$3.95 Service Charge for Room Service starting

First of all, realistically how many people routinely order room service between midnight and 5 am? (I am sure there are plenty who do it because they think they can....not out of necessity). If I feel the need to place that order, I shouldn't be offended at the $4 charge and if I am I shouldn't be on the cruise to begin with!!!!

First of all, realistically how many people routinely order room service between midnight and 5 am? (I am sure there are plenty who do it because they think they can....not out of necessity). If I feel the need to place that order, I shouldn't be offended at the $4 charge and if I am I shouldn't be on the cruise to begin with!!!!

By the looks of pax on a Cruise Ship, Most don't need to eat for the Whole Cruise for that matter!:D

It's not the $3.95 charge, it's the point of the matter!

People who aren't meant to leave their back holes...oops I meant yard are now on cruises,

Before you flame me, I just did the cheap internet special but I bought nice dresses for formal night and MDR:D

Wow, what a snobby remark. Exactly what kind of people are meant to stay in their back yards all the time? Those types are obviously less of a person than you...:rolleyes:

Some people can be so mean. I'm starting to get tired of these boards because of comments like that. Go ahead and flame me. I do not plan on returning to this thread anyway.

I just had a great idea, if you want to order room service after midnight you could knock on your neighbors doors to see if they want to split an order so you could split the fee. It would be a win-win situation for everyone! ;)

What if I offer to go and pick up my order @ the Kitchen? Will I still be charged?:confused:

You folks of course all realize that because of this thread there are some unfortunate RCI execs that have spent the entire weekend in some backroom at headquarters playing with there little calculators trying to figure out how much each one of these changes will impact their bottom line. As soon as a post is added to the thread they start frantically pushing the buttons again. I heard one of them had to be rushed to the hospital. He had an anxiety attack when the batteries in his calculator died.....:eek::D

hmmmmmm....based on what I've read early in this thread, most of the early cheerleaders...er......ah, posters, will be all for any and all al a carte changes put forth by the "can do no wrong RCI management" for the following reasons:

A. I don't use the service so let those who do pay for it (or it does't affect me).

B. If it bothers you, rethink if you can afford a cruise (or I can afford being gouged).

C. It keeps the base price of a cruise lower (or sailing on Greyhound is good enough for me).

D. There are more important things in life to worry about (or it still hasn't affected me yet).

E. RCI is not a charitable organization (or I own 100 shares and think I can still get even).

F. It will eliminate waste (or can I have my 3rd lobster tonight crowd).

G. All of the above (or my RCI passion blinds me from the dumbing down cruise trends).

What if I offer to go and pick up my order @ the Kitchen? Will I still be charged?:confused:

Your better off just packing a pack of lunch bags in your luggage ( I've seen this many times), and while at the WJ, fill um up! Take the snacks back to your cabin ( you do have a mini fridge as of YET), then fill it up for your late night snacking!

This will save a trip to the Kitchen after midnight and the $3.95 chump change!:D

Wow, what a snobby remark. Exactly what kind of people are meant to stay in their back yards all the time? Those types are obviously less of a person than you...:rolleyes:

Some people can be so mean. I'm starting to get tired of these boards because of comments like that. Go ahead and flame me. I do not plan on returning to this thread anyway.

I will gladly answer this for you. I have read on this forum where people go to Jamaica and refer to the locals as 'those people'. I tried to get away from 'those' people. There was a case where someone requested a refund for their vacation because they were surrounded by too many blacks. I have read on this forum about people not understanding why people in Mexico don't speak English. I have seen on cruise decks and all inclusive resorts where people talk down to the staff simply because they are minorities and complained about getting 'better' people to work there. I book the internet special but i know when I travel, whether or not I like the place, that I am a guest. Some people don't get it, there is a cost associated with certain things in life. When you are not paying it, someone else is.

What kind of people are meant to stay in their back yard, here is my list:

The ones who don't know that poverty exist in developing countries

Mexicans speak Spanish, it's your job to lean hola, gracias

Vacations can start out cheap but get expensive quickly

The little dollar you tip can make a big difference to someone else

Poor people working for less, don't make them less of a people

The $6 burger is not gourmet

The people who don't know the chance to take a cruise or any vacation will reamin a dream for many others, so they forget to be grateful that they can.

Ones who forget if you didn't birth it or marry it, there is really no need or obligation to defend it.

Vacationing is like parenting, not because you can , means that you should.....simple!

No flamming from me. If you think what I said was mean, it's worse when you are standing inches from the person saying it....Oucheeeeeeeeee!

IMO where I think the idea for adding a late night room service charge originated -- from the sailings in Europe. Why, because in Europe the tip is already included in your bill so it is not a requirement to tip the server anything extra on top of the included tip unless the service was special. As it is, RCL adds in the tips for non-US passengers as part of the whole deposit.

Doubtful if the staff who deliver room service actually sees any of the $3.95 since tips are pooled. Not really fair to the staff who go over and above in their service and get the same as staff who just give it their minimum.

If RCL is going to add a service charge, the menu should be improved and expanded in exchange for the charge.

With passengers coming from different time zones, not everyone eats at the same time.

IMO I see this as just the start of more charges to come. RCL is testing the waters to see whether or not there will be a large passenger backlash. Has nothing to do with wasted food.

Again, this is a case of passengers booking only to find out that RCL has changed the rules!

MARAPRINCE

Welcome to the nation of “Why Not?”

The mass marketing of cruises to a previously ignored market segment brings along with it a new set of challenges. The “lead in” pricing being used to attract new cruisers is enticing a whole new demographic of people to cruising.

Unfortunately, some of these new (and a few repeat) cruisers leave any semblance of moderation and etiquette at home. Some of the fees initiated by the cruise lines are revenue streams, but others directly address the need to control costs because of the gluttonous behavior of some of their guests. There’s a reason that there aren’t trays in the Windjammer anymore. Do you really think RCL wants to inconvenience their casual diners?

The addition of a “surcharge” for late night/early morning room service will provide both a revenue stream and an effective cost control. Those that truly want or need RS between those hours will have to decide if it's worth $3.95 for the convenience. Those that don’t want or need RS simply won’t use it, because it’ll cost them to exploit the system.

It's really sad that it’s come to this.

Caveat Emptor and Bon Voyage!

Welcome to the nation of “Why Not?”

The mass marketing of cruises to a previously ignored market segment brings along with it a new set of challenges. The “lead in” pricing being used to attract new cruisers is enticing a whole new demographic of people to cruising.

Unfortunately, some of these new (and a few repeat) cruisers leave any semblance of moderation and etiquette at home. Some of the fees initiated by the cruise lines are revenue streams, but others directly address the need to control costs because of the gluttonous behavior of some of their guests. There’s a reason that there aren’t trays in the Windjammer anymore. Do you really think RCL wants to inconvenience their casual diners?

The addition of a “surcharge” for late night/early morning room service will provide both a revenue stream and an effective cost control. Those that truly want or need RS between those hours will have to decide if it's worth $3.95 for the convenience. Those that don’t want or need RS simply won’t use it, because it’ll cost them to exploit the system.

It's really sad that it’s come to this.

Caveat Emptor and Bon Voyage!

Well put. I addressed this topic about food waste on a HAL board last week and had to wear my asbestos undies for days thereafter. :cool:

I'm glad there is some sanity here. :cool::)

Will paying a $3.95 sevice fee to order after midnight prevent them from calling you to check on your order? If so, I'll pay it! That was the MOST ANNOYING thing ever on Legend. We'd order a plate of cookies around 1 AM and get ready for bed while we were waiting. We would eat the cookies, brush the teeth, and go to sleep. Unfortunately Legend has a policy to call the cabin 45 minutes after the order is delivered to make sure everything was okay. That call came about 30 minutes after we'd gone to sleep. I asked them a couple times when I placed the order to not call to check on us because we were going to sleep but was told that they have to do it, it's a ship requirement. We ended up having to take the phone off the hook once our cookies arrived so we would be able to go to sleep and not be interrupted by a phone call. I tried grabbing some cookies from WJ to leave in the cabin for a snack so we wouldn't have to call room service, but our cabin steward kept throwing them out. I even left notes asking her not to throw them out, but she did anyway. :rolleyes: I finally resorted to hiding them in drawers. I suppose I can hide cookies in drawers for late night snacks next cruise.

Never! Never! eat cookies that someone put in their drawers :D

I tried grabbing some cookies from WJ to leave in the cabin for a snack so we wouldn't have to call room service, but our cabin steward kept throwing them out. I even left notes asking her not to throw them out, but she did anyway. :rolleyes: I finally resorted to hiding them in drawers. I suppose I can hide cookies in drawers for late night snacks next cruise.

I personally keep my stash of Coconut Ranger cookies in the room safe. Nope, not kidding! :D

Theron

To me the behavior is the same now as it was 15 years ago from my observations. All this nonsense about spring breakers or it was done because people dont tip late at night is ridiclous.

and YES I think RCL wants to inconvenience their casual diners. If it saves them a buck, they could care less how their diners feel.

I personally keep my stash of Coconut Ranger cookies in the room safe. Nope, not kidding! :D
I didn't think about the safe - seems like more of a hassel to open and close it for cookies. If wrapping them in a napkin and hiding them in a drawer doesn't work out, I'll have to try that. I usually skip dessert with dinner (unless there is something really tempting, which hasn't been the case lately. :() so I need a late night sugar rush. I'm not a fan of the pillow chocolates that RC has.

To me the behavior is the same now as it was 15 years ago from my observations. All this nonsense about spring breakers or it was done because people dont tip late at night is ridiclous.

and YES I think RCL wants to inconvenience their casual diners. If it saves them a buck, they could care less how their diners feel.

Of coarse, some people might think, "Gee, it's 11:40, maybe I should order a bunch of food now in the event that I'm hungary later so I won't have to pay that late night charge. If I don't eat it, big deal it didn't cost anything." The same person might not order food at all since he never got hungary.

Theron

The coconut cookies are the best!!

It would be a bit more interesting if this thread was a survey. Who will still order vs who will not just because of the charge. We always tipped any room service but I can say we have only used it once this late at night or that early in the moring on only one of all of our cruises. Late night pizza or sandwiches around the ship is enough for us. I agree though, if they are going to charge then the menu should be expanded.

BonVoyage

Dawna

If the $3.95 service charge means I won't have an hour wait at 3am for food after returning from the club then I have no problem with it.

Nothing worse then being told one hour for delivery when your buzzed, tired and hungry.

Where did you get the notion that the new charge and the amount of time needed for an order to arrive have anything to do with each other??:confused::D

If people are turned off by a 3.95 charge to order after midninght, then less people will order hence less orders to be delivered and quicker room service delivery times.

Thats just my opinion.

Or... maybe now that the tip is built into the charge they won't feel quite so rushed to get the food to you????:D

Archived