Cruise gift but new job

conny&tony

My mother in law bought the family a cruise for April 09. All are paid for in full, but I just started a new job this past September. How do I approach my supervisor and ask for the time off. It will be for a whole week. I haven't missed any time yet. Any advise would be appreciated.

My mother in law bought the family a cruise for April 09. All are paid for in full, but I just started a new job this past September. How do I approach my supervisor and ask for the time off. It will be for a whole week. I haven't missed any time yet. Any advise would be appreciated.

Be honest, and let the supervisor know that you would be willing to take the week without pay if you have not earned the time yet. If you are a good employee, and the place of employment is reasonable, you should be able to work something out.

Be honest and up front.

Offer to work on a special project on weekends for comp time rather than overtime depending on the labor laws in your state.

I just googled the alabama department of labor.

Alabama does not have any wage and hour division. They follow the guidleines of the US Department of Labor. Unfortunately for you comp time is on a 1 for 1 basis rahterh than 1.5 to 1 or 2 to 1 in some instances such as working comp time on Sundays and Holidays.

Ask your human resources manager how much paid "part time off" you have accumulated, unless there is some probationary period before you can earn any. And then fill out the necessary paperwork.

If you don't miss any work before April, I think the 7 month tenure is respected enough to warrant a vacation.

But this is just my opinion.

As an employer...

I would like to get a nice xmas gift, maybe a Gift Certificate to a restaurant :)

Really, it depends on the relationship you have with your boss and the work climate. That should dictate how you approach him.

I would just be honest and tell him you got this as a gift and you would like to go with your family. Be willing to work any and all OT and make yourself available to fill in for other shifts, if that is an option.

Good Luck

Ask if you can have the time off.

Archived