Recommendation for Bio Luminescent Bay Tour

floatinrocks

We will be in San Juan when it is ideal (Jan 16 & 17th/09) and want to see this phenomenon. We are older (early and late 50's) so a kayak would be out of our realm!! Can anyone recommend a tour company you've used and liked that is reasonably priced?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You have 3 options:

1- stay over on Vieques for a night or two. Then you can go on an electric pontoon boat with Island Adventures.

2- If staying on the main island, you can go to Vieques via the East Island Tour:http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/eastwind-vieques-biobay/

It is a bit more money, but it is a great experience and you can swim in the glowing water and you get drinks and dinner. They also go out with the eco-friendly electric pontoon.

3- For Fajardo, there is one guy that goes into the Fajardo BioBay in a motorboat. He is supposed to have an electric motor (and says he does) but he does not. I hate to recommend him, but he is an option for elderly or disabled people. His info is at the bottom of this review:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/bio-bay-in-fajardo-by-kayak-or-boat-a-glowing-experience/

'coquishideaway' Thank you for your input, I have read your reviews before.

I'm very excited about doing this tour, i have a couple questions too.

If we are staying at the Stellars Marriott, would East Winds supply transportation to the Marina or would we have find our own way? Could we get a taxi and if so would we be able to get one back?

And Mosquito's are they bad, I have read mixed reviews. Can you wear 'Off or Deet' products?, mixed answers on this one too.

And sorry one more?; do you remember the name of the restaurant that they eat at?

Thanks for you assistance

You have 3 options:

3- For Fajardo, there is one guy that goes into the Fajardo BioBay in a motorboat. He is supposed to have an electric motor (and says he does) but he does not. I hate to recommend him, but he is an option for elderly or disabled people. His info is at the bottom of this review:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/bio-bay-in-fajardo-by-kayak-or-boat-a-glowing-experience/

When we went our tour ran into him and our tour guide had NOT ONE nice thing to say about him. We were told that he cuts the mangrove tree root so his boat can fit through. I would go so far as to call kayak tour guides and ask if you could ride with them. Please do not use him.

'coquishideaway' Thank you for your input, I have read your reviews before.

I'm very excited about doing this tour, i have a couple questions too.

If we are staying at the Stellars Marriott, would East Winds supply transportation to the Marina or would we have find our own way? Could we get a taxi and if so would we be able to get one back?

And Mosquito's are they bad, I have read mixed reviews. Can you wear 'Off or Deet' products?, mixed answers on this one too.

And sorry one more?; do you remember the name of the restaurant that they eat at?

Thanks for you assistance

I believe East Wind does have transportation available, but call them to confirm. Some of the companies need a certain amount of $ to do it- so for 2 people it is prcey, but for 6 it is reasonable.

Taxi- you would need to hire a person and schedule the trip there and back (there will not be any taxis at the marina). It will cost at least $120

for a round trip to use this method.

Mosquitos- I have been in the Vieques bay twice and the Fajardo bay twice and never one noticed the mosquitos. But I guess some people have problems (maybe if there is no breeze or something). But no- you shouldn't wear repellant with Deet- it will harm the organisms in the water (I assume you will go swimming). There are natural products that are ok to use.

I don't think the restaurant had a name other than Island Adventures.

Have fun- it is beautiful!

Thank you for all your input. I got a quote from East Island Excursions but it's $120 for 6 people and we are only 2. :( They do pick you up at your hotel though.

I guess I'll wait it out and check when we arrive.

Thank you for all your input. I got a quote from East Island Excursions but it's $120 for 6 people and we are only 2. :( They do pick you up at your hotel though.

I guess I'll wait it out and check when we arrive.[/quote

Hi-

Have you been on your ships roll call? When we went to Europe last year, we shared several private tours with people we met on the roll call. This saved us all $$$.

Archived