Do you give your kids cruise spending money?

OnTheBrink

My oldest (at 13 now) has had a job since he was 12. Well not a real job, he goes and helps his Great Grandmother 2 days a week and gets paid $10 a day. We opened up a savings account for him (mine and his name, our bank doesn't care who puts money in an account.. just takes it out). She keeps the passbook for it and puts his money in twice a month. She felt bad.. so she puts $5 in for our youngest son a week also.

From all of this my oldest had almost $200 left over from our last cruise. He just bought himself a 3DS and a bunch of games, and still has over $400 in the bank.

My oldest is responsible for his spending. Youngest will be turning 12 on the last day of our 2013 cruise, so I still buy his stuff with in reason (he doesn't ask for much... he spent $15 on our last cruise..).

Actually on our next cruise my oldest loves marine life and wants to go into that field. Even looking now, I have found some AMAZING private excursions that he would love that are run by Marine Biologists. Problem is... price tag is Atlantis full day pass high. I told him that while he has time to think about it still, if he wants to, he has to pay for 1/2 - 3/4 of the cost based on finances at the time. He was okay with this.

I actually even told my oldest when he is 16 (he can get a normal job at 15 in our area and he plans to) if he can afford to pay for his own cruise fair (1st person) he is more than welcome to his own room across from ours, until then he is stuck with us though because I can't justify the cost of 2 rooms for 4 people. That is his 3 year goal right now!

They don't get an allowance per say, but we are also a very gaming family. They tend to wait for stuff for 4-6 months + in advance so we know what purchases they want.

I also tend to limit everyone's spending and budget down to the penny if I can. It is always better to over budget than under budget though! If you plan on an amount of $20 a day, tell them that, but budget for $25. Nothing made me happier than coming back from our last cruise with $400 I planned to spend but didn't!

Phxscuba, I love the idea of a collection.

We try to provide our kids with a certain amount of 'mad money' or Disney dollars in the case of Disney when we vacation. Grandparents know ahead of time as well so cash can be directed to this 'fund'. The kids then have this money to buy whatever they want. This greatly cuts down on disagreements about whether 8 bucks for a magnet is a good idea :). Kids are 7 and 10, and are learning some budgeting this way as well. Anything leftover is theirs. How much you think is appropriate depends on your lifestyle/budget. For a week at Disney for example each kid had $100. Our first cruise with the kids is coming up and I'm guessing we'll do something similar.

My kids learned to do chores at a young age (simple things when they were younger and more difficult now...DS is 17 and DD is 15). In exchange for this they get money for church collection, money for their savings (I normally put in a couple hundred a year into their accounts along with any additional savings they have to put in), money for vacations (I tell them they have $50 each when we go on vacation...they never come close to spending it all) and then I purchase items that they want for themselves throughout the year. DS rarely asks for anything other than 1 or 2 PS3 games a year (although he will usually just wait for Christmas and/or his birthday and ask for them then) and DD usually just wants clothes.

Now that they are older DS works part time as a soccer referree and has his pay go directly into his savings and DD helps her father do things like putting on a roof for extra cash. Some of which she keeps for trips to the mall and some of which she sticks in her savings account. They rarely ask me to pay for anything any more even though they still do the chores around the house (laundry, dishes, trash, dusting, etc). DS is driving now, but we provide his vehicle and gas as the only places he goes to is the high school, college, and work. He very rarely goes out for anything else. His idea of fun is meeting his friends at the high school for a pick up game of soccer or hanging around the house on the computer or PS3. DD is a competitive dancer so she spends most of her spare time involved in that (although that has to be one of the costliest sports around :D).

When we cruise I have always given them open credit on their S&S cards (we have been sailing since they were 4 and 7). They very rarely purchase anything on them and I think the max spent was around $35 for both combined. DS always gets a model ship and DD always buys some small things in port (mostly for her friends). DD will occassionally get a virgin drink. Neither of them get much out of the arcade. DS does not drink soda at all (he hasn't for 2 years now...his choice) and DD rarely does so we don't get them soda cards.

So to answer your question...Yes I give my kids spending money....Yes they have always earned it....But they never really spend much of it and so I seem to stick a little extra in their savings accounts at the end of the year.

When we cruise I have always given them open credit on their S&S cards (we have been sailing since they were 4 and 7). They very rarely purchase anything on them and I think the max spent was around $35 for both combined. DS always gets a model ship and DD always buys some small things in port (mostly for her friends). DD will occassionally get a virgin drink. Neither of them get much out of the arcade. DS does not drink soda at all (he hasn't for 2 years now...his choice) and DD rarely does so we don't get them soda cards.

My kids started cruising long before drink packages and kid's arcades. Like yours, my kids rarely asked for much and when they did they usually got it, for that very reason. When we went on cruises they were told they were only allowed to buy two specialty drinks a day and if they wanted a special souvenir. They never abused the privilege. They always let me know when they used the card.

My kids started cruising long before drink packages and kid's arcades. Like yours, my kids rarely asked for much and when they did they usually got it, for that very reason. When we went on cruises they were told they were only allowed to buy two specialty drinks a day and if they wanted a special souvenir. They never abused the privilege. They always let me know when they used the card.

Isn't it nice to be able to have that fiscal trust in your kids... I think mine are just natural savers...They inherited it from their father :o.

I have been giving both my boys the oppertunity to earn money for the cruise. They are doing chores and such... I will tell them They get an alotted amount everyday from There Savings<~~ And they are to keep up with it.. We shall see........;)

Last year we started allowing our kids to have charging privileges onboard the ship. They are very responsible with it, so we have not had any issues. They know if they are purchasing something that is of much value (more than the cost of a milkshake or a few ounces of candy) that they need to get permission before they purchase.

On our cruise last year, our daughter was 12, we put a $50 limit on her sail &sign card, which she many used for one or two fruity mock tails per day. She knew once it was gone, that was it!!! I think at the end, she had two bucks left.

I definately have to get them a good allowance/savings system set up!!! I am loving thee tips here!!! Our next cruise is next March, I'm going to get them started saving soon!!!

Kathy

At what age do you give your child charging privileges? My son will only be 7 years old on the cruise, which I think is too young but I know he will want to play arcade games. I am assuming I will need to be with him at that time and the kids club doesn't take them there unless it is a special activity? Also, what do they drink at the kids club? If I buy the soda card with they know that at the kids club?

My kids will be 4.5 and nearly 8 on this next cruise.

Do you give your kids a set amount of spending money?

Do you have them earn it before you leave? (We don't do allowances now.)

Do you just buy them stuff (within reason) when they want it?

How do you handle kids and money on the cruise?

1. I have been waiting to chime in on thise one for a few days... (Damn, I got caught by an old post again - still valuable info.)

2. I've been thinking back to how we spent money on the ship & I can't see how a child would need any money. (I did not pay for a cruise for them to play video games or to buy overpriced chips/candy.)

3. Because I want my son to have a good understanding on how to spend & save wisely, we give him an "allowance" 4 quarters a week, 2 in savings, 1 for charity, & 1 to spend however he wants. He now thinks about all of those things that he used to just ask/beg for. (The allowance is not tied to emptying the garbage, etc. we expect for the person who sees/knows that it needs to be done to do it - just part of how a family operates. The allowance is a tool for learning how to use money.)

4. My son is 3.

This past January my daughter was 7 ( now 8). She is with us all the time and we never had a time she wanted money, or the S&S card for something on the ship. In port she saw a few things she wanted, we really don't shop that much, but we did let her pick a few things out. I think at her age there are few things on board she would want? Food and drink is free, she doesn't play arcade games and we never visit the on board stores.

Now the cruise before this she tried Camp Carnival ( we now avoid this) the crew there told us and her that for $$$ she can do this or that, and for $$$ there is a special party, and for $$$ this craft can be had, and for $$$$..........well, the nickel and dime attack at Camp C. was horrendous. My daughter was tempted by some of these but a trip for pizza with Dad won out.

Now, if we had to pay for ice cream for her, then she would need to have several jobs! Free ice cream makes everything better for her.

Now the cruise before this she tried Camp Carnival ( we now avoid this) the crew there told us and her that for $$$ she can do this or that, and for $$$ there is a special party, and for $$$ this craft can be had, and for $$$$..........well, the nickel and dime attack at Camp C. was horrendous. .

On two cruises - my son did not spend any extra in Camp Carnival & we did not have any hard sells or crying because he had been told no... Now if we said, "No Camp Carnival" He would have been very upset - he loved that place. (He was 2 & then 3 on his second cruise.) (He went to bed before the for a fee babysitting & he ate everymeal with us.)

I am hopeful that his first HAL cruise in June will be the same for him.

Archived