? for those of you with teens

vacationprincess

We have a "cruise routine" that in the past has worked well with everyone. Kids eat early at buffet and go to kids club - hubby and I eat and go to a show etc... We pick everyone up at 10 and go to bed. I love to get up early and walk to exercise or just walk around so staying up late is not an option or I will be exhausted by the end of the trip. My question is...

I've noticed the Remix activities go until sometimes after midnight. My daughter is a night owl and I don't mind if she participates but does she call me when she is ready to leave and I go get her in my robe? I really don't want her to come back to the room by herself. She is 13 and we will be travelling during spring break.

Thanks for any opinions on what has worked for others.

We let 2 thirteen year old girls stay out to all hours of the morning, BUT they had to be IN the room that was hosted by the staff and they called us when they left that room and were walking to ours. They had to come straight to us with NO detours. We checked on them several times and the plan worked well for us. If we were getting up extra early then we picked them up early but most of the time they thought they were big shots. They did fall asleep on the catamaran in the afternoon on two trips but had plenty of energy to go swimming and eat (must reset the recharge battery!).

We talked about strangers, getting lost, no going in rooms, etc. Yes, I lost some sleep keeping one eye open till they came in but they loved being with the group. During the day and early evening we allowed them to walk or talk by the pool and as long as they stayed with the herd. We did random checks, sometimes without letting them see us and they were very well behaved. They knew all would be taken away if any rules were broken.

They cruised with us several times-now 19- and as they grew more freedom came-but we still knew where they were and when they would be back. They had the times of their lives. They started cruising at 10 but they did not get out at night till 13.

we took our 15 yo twin boys and 17 yo daughter on the CB in Oct. Only one of the twins enjoyed Remix. We made sure that the buddy system was in effect and he met up with another boy who's room was on our deck and they walked around together. He had to call me when he was back in his room (they were across the hall). The other two hung out together. I think with spelling out the rules in advance and holding them accountable, they should be safe. Anything can happen anywhere at any time, but there comes a time that we had to cut them some slack. We let them sign in and out but they had to tell us where they're going. Remix was open til 1 AM and I think he stayed there almost every night til then! We tried the walkie talkie thing on a prior cruise and had too many issues with others using the same channels etc. We just set times to meet and where for check in and always let them know where we would be. I'm happy to say that I never had to have a panic attack once and didn't chase around after them! Just make the rules and safety lecture very clear with what the outcomes will be if not followed and make sure they have a watch!

Archived