Maybe we should all wear our category #'s on our shirts so everyone would know who are the "real cruisers" in the group.

With children in tow & first time, short is fine, if you care to try it.

how elitist. A 3-5-7 or more cruise is still a cruise. Our first was a 4 day & we loved it. Our last was a 7 day & I was exhausted due to 3 port days in a row & overdoing it. Also, a balcony is not a must with everyone.

Maybe we should all wear our category #'s on our shirts so everyone would know who are the "real cruisers" in the group.

With children in tow & first time, short is fine, if you care to try it.

I think you took his post the wrong way. I think he was just expressing his opinion that he prefers 7 days in a balcony. ;)

Our first cruises were short ones -- three and four day cruises. After we graduated to seven night cruises, it's hard to consider anything less. We did a four night cruise about a year ago because we had some friends who wanted to "try out" cruising and they wanted to start with a short one. It was fun, but it just wasn't the same. To me, a seven night cruise is much more relaxing because we pace ourselves a bit better. But that's just MY opinion, and there's nothing wrong with starting with a five night cruise. :D

Depending on where you live and how close to a port you are. If having to pay for airfare, do a 7 day. If driving, try a shorter cruise first but remember that the smaller boats tend to have more motion than the larger boats. Also, don't waste money on a balcony room. Inside is just fine and you aren't in the room much anyways. Call Carnival to make the arrangements and tell them military but they will ask you for documentation. With military, the rates are lower and sometimes they up you several categories.

Pick one of the boats that have been upgraded and has good ports for your kids to enjoy. Make sure you use Camp Carnival too to give you and your husband some time to yourselves.

Enjoy!

A)Are you immune to motion sickness?

B)Do you have the money?

C)Can your kids handle being on a boat for 7 days?

If the answer to all three of those questions is yes, then I'd go with the 7-day. The longer, the better in my opinion. Whatever you decide to do, congrats on your first cruise and I hope you have an excellent time. I always do.

We are going on a cruise for the first time in March. Would you suggest a 5 or 7 day cruise??

We will be brining our kids who will be 3 and 14 months old.

Just me, but I think I would do a 5 and see how the kids like it. Your 3 yr old will be able to enjoy Camp Carnival. but the 14 mos old will always be with you. He or she can go in Camp Carnival from only 10 pm-3 am. I believe it's $6/hr

Have fun!!

Hi everyone, I am new to the board. On our first cruise we were nervous and excited so we decided to try a short 4 day cruise on the Carnival Holiday out of Mobile. We loved it so much, we went again on their 5 day cruise. I have lots of friends who have done the same just to make sure they "like" cruising.

Hi everyone, I am new to the board. On our first cruise we were nervous and excited so we decided to try a short 4 day cruise on the Carnival Holiday out of Mobile. We loved it so much, we went again on their 5 day cruise. I have lots of friends who have done the same just to make sure they "like" cruising.

Very Nice ! :) Welcome to cruising.. Now you need to try a cruise on the "Fantasy" or another Fantasy Class ship as that will be the next step up in size and offerings from the "Holiday" . I think that I read that the "Fantasy" was relocating to Alabama in place of the "Holiday" if I'm correct. That would make it easy right ? :D

We are booked on the inaugural Fantasy cruise in November out of Mobile. With it being a special 6 day/3 port cruise, we just could not resist. I hate to see the Holiday go but am glad they are bringing in a newer and bigger ship. We are probably going out one last time on the Holiday in May (graduation present for our son).

Oh, nice meeting you today JETSKIER. Man talk about a cruise lover!!!

First off thank your DH from myself and my DH for his service to our country..without them we would be lost and in BIG trouble..also I am well aware of the sacrafices you have made during his deployment..I send best wishes to you both...now for an answer for you..

Personally I love 7 days...and it's true they go by way too fast...but that being said..you might want to give the 5 day a try for your first cruise..especially with little ones in tow...and on that note I vote for a balcony if your budget can afford the difference...reason being the little ones are going to have to take naps..for Mom and Dad's sake to keep your sanity :D and if you have a balcony you can sit out there while they are napping and be close if they need you but not in the same room so they perhaps will be distracted and not sleep...whatever you decide may it be the best vacation you have ever taken and may you have the very best memories to cherish for a long time to come...

Emmy

Thank you guys so much!!!!

Probably gonna do a 5 day! Daycare for under 2 is only from 10-3am?? I know they charge for under 2, but if thats the case then we probably will figure out something else...who knows! Just need to figure it out SOON! But I have no clue what we are doing haha!

Thank you guys so much!!!!

Probably gonna do a 5 day! Daycare for under 2 is only from 10-3am?? I know they charge for under 2, but if thats the case then we probably will figure out something else...who knows! Just need to figure it out SOON! But I have no clue what we are doing haha!

Yeah, only from 10-3 a.m. Honestly and I would never burst anyones vacation bubble, but I would wait until the baby can enjoy camp carnival..and honestly you can enjoy yourselves. We just got off a couple of days ago, and having that Camp Carnival made it great for our husband and I. We could go eat in the dining room with no kids and that was really nice, or just go sit and have a relaxing drink. I saw a few others with small babies and I could tell they looked stressed.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best!:)

We are booked on the inaugural Fantasy cruise in November out of Mobile. With it being a special 6 day/3 port cruise, we just could not resist. I hate to see the Holiday go but am glad they are bringing in a newer and bigger ship. We are probably going out one last time on the Holiday in May (graduation present for our son).

Oh, nice meeting you today JETSKIER. Man talk about a cruise lover!!!

It is just 22 cruises in four years...Actually it is worse than that as we waited a year between the first and second one. :p Finally back home from the firework tent. We got everything packed up yesterday. I have to go back next Saturday and take the tent down. Now to kill some time until our next cruise in February.

Dave

Sounds good, I think we will first try a 5 day. My husband is deployed right now to Iraq and this is going to be our welcome home present to ourselves ;) I cant WAIT! I am so excited!!!

Anyone have any great suggestions?

Make sure you get the Military discount.....

Archived