Web Cams

Shogun

Hi folks,

Just been watching the Sea Princess leaving Tortola, a few ships where in port today and left ahead off her.

Question,

When did Princess start using web cams,

What was the first Ship

Do you think they should another web cam on the ship if so where,

yours Shogun

I have no idea when or which ship, but I would like to see another webcam somewhere on the ship where you could see passengers. I'd love to be able to go stand there at an appointed time and assure my 94 year old Mom that we are indeed, perfectly ok! :) It seems to me that I remember webcams in the atriums of some ships..............wonder what happened to those?:confused:

Shogun... I have no answers to your questions, just speculation. :p They probably came into use somewhere in the late '90's or early 2000's.

Yeah, I think they should have a cam that you could go by and say "hey Mom!" to... I think that'd be great! Maybe in the Internet Cafes?

And, there's always the wedding cams in some ships. I'm not sure they're active all the time though.. At night, most ships turn their cams so they face aft. I've had friends stand at a designated time at a designated spot and I've gotten a screen capture. Yeah, you really can't see who they are, but it is an interesting momento.. It'd be great if the cams could be controlled like some land-based ones, such as the one at the San Diego port. Here's a capture that I had my son take of my companion and I before our Ensenada coastal last year on the Dawn. He had to really zoom in...

2472178089_b7d4bb3462_m.jpg

I also seem to remember at one time that you could see people walk through the atrium but boy that was quite awhile ago. I truly cannot remember when they changed over to the camera position that they have now. Now more and more you see them looking at the MUTS screen at nite.(the onles who have MUTS anyway).

Marilyn

When did Princess start using web cams,

What was the first Ship

1999, Grand Princess. There was a PC on the bridge

with an actual 'web cam', like you would have at home.

The computer officer at the time did it as a lark.

It caught on.

I also seem to remember at one time that you could see people walk through the atrium but boy that was quite awhile ago. I truly cannot remember when they changed over to the camera position that they have now. Now more and more you see them looking at the MUTS screen at nite.(the onles who have MUTS anyway).

Marilyn

I remember that too. Specifically, the Sea Princess had an atrium cam back in 2001 ish. I remember watching people dance. I loved that!

Hi Folks,

The atrium cam sounds like a great idea , I wonder why Princess does not do this,

while I understand why they have a wedding cam,

I think more folk would watch a atrium cam,

yours Shogun

hi folks,

Thought I would have a look at the web cams, as I wanted to look at some ports, that I have visited

out of 13 cams 9 are at sea, well it is what ships are designed for,

better luck next time.

yours Shogun

I remember that too. Specifically, the Sea Princess had an atrium cam back in 2001 ish. I remember watching people dance. I loved that!
The Sea Princess had an atrium web cam and an outside web cam on our first cruise on her in 1999. The atrium web cam was located in the ceiling several floors up.

The atrium cams were interesting as they seldom showed people except for those who came to the balcony railing just above the atrium. When you think about it, the center of the atrium is an area seldom used by passengers. I suspect that Princess decided to do away with this one for two reasons: 1) some passengers complained about confidentiality/privacy with the overhead view ( it seems somebody always complains) and 2) the camera didn't lend an element of excitement for prospective customers, as it mostly showed a pretty, but empty floor.

The Grand Princess added the wedding chapel webcam to the offerings. It also just showed an empty chapel for most of the time.

I wish other cruiselines would offer webcams. Whenever I cruise Princess, I like start looking at them as my cruise approaches, especially when the ship is on the same itinerary that I am going on. I get to say just think in two weeks we will be there.

Archived