age restrictions on Mexican riviera cruise

socal4me

DH and I also sailed on the Oosterdam the week of 12/13/08.

I just wanted to add this thread in the hope of saving someone the heartache we witnessed at the shore excursions desk. Apparently there were age restrictions on some shore excursions that the 'mom who was clearly upset' previously purchased. She stated that the age restrictions were not stated on the web's description of the excursion. She only became aware of the restriction when the tickets were placed in her stateroom. So that this doesn't happen to other families, I highly recommend that anyone taking their children on a shore excursion at any of the Mexico riviera ports should always call HAL to verify age restrictions.

Thank you very, very much for the heads-up on this! We will be traveling with our 5-year-old daughter and 9-year-old son to Mexico on the Ryndam in March. The tours in La Paz all are restricted to seven years and older, but I though it must be isolated to the La Paz company that HAL contracts with. I had noticed that my daughter does not meet the height requirements of the swimming with the dolphins in PV, but didn't see any other tour restrictions. I will definitely check with Seattle on anything before I book. We had no problems in the Southern Caribbean or Alaska last year. Did you happen to hear any of the specifics? Thank you--I've been dithering about what to do in some of these ports, and this adds an important wrinkle.

Even if you get answers, they may not be correct. I was on the Ryndam last month in Cabo behind a family of four for a snorkeling tour. The youngest boy was 6 years old. They were told he could go but could not go in the water, the minimum age was 8. The father said he had emailed and specifically asked if the boy could go and was told yes. But in line they were told yes he could go but he could not snorkel. The whole family left the line and that was the last I saw of them.

Good luck

Sally

DH and I also sailed on the Oosterdam the week of 12/13/08.

I just wanted to add this thread in the hope of saving someone the heartache we witnessed at the shore excursions desk. Apparently there were age restrictions on some shore excursions that the 'mom who was clearly upset' previously purchased. She stated that the age restrictions were not stated on the web's description of the excursion. She only became aware of the restriction when the tickets were placed in her stateroom. So that this doesn't happen to other families, I highly recommend that anyone taking their children on a shore excursion at any of the Mexico riviera ports should always call HAL to verify age restrictions.

HAL is not the only cruiseline that age restrictions on tours.

Most have age (max or min) on some tours. Others also have a recommended weight max or size (height):cool::cool:

Let us remember why these restrictions are put in place, its NOT to make things unpleasant for users but to protect those participating. I am sure a family wld be a LOT more upset if something unfortunate happened to their child..and wld be within moments, falling all over themselves blaming the company for allowing their little 'Johnny' or 'Jane' to participate AND working out how much it might be worth in $s with their lawyers...

And please spare me - 'heartache' when refused permission to take a vulnerable child on a tour - when the folks didn't research the rules & regulations very carefully - Seems IMHO it is the parents at fault not the co!! Any folks who did the research and were denied wld have more reason to be upset than those that didn't...

I believe IMO, the term u seek is mild 'disappoinment'!

Of course, I am sure not being sued or even being bad-mouthed and receiving lousy publicity is on the mind of company execs also and I for one, don't blame them for making rules & restrictions and enforcing them!

Perhaps if some of these parents had to sign a form guaranteeing they will NOT sue or make any claims against the company and the courts wld back it up also, then the companies might be more than willing to allow children of any age to participate when the parents have to be responsible for them!!!

Unfortunate but true - but seems to me that most of the time u are damned if u do and damned if u don't!!

Of course, I am sure not being sued or even being bad-mouthed and receiving lousy publicity is on the mind of company execs also and I for one, don't blame them for making rules & restrictions and enforcing them!

Perhaps if some of these parents had to sign a form guaranteeing they will NOT sue or make any claims against the company and the courts wld back it up also, then the companies might be more than willing to allow children of any age to participate when the parents have to be responsible for them!!!

Unfortunate but true - but seems to me that most of the time u are damned if u do and damned if u don't!!

I don't think that anyone was asserting that there should not be age limitations -- merely that it would be helpful, not to mention courteous, if those limitations were clearly outlined in all HAL's shore excursion brochures and on-line ticketing.

I'd be fairly hacked if I found out only after getting onboard that my kid could not go on an excursion I'd paid for, because if I'd known in advance I would have made alternative arrangements in advance -- something that isn't easy to do on the fly.

Let us remember why these restrictions are put in place, its NOT to make things unpleasant for users but to protect those participating. I am sure a family wld be a LOT more upset if something unfortunate happened to their child..and wld be within moments, falling all over themselves blaming the company for allowing their little 'Johnny' or 'Jane' to participate AND working out how much it might be worth in $s with their lawyers...

And please spare me - 'heartache' when refused permission to take a vulnerable child on a tour - when the folks didn't research the rules & regulations very carefully - Seems IMHO it is the parents at fault not the co!! Any folks who did the research and were denied wld have more reason to be upset than those that didn't...

I believe IMO, the term u seek is mild 'disappoinment'!

Ummmmmmm--------the post was about a mother who only found out about the age restriction AFTER she purchased the tickets. I'd be pretty annoyed also.

What I am saying does not apply to those parents who did all they cld and then find out the info they received is incorrect. They have my sympathy.

I am referring to those whose responsibility it was for ascertaining whether or not their child is old enough, tall enough or whatever but failed to do so, in ADVANCE of purchasing the tickets!!

If parents expect a company or another individual to do it for them the odds are they will be disappointed...

Have happy cruisin' all!

What I am saying does not apply to those parents who did all they cld and then find out the info they received is incorrect. They have my sympathy.

I am referring to those whose responsibility it was for ascertaining whether or not their child is old enough, tall enough or whatever but failed to do so, in ADVANCE of purchasing the tickets!!

If parents expect a company or another individual to do it for them the odds are they will be disappointed...

Have happy cruisin' all!

So what is a parent supposed to do ? Hal or any other cruise line should publish any restrictions on their excursion site. The original complaint was Hal did not publish it. If there is any restriction it should be listed and not have someone find out after they purchase the excursion.

So what is a parent supposed to do ? Hal or any other cruise line should publish any restrictions on their excursion site. The original complaint was Hal did not publish it. If there is any restriction it should be listed and not have someone find out after they purchase the excursion.

and a perfect world wld be wonderful also.

However it isn't so, wld it not be better if the parent concerned had (and others will in the future) contacted HAL directly regarding any possible restrictions, rules etc just in case the website is not informative, has omitted info OR worse, has even been incorrectly programmed (all off which I have encountered previously)?

I wldn't trust a website..I even double check things with 2 folks at Hal whenever I am planning on anything. Has saved me some problems and I believe IMHO that is a better way to go, for the least amt of hassles..

Have happy cruisin'!

My goodness, no one on the thread was disputing the need for restrictions. We were merely discussing the best way to obtain such information, so I'm not sure why the sarcastic comments about parents and children were necessary.

Since I travel with my older mother and my two children, I DO research our cruises extremely carefully. That is why I find Cruise Critic to be so helpful. I do not take my children on excursions that are likely to have age restrictions, such as mountain biking or zip lining. However, if I purchased a city tour, for example, and no age restrictions were listed in HAL's shore excursions brochure or on the web site, I would be disappointed if I found out only after I have paid for the tour and was on board.

This would apply not just to children, but to anyone who had physical limitations, if that information was not presented in the tour description.

My mother is boarding the Maasdam this week and plans to ask the shore excursion personnel if they have any advice on how to make sure we have the correct info prior to our next cruise. I will pass along any helpful information.

When I first saw this thread, I thought perhaps HAL could have been introducing a "no under 21's allowed" policy....

mmm.

It should also be noted that there are weight restrictions in place for quite a few of the adventure excursions. I am not sure how they police these.

:D:D:D

I don't think that anyone was asserting that there should not be age limitations -- merely that it would be helpful, not to mention courteous, if those limitations were clearly outlined in all HAL's shore excursion brochures and on-line ticketing.

I'd be fairly hacked if I found out only after getting onboard that my kid could not go on an excursion I'd paid for, because if I'd known in advance I would have made alternative arrangements in advance -- something that isn't easy to do on the fly.

I don't understand all the furor. I looked at the HAL website and checked on the excursions in Mexico. I found that every excursion with strenuous or potentially dangerous activity had some sort of restriction, clearly spelled out in the tour description. I also checked the online pdf version of the shore excursion book. Again, for every single excursion that I would expect to have restrictions, they were clearly spelled out.

In the online descriptions, the restrictions were often at the end of the description, so you had to click the "more info" link to see them, but it is incorrect to say that the restrictions are not published. Personally, I wouldn't even take a sight-seeing tour without reading the ENTIRE description.

I don't know which excursions this disappointed mom was trying to take, but I couldn't find a single excursion, for which it would be reasonable to expect restrictions, where they were not spelled out. The ones that did not have restrictions were ones like the bus tours of the shopping areas in various ports. The only exception was a Certified Scuba tour. But then, I'm sure that there is a minimum age to be certified, so that omission takes care of itself.

I, too, would be disappointed to board the ship and find out that there was an undisclosed restriction, that disqualified me or my family from going. However, it appears, that this is a case of someone not doing their homework.

Paul Noble

I was interested in the motorcycle tour out of Ketchikan last summer. HALs website said nothing about any restrictions other than being properly licensed. I thought it would be fun, with my teen son as passenger. Fortunately I also looked at the tour operator's website which clearly stated all participants including passengers must be 21. I called the tour operator who confirmed it. They sounded painfully aware of the omission on HALs website.

So we would have had a problem if we had just gone off HALs website, and so would anyone planning to "drive" who had their motorcycle endorsement but was under 21.

and a perfect world wld be wonderful also.

However it isn't so, wld it not be better if the parent concerned had (and others will in the future) contacted HAL directly regarding any possible restrictions, rules etc just in case the website is not informative, has omitted info OR worse, has even been incorrectly programmed (all off which I have encountered previously)?

I wldn't trust a website..I even double check things with 2 folks at Hal whenever I am planning on anything. Has saved me some problems and I believe IMHO that is a better way to go, for the least amt of hassles..

Have happy cruisin'!

Easier said then done. Trying to get information from Hal on excursions is not always the answer. Sometimes all they know is what is published on the web site. I have tried asking for information and got nowhere.

Many people have called Hal with questions on a number of things. You do not always get the right answer. You can call 3 times, and get different answers.

IMO, if cruise lines are selling excursions on line they should publish ALL restrictions, not just if it is strenuous or not.

Easier said then done. Trying to get information from Hal on excursions is not always the answer. Sometimes all they know is what is published on the web site. I have tried asking for information and got nowhere.

Many people have called Hal with questions on a number of things. You do not always get the right answer. You can call 3 times, and get different answers.

IMO, if cruise lines are selling excursions on line they should publish ALL restrictions, not just if it is strenuous or not.

\

I am in complete agreement but since they do NOT always post the info - what do u suggest folks do instead then? Its one thing to make statements but plse then offer a constructive suggestion as well!

Seems to me calling HAL several times is the only option beyond calling the company offering the excursion directly and at least u have then done all u can.

If u still do not get proper info, u are likely going to be unhappy when u find out a member of your family can't do something..but u can take solace from the fact u did all u cld do to solve the problem!

Have happy cruisin'!

\

I am in complete agreement but since they do NOT always post the info - what do u suggest folks do instead then? Its one thing to make statements but plse then offer a constructive suggestion as well!

Seems to me calling HAL several times is the only option beyond calling the company offering the excursion directly and at least u have then done all u can.

If u still do not get proper info, u are likely going to be unhappy when u find out a member of your family can't do something..but u can take solace from the fact u did all u cld do to solve the problem!

Have happy cruisin'!

One of the benefits of using HAL for shore excursions is that they do the research for you... The info should be there. No doubt they have no intention of misleading people however it would be expected that restrictions would be included in the details for each excursion. For the HAL shorex, you pay a significant premium on what the excursion would cost if you used the local operator directlly, so I would not expect to have to research every detail to ensure every tiny detail is accounted for.

It is posts like this that raise awareness, and hopefully some attention will be made to this problem which has caused considerable inconvenience to some CCers.

This is surprising. On any other cruise line, when I go to purchase excursion tickets, the children who aren't old enough for the excursion will not be available as a selection for me to add to the reservation.

Hal should have the same system in place.

Wonder why they don't? :confused:

It's quite possible the mother the OP was talking about being upset at the excursion desk could have been my DIL. We were on the same cruise as the OP and found out only the night before about the age restrictions on the excursion we had planned the next day. Our family of 11 included 3 little girls under the age of 3, so we had carefully planned (at least we thought so!) the excursions so that the little ones and my elderly MIL could go with us on. According to the Hal excursion site that we booked through, the age restrictions didn't apply to our excursions, and they definitely were nothing I would consider prohibitive to any of us. So we were completely taken by surprise to find out we had to cancel and find another excursion. My DIL isn't the type to react in anger, but I would imagine there are some other folks out there who wouldn't be so easy to work with!

It all worked out well for us, as we canceled and booked two different excursions that were a blast! But there has to be a way that first time cruisers like us, who assume what we read on Hal's excursion sites is complete and correct, could get a head's up that further research might be needed. The staff at the excursion desk were definitely NOT surprised by our dilemma, so it must be a problem for them, too. Anyway, it didn't ruin a wonderful cruise and we'd do it all over again in a heartbeat - even with the confusion about the excursions. We know better now we're a little more experienced!

One of the benefits of using HAL for shore excursions is that they do the research for you... The info should be there. No doubt they have no intention of misleading people however it would be expected that restrictions would be included in the details for each excursion. For the HAL shorex, you pay a significant premium on what the excursion would cost if you used the local operator directlly, so I would not expect to have to research every detail to ensure every tiny detail is accounted for.

It is posts like this that raise awareness, and hopefully some attention will be made to this problem which has caused considerable inconvenience to some CCers.

U are so correct that this post raises awareness...It is most unfortunate companies do not always do what they shld and some of us are then inconvenienced. Being warned of same in advance can not be anything but helpful...

Its another reason CCs site is so valuable!

Have happy cruisin'!

Archived