best hotels driving to nyc pier

Junebug1

I researched back awhile & couldn't find any info about where people like to stay if they are driving to nyc the night before a cruise. We're sailing on Carnival Miracle 9/13/09, not sure which pier/terminal. We'll be driving from Pittsburgh PA. I would like to drive straight thru the night & not stay anywhere, but my husband wants to drive most of the way the day before. If anyone has done something similar, or just has some advice, we would appreciate whatever info you would like to share. I thought perhaps a hotel in NJ would be best. What do you think?

The bad news is that the closer to NY you get, the more expensive the motels become. The good news is that you are sailing on a Sunday, so you would have almost no traffic going into NY early in the morning.

I'd look at your route and check out motels that would be about 60+ miles from New York. Once you have a target area, come back on the forum and ask if anyone has suggestions.

There are many hotels in NJ right outside NYC. One that is right across the Hudson River in Weehawken NJ is Sheraton Suites on the Hudson. There is a NY Waterways Ferry over to the Westside. Many people walk from the ferry terminal to the cruise ship terminal. As a PP said - NY is either a taxi, public trans or walking city. (NY Waterways may have a shuttle bus that will take you to the cruise ship. They have shuttles that bring commuters all over the city.)

I would recommend staying within 30 miles of NYC. As a PP stated - Secaucus is a good place as it is right off of Rt 3 that leads right to the Lincoln Tunnel. There are hotels right by the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee as well.

Have you though about where you will be parking you car? NYC parking is quite expensive. There are hotels by the ferries and trains going into NYC where you might be able to arrange parking for the cruise - at a better rate.

Just some ideas from a "Jersey Girl" that live right outside NYC! Hope this helps.

If you don't want to pay $30/day to park in NY, I would definitely contact all the Secaucus motels to see if they offer parking for the week. I've seen La Quinta mentioned as a park/fly/cruise, but I can't find any details on it.

It sounded to me like you are prepared to pay the NY parking and are just looking for a cheap place to spend the night before. I am seeing the Holiday Inn Newark Airport at $63 for advance purchase and $70.30 for AAA. Those are fantastic rates and it is a 3 star hotel. I have actually stayed there and it is perfectly acceptable for a night. Just be sure you get detailed directions and print out a map of the area - it's one of those hotels you can see, but if you miss the turn, you can't get there. Also, the hotel is in the middle of a sea of access roads - the only food choices are the hotel and the Sheraton next door unless you want to venture out in your car. I found the location to be surprisingly quiet given the proximity of the turnpike and airport. This hotel is right at exit 14 of the turnpike and it is a quick run up to the Lincoln Tunnel on a Sunday morning.

We drove last June and we'll be driving again this coming June. Whenever we're in NYC, we always stay at the Holiday Inn Midtown on West 57th street. It's about 5 blocks away from the cruise terminal. Clean rooms, very reasonably priced and great restaurant food!

I too am thinking of staying at the Holiday Inn Newark airport. Can anyone tell me how much a cab would cost to penn sation NJ (I assume taking the train would be the cheapest way to get into the city) and also how much a cab will cost straight to the manhattan cruise terminal.

Thanks

Contact Supershuttle to see how much they would be and to see if you can make a reservation to be picked up at your airport hotel. I've heard $19/pp to be taken from the airport to the cruise terminal. However, it is a shared ride, so it is possible that others will be dropped off before you are.

The train option would be cab to Newark (maybe $25) plus $4/pp on the train($8) plus a cab to the pier (maybe $15).

• 3 weeks later...

I too am thinking of driving and staying atthe holiday inn at the Newark Airport. Am I reading this right that it's 19/pp for a cab from the airport to the cruise terminal? Is there parking available atthe airport and how much it is? Does anyone know what a carnival transfer from here to there is? I am also debating on driving straight threw to the port and am curious exactly where the parking is. I've seen pics of cars parked right nextto the ship and can't believe they'd let you park right there for 4-10 days. If that's the case then that'd be super convienient but boy what a mess it would make with pax coming and going.

Check out http://www.supershuttle.com/. I put in Newark airport and then an address in the west 50's in zip 10019. It came up as $19. This would be a shared van with up to 11 people, so you might make other stops in that area of NY. I would contact them directly to see what they can do for you.

The NY parking is $30/day and it is right next to the pier. The Holiday Inn is cheap for an overnight, but they charge $15/day for parking. You should look at the Sheraton for a park/cruise/fly option.

Check out http://www.supershuttle.com/. I put in Newark airport and then an address in the west 50's in zip 10019. It came up as $19. This would be a shared van with up to 11 people, so you might make other stops in that area of NY. I would contact them directly to see what they can do for you.

The NY parking is $30/day and it is right next to the pier. The Holiday Inn is cheap for an overnight, but they charge $15/day for parking. You should look at the Sheraton for a park/cruise/fly option.

You read my mind LOL. That's what we did on our first cruise from Norfolk with radisson. Do you know of any other hotels that might have that option? And thanx for the info!

We haven't found any park/cruise/fly for the Manhattan cruise terminal in New York. Because it is $30/day to park in NY, folks have discussed several options:

1) Sheraton at Newark airport - you have to pay to get into NY. This could be by Supershuttle or by cab to Newark Penn Station/train/cab. You must contact Supershuttle to see what they can do for you. The web site indicates they will drop you off at or near the cruise terminal. We don't know if they will pick you up at an airport hotel or if you have to take your hotel shuttle to somewhere at the airport like P4.

2) Country Inns at Newark airport - same thing

3) Park/Fly in Secaucus - no definite details on this one. You would have to call the Secaucus motels. La Quinta has been mentioned as perhaps offering parking with a 1 night stay. Then it would be bus/cab or cab to NY

4) Staying in Weehawken or Edgewater NJ and taking the ferry to NY. I'm not so clear on the details of this option, but you can search this forum for "Edgewater" and "Weehawken".

5) Park at Journal Square Transportation Center in Jersey City ($12/day???) and take the PATH train to 33rd St. (Herald Square)($1.75/pp) and a cab to the cruise terminal. Both stations have escalators/elevators.

6) Check out other parking options in NY in the West 50's - http://nyc.bestparking.com/. Some of these are cheaper than $30/day and you can make a reservation with a firm price quote.

Perhaps some posters will have other creative suggestions.

I too am thinking of driving and staying atthe holiday inn at the Newark Airport. Am I reading this right that it's 19/pp for a cab from the airport to the cruise terminal? Is there parking available atthe airport and how much it is? Does anyone know what a carnival transfer from here to there is? I am also debating on driving straight threw to the port and am curious exactly where the parking is. I've seen pics of cars parked right nextto the ship and can't believe they'd let you park right there for 4-10 days. If that's the case then that'd be super convienient but boy what a mess it would make with pax coming and going.

The parking is on the roof of each pier.

138east - Thank you for all that info. That's great. I did call Supershuttle and they won't pick you up in New Jersey? So they are out. So I will look into the other options and see what makes the most sense for us. Thank you again!

pmoniz - I notice you live in Massachusetts. Why wouldn't you just drive down the morning of the cruise and park at the NY cruise terminal?

I know I can't speak for them but I can tell you why we are thinking of other option than this. We live about 3-4 hour drive from the port but are looking to come in the day before. I personally like to have that day buffer "just in case". When you have luck like I do, you never know what might happen and I'd hate to miss out on a cruise due to something minor.

138east - Just like BBigfoot613 we are also coming down the day before. The thing is we have to take 2 vehicles since there are 10 of us going on the cruise. We did the same thing last year and everything worked out great actually - we took two cars stood overnight in New Jersey drove to the ship, parked there and all was well. I was just trying to find other alternatives this year to see if it would come out better economically. The Doubletree in NJ will let us park there for nothing but between the price for the room and getting transportation to and from the hotel to the pier doesn't really come out to be that much cheaper than just driving in ourselves and parking there. So we'll see what happens. I have time to keep our options open.

Since you folks are sailing out of Manhattan, have you considered paying to park in NY and staying the night before in Stamford? I am seeing the La Quinta Inn for $109 for May 7. This may be competitive when you factor in all the tolls you will pay to go to NJ. Also, you will avoid all the Lincoln Tunnel traffic to get back into NY.

From Stamford you would come south to I287 and west to the Hutchinson River Parkway. At New Rochelle you would pick up the Cross County Parkway to the Saw Mill River Parkway South. This turns into the Henry Hudson Parkway and will end at the cruise terminal. Once you get on these parkways, they are CARS ONLY. No nasty bumper to bumper truck traffic through the South Bronx on I95. In an emergency you would have access to the Metro North trains into New York.

• 1 month later...

Archived