Room change/downgrade after guarantee assigned?

coconutpig

I booked inside guarantees and am really happy with the assignment of the 2 adjoining promanades.

Can I consider this a final room assignment or have there been cases anyone has seen where they downgrade your category guarantee or switch around your cabins?

In other words I want to keep what they assigned me, what's my chances of this happening.

thanks!

With a guarantee, your cabin number isn't really firm until you check in at the pier....they can move you around all they want, depending upon the inventory.

The only thing they cannot and won't do is assign a cabin in a LOWER category than you have purchased.

I just asked this of RCCL today when I got my assignment. They said it's the permanent one, unless I were to be upgraded. They said they won't juggle you around. I.e., they wouldn't move me from a PR to a regular inside now that I've been assigned.

Don't know if that's true but every guaranty I've had on other lines the room never changed. I've only ever had one change in my life was from a specific purchased room. They "upgraded" me from a standard inside to a Superior/Deluxe Inside. The class was higher but my std inside was on Deck 7 or 8 and the Superior one was on Deck 2. I threw a fit about that because I have issues with lower than Deck 4 (please, no judgement since I'm not saying why) and the reason I booked the smaller stateroom was to avoid Deck 2..If I didn't care, I'd have paid a cheap GTY rate! I explained this at the pier and said I'd be in the medical ward the whole time if they wouldn't switch me back. They said they couldn't give me my original choice/class back but they changed staterooms (grudgingly) to a Deck 5. That's all they told me and I assumed it was another inside. Once I got on board, I found it was a nice Oceanview! I don't know if cruise lines really understand that category class is nice but many, many people have issues about the deck they are on. It was a shame that they did something technically nice that I couldn't appreciate but frankly, I couldn't do it.

That said, I've seen people trying to worm their way out of a cabin/deck/class they don't like and it ruins it for the people who genuinely need to make a change. I.e., people trying to get something for nothing versus someone who booked according to the "rules" to get ensure the type of vacation they can relax and be healthy and happy in and then had the tables turned by reassignment. I never knew about that until then, btw. But now that I know, I know that an "upgrade" in the cruiseline's eyes are not always an upgrade in the passenger's eyes.

amel232, may I suggest in the future, since deck location really does matter to you, that you make sure to mark all your bookings no upgrade. Even if you book a specific room, not a guarantee, unless you mark your reservation no upgrade they can always "upgrade" you. And yes, sometimes an upgrade to the cruiseline can sometimes not be a good thing for the person that receives it - doesn't matter the reason.

amel232, may I suggest in the future, since deck location really does matter to you, that you make sure to mark all your bookings no upgrade. Even if you book a specific room, not a guarantee, unless you mark your reservation no upgrade they can always "upgrade" you. And yes, sometimes an upgrade to the cruiseline can sometimes not be a good thing for the person that receives it - doesn't matter the reason.

That's great advice and something I'd put on my reservation in the future for certain. My TA had that in my profile and always took care of that since that incident. Sadly that agency has since gone out of business so now I fend for myself :(

Thanks!

That's great advice and something I'd put on my reservation in the future for certain. My TA had that in my profile and always took care of that since that incident. Sadly that agency has since gone out of business so now I fend for myself :(

Oh I understand. My first travel agent retired and I thought I would handle things myself for awhile. It only took one screw up booking directly with RCCL for me to go finding another TA (who is absolutely wonderful). Unfortunately it can be hard to find a good TA - luck of the draw sometimes.

Archived