Lobster or Not?

Gosh, I just don't get all the excitement over a little lobster tail - they were $3.99 each at my local market this week and probably one of the easiest things to fix. Obviously, I'm missing something.

Maybe you should try Louisiana crawfish...mudbugs as we call 'em. Not as fancy as lobster but nothing's better than a nice Southern crawfish boil! ;)

Trudy

Just to clear up some lobster myths - Maine (East Coast) lobster is NOT the only great-tasting lobster. The reason that myth exists is that most Maine lobsters are kept alive until cooking, so they were never frozen; whereas most "warm water" lobsters are tailed and frozen before cooking. Freezing any kind of fish or seafood dramatically changes the texture/flavor.

Now, if you want to taste the BEST lobster on the planet, do what I do, and go scuba-diving out here in Southern California and catch your own! I dive off the coast of Malibu regularly, and lobster season is between Sept. and March every year. In fact, we ate two of my fresh-caught bugs (as we divers call 'em) for dinner last night. I have done a side-by-side comparison of live Maine lobsters and my own fresh-caught California Spiny Lobsters, and the CA bugs' tails are larger (for the same size of bug), sweeter, and more tender than the Maine bugs, which have comparably smaller tails that are tougher, grainier and not as sweet. Now, I will admit that Maine bugs have something that our bugs don't: those yummy claws. But I prefer the tail meat anyway, so I'm happy to forgo the claws to get a bigger, better tail.

While it is difficult to find CA Spiny lobster to purchase (most of the commercially caught ones are shipped to Asia), there are fish markets down by the water that do sell them, live from tanks. I would put one of our bugs up against one of Maine's in a blind taste test any day...we'll beat you East Coasters in one bite. ;) (Oh, and btw, we don't have the cold and misery here either!) :p:D

As for lobster on cruise ships: it is almost unheard of these days to have live lobsters on cruise ships these days - so no matter where it comes from, lobster on a ship is going to be second-rate. Lobster tails that were previously frozen are a pale comparison to fresh. I have never understood the big deal people make over being served lobster on a cruise. Most of the time they are dinky little tails, dried-out and flavorless. Shrimp, which tends to stand up to freezing better than lobster, is usually a better option.

I wouldn't get your family too excited over the lobster on a cruise ship. It's just not all that special.

I'm glad you recogized the superiority of the Maine claw meat (my favorite part of the lobstah) :D. Nothing can hold a candle to those sweet delicacies, and that's no "lobstah myth" :p ;)

Wish they served those on cruise ships, but it would be a logistical nightmare!

Hi Dirtgirl,

Do you remember which day you had the lobster on the Vision? We are trying to plan a birthday celebration on the night of lobster. We will be sailing on the Mariner in March. I figure that they might have the same schedule for formal nights on the Mexican Riviera.

Thanks for your help. : )

Archived