Review of our Antigua to San Juan cruise on SeaDream 1

xander

SeaDream 1 – Antigua to San Juan Dec 4th 2009

A review

The brief summary of our cruise is that we had a great time because of the people we met, the places we visited and the champagne we drank. There were however some real concerns about the slipping standards on this ship, which would mean that in future, I will only sail on SeaDream 2.

Ports of call

This cruise departed from Antigua and called at Nevis, Saba, St Barths, St Martin, Virgin Gorda and Jost van Dyke, before finishing at San Juan.

Antigua

We flew into Antigua a day ahead of the cruise, and stayed at The Inn at English Harbour. This was a very pleasant resort hotel with a great curved beach and beachfront swimming pool. The main hotel building is situated quite high up overlooking the beach and a car/driver is on permanent call to ferry guests to/from their rooms. We chose to walk up to dinner on the night we were there, and regretted it. It is quite a climb, especially in the humidity. The room we had was huge, with a great balcony overlooking the gardens and pool leading to the beach. It was decorated in colonial style and the large bed was very comfortable. There was no air con so the windows were open to allow air in, with shutters for security. We found the service here to be excellent and friendly, the staff opened the restaurant early just for us as we were so jet lagged and hungry. The only problem with the hotel turned out to be the sandflies and mosquitos – I have never been so badly bitten.

On our return leg, we also stayed one night at the Carlisle Bay. This is a renowned hotel, and the location is stunning. The service was superb, and after our cruise experience, really puts SeaDream to shame. The hotel director on SeaDream 1 needs to go and stay at this hotel – this is what top service should be, and what SeaDream used to be. The only issue with this hotel is that it has been rather taken over by trendy young parents, and there were toddlers / babies and kids everywhere. It does detract from the chilled out vibe the hotel is trying to achieve.

Nevis

We had intended to lunch ashore at the Four Seasons on Pinney’s Beach. Sadly a hurricane storm surge in September badly damaged the hotel which is now closed for repair. Most of the beach ended up in the kitchen and ground floor bedrooms of the hotel so the beach isn’t attractive. Debris is everywhere. Sunshine’s bar is still open – despite its appearance. We thought it was closed and so walked past – but other passengers were able to get a nice lunch there. On our way back from the beach we called in at the Café des Arts for a much needed cold drink, and ended up chatting to the locals. Seems the owner of the Four Seasons was warned he needed to build a breakwater but ignored the local wisdom. He now faces a $50 million repair bill.

Saba

With steep sides rising dramatically from the sea, this island does not look like a typical port of call. It is however quaint and worth a visit. There is still a strong Dutch influence, and all the buildings are the same three colours so it is quite picturesque. We took SeaDream’s tour of the island which was the best way to see it. Essentially there is just one main road which leads across the island. Hairpin bends and steep hills make for an interesting ride. The main thing to see is the smallest commercial landing strip in the world – not somewhere I would want to land. Saba is renowned for its diving if anyone wants a longer stay.

St Barths

Our favourite island. Part of France and very chic, this is not the Caribbean. It feels like St Tropez. Beautiful beaches, beautiful people – expensive prices. We hired a Jeep Wrangler for 24 hours to get around – this was not the best move. Roads on St Barths are narrow and steep, and this damn car would do 25 miles per hour in drive without any pressure on the accelerator. It had a 4 ltr engine. I spent most of the time with my foot on the brake as Gus shrieked in fear! Serves us right for trying to look butch. The Suzuki Jimny – a hairdresser’s car – would have been a better choice. Anyway, we did manage to get around to quite a few beaches, the best of which is Les Salines. Crystal clear water and great for swimming – this is also the gay & nudist beach. At the end of the path, you turn right for the naked bit, and left for the gay bit. I guess if you want to be gay & naked you have the whole beach to choose from.

The other cool place was Eden Rock - basically a headland inbetween two white sandy beaches, where they have built a great hotel. We had a fab lunch here – great food and service. Plus the waiters were cute which is always a bonus. After two magnums of rose wine……we moved about 100 yards to another beach club - ………….where we ordered yet more wine. C’est la vie.

St Martin

What a dump. Marigot was very unpleasant – dirty, overcrowded and didn’t feel that safe. We took a cab to Phillipsburg (took an hour – what is with the traffic on this island?) which was actually much nicer, even though there were two megas docked. A nice promenade has been built along the beach at Phillipsburg, and there are plenty of beach bars, restaurants to choose from – all with loungers available to hire. The further you walked from the Carnival drop off point, the quieter it became. A nice family resort. And great duty free jewellery shopping. Got a good deal. More of that later.

Virgin Gorda

We took the trip to The Baths - which was a blast. SeaDream anchors early off Spanish Town to drop off the excursion guests and then moves to North Sound. This means that the SeaDream excursion gets ahead of the crowds. The seas were a bit rough so swimming and snorkelling were not possible, but we really enjoyed climbing through the boulders to get to the beach. It was a real workout. We certainly earned the champagne we had as soon as we got back onboard. In the afternoon, we tendered ashore to the Bitter End yacht club for a drink and a wander around. Cool place.

Jost van Dyke

The setting for SeaDream’s caviar and champagne splash, followed by a beach barbecue. SeaDream basically commandeer a beach bar, and set out loungers for all guests. It’s a great beach – home of the infamous Soggy Dollar bar and its signature painkiller. This was probably the best day of the cruise. It was Gus’ birthday and I had arranged an additional surprise. I had arranged with Meredith (the cruise director) for Gus and I to be taken ashore ahead of all the other guests. So the chief officer Raymond took us in a zodiac. Gus was keen to explore but I insisted that we headed to a quiet section of the beach, where I got down on one knee and proposed with the ring I had bought in Phillipsburg. This was probably the most romantic thing I have ever done, and fortunately it worked as he said yes. Great excitement ensued with our fellow passengers and crew congratulating us all day. After lunch we headed off to the Soggy $ with our new cruise friends for some painkillers. Whilst we were sitting there a party arrived – one old guy and at least 12 large breasted bikini clad babes arrived, and started a photoshoot. It turned out to be a calendar shoot for Hooters – we had ringside seats – completely wasted on four gay guys!

Onboard

Meredith was the new cruise director - she was charming, extremely helpful and great fun to be with. We dined with her one night. Typical Texas gal. She hops from one yacht to another so hopefully we will cruise with her again. As always the ship was spotless. Our cabin stewardess was friendly, but I’m not sure she understood English that well. We struggled to get bottled water for the cabin, and it took a few days to get her to understand that the extractor fan in the bathroom did not work.

The main issue with the cruise was that the service standards with the bar staff, hotel manager and waiters have fallen substantially since our last cruise on the same ship. There was either a shortage of staff, or their training was lacking or their supervision was lacking – or a combination of all three. The issues that we will raise will seem trivial to anyone used to a mega cruiseship – but the whole point about SeaDream – what you pay for effectively – is a level of service that matches the best you can get on land. In the past, this has always been the case, and I have often said, that on SeaDream you never hear the word “No”. This was not the case – with the notable exceptions of Adrian (Top of the Yacht bar) and Doromas. Doromas was the only waiter who took notice of, and remembered, my choice of tea at breakfast and Gus’ preference for sparkling water. Otherwise, we had to state this every day. No hardship – but this was something that had impressed us before, and it no longer occurred. He was also the only one who greeted us by name.

In the evenings, getting a drink pre-dinner was a real challenge – especially when drinks were served by the pool. An empty glass of champagne was a common occurrence – again no hardship, but not normal for SeaDream. At dinner, wine & water glasses were also often empty – for so long on one meal, that I got up and served the table myself. No-one came over to stop me. And when they did fill glasses they got it wrong - sparkling water was poured into still water , chardonnay poured into sauvignon.It was very shoddy – unacceptable for a mid market cruise line, let alone SeaDream. The main problem in my view was the Hotel Director – Rico. He just doesn’t get what this cruiseline is about . He was nowhere to be seen during the evening, when he should have been mixing with the guests making sure everything was OK. And he is the only SeaDream staff member who has ever used the word No to a reasonable request.

Here’s what happened – I planned the proposal on Jost van Dyke, I took Meredith into my confidence and asked to go ashore early. I also asked for a bottle of champagne so we could celebrate. Meredith organised the trip ashore, but Rico refused to let us have champagne. Don’t know why. So after I had proposed, and the chief officer who took us ashore had congratulated us, we settled down on some loungers out of the way of the staff who were setting up the event. We waited until the first guests had been tendered ashore and then I went up to one of the bartenders and asked for 2 glasses of champagne as I wanted to toast our engagement – just the 2 of us, quietly, before everyone arrived. I was told, very apologetically that he couldn’t give us champagne as Rico had given instructions that it was not to be served. Again I don’t know why. Very odd. Within about half an hour there was plenty of champagne but the moment had passed .

We did have a great cruise – met some fun people who made our holiday very special. Billy & Steve from South Carolina, and Jane & Michael (otherwise known as champagne Jane). The six of us dined together virtually every night and had a fantastic time. I do not even want to think about the amount we drank – all I will say is that tequila shots after four cosmos after champagne and wine with dinner is not something I would recommend – especially with the hairpin bends of Saba to cope with the next day! We will cruise on SeaDream again – but only on SeaDream 2 which has a much better and clearly deserved reputation. And hopefully with our new SeaDream friends.

thank you so much much for the witty review. So troubling to hear about the service issues on I. The refusal to serve champagne or give you a bottle is definitely not the SeaDream standard we are all used to and rely upon.

We enjoyed our brief time with Meredith also. Looking foward to hopefully seeing her again in March on 2 (unless she's bounced back to 1).

Thanks again and congratulations to you and Gus.

FT

Congratulations Ian and Gus!! DJ's DH and I are toasting you with mimosas as I write:p

How wonderfully romantic ... and it would have been perfect if you could have had champagne to toast the occasion. Still shaking my head over the refusal to serve you champagne.

Enjoyed your balanced review although I am sad to hear about the service issues on SD1. We sailed SD1 last March and the service was excellent with Christophe as the HM. As I have often said, the HM makes all the difference in terms of the SD experience ... I wish we could clone him!

SeaDream 1 – Antigua to San Juan Dec 4th 2009

A review

The brief summary of our cruise is that we had a great time because of the people we met, the places we visited and the champagne we drank. There were however some real concerns about the slipping standards on this ship, which would mean that in future, I will only sail on SeaDream 2.

We will cruise on SeaDream again – but only on SeaDream 2 which has a much better and clearly deserved reputation. And hopefully with our new SeaDream friends.

Many, many congrats and best wishes to you two! :) I only wish you could've been able to celebrate it with a bottle of champagne. There's no excuse for that, and I hope it doesn't marr the memory of such a special moment in what must've been a beautiful location.

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide us all with such a well-written review. I especially enjoyed your comment about being ringside for the Hooter's shoot. LOL :D

I will echo what DJ said about the experience on the yachts being relative to the crew onboard. Meaning, don't only sail on SD2 in the future because of your experience on SD1. We sailed SD1 in the Med. Nov '07. Our first cruise ever and boy, was the experience wonderful. I can't say enough about it, and it is the bar by which all future cruises will be measured. [incidentally, our HM on SD1 was Rico. Though charming, we were a bit miffed at dinner one evening when we were told in a rather demeaning manner that our large table could not be assembled. It later was and we just dismissed the incident, avoiding him the rest of the cruise.]

In April '08 we sailed SD2 in the Carib. with friends we made on SD1 in Nov. While we had a fantastic time, we did experience the downturn in service that's been written about on this board of late and we had commented to each other that it just wasn't the same. I made the comment to DH that next time we sail, it'll only be on SD1.

Anyway, congrats & best wishes once again.

Ft, DJ and Cammiem,

Thanks for your best wishes. We did really enjoy our holiday, and nothing was going to spoil the day on Jost.

Interestingly enough, we had the same problem with Rico unable to seat a large table of 8 one night. We were all sat at the pool happily chatting and drinking when he came up and told us he coudn't accomodate us - odd really as we hadn't actually asked at that point to be seated. We made do with 2 tables of 4; 2 of the couples in our party commented that on previous cruises, a table would have been found, indeed that one would have been made up by the pool if necessary.

The key change seems to be that we now have to fit round SeaDream's schedule and regime, rather than SeaDream going out of its way to meet guests' needs.

Ft, DJ and Cammiem,

Interestingly enough, we had the same problem with Rico unable to seat a large table of 8 one night. We were all sat at the pool happily chatting and drinking when he came up and told us he coudn't accomodate us - odd really as we hadn't actually asked at that point to be seated. We made do with 2 tables of 4; 2 of the couples in our party commented that on previous cruises, a table would have been found, indeed that one would have been made up by the pool if necessary.

Interesting indeed. We knew he could seat our table of 8 because on the previous night, Donatas (maitre d') quickly & happily arranged a table for 12 of us. It may have been an inconvenience for him to seat a table for 12 in a busy dining salon, but we never caught wind of it (as it should be). Oh, well. Bottom line was that we had marvelous dinners, of both food & company. Fellow passengers on SD are fabulous, aren't they? :)

xander, congrats on your proposal!

I agree with your assessment that a lot of the problem comes back to the Hotel Manager and Maitre D' on SD1. This is our second cruise with both of them working together, and they just don't seem to have the maturity or experience required to do their jobs at the level expected on Seadream. I understand Seadream is aware of the problem and is trying to mentor them from afar but how long do these "special projects" last?

Here's our table stories. We usually sit at a group table, but about two nights per cruise we feel like dining alone. When we do this we arrive at the dining room right as it opens. Every time we've asked for a table for two on a cruise in 2007 and one in 2008 the Hotel Manager has tried to talk us into sitting at a group table even though there were usually a half dozen or more two tops empty. Unsat. We also asked him to seat a group of 8. He told us he couldn't. I looked around the room and told him how he could. He did it. Unsat. To be fair, another night he came up to our group sitting on the pool deck for cocktails and told us he had a table for 6 set aside for us. Great!

There's also not much point in raising service issues to the Hotel Manager when you feel he's part of the problem or when he tapdances and gives excuses.

Meredith and Adrian are great additions with strong personalities who set the right tone for the future of Seadream. Just give the TOTY bartender some help so he doesn't have to run down to the kitchen for 10 minutes every time someone makes a special request for coffee or a hamburger, and let him keep some potato chips on hand too.

Stebul,

Getting a table for two out of Rico seems to be harder than getting a glass of champagne on your engagement day! He upset several couples with a refusal to seat people as a twosome, and by seating people with inappropriate tablemates - to the extent that one couple we met eventually gave up on the dining room and ate all meals in their cabin.

His staff work hard - in fact they are rushed off their feet, especially the bar staff. They need more bodies, better training and more visible supervision. That is a management issue, and no amount of mentoring from afar will sort it out.

Odd, we seemed to always get a perfect table, whether for 2, 6, or 8, both in the dining room and when dinner was on deck. In fact, Mrs D is bugged that I always want to switch to the "perfect" table in restaurants, but I did not feel the need for a switch even once on SD1. Same for breakfast and lunch. And you folks know I'm not a SD cheerleader, but call it like I see it :D

We did go to dinner shortly after Meredith's talk most evenings, maybe that is why.

We did go to dinner shortly after Meredith's talk most evenings, maybe that is why.

Raganar -- I think you've hit the nail on the head. Last SD cruise, most nights our merry band ranged from 8 to 12 in number. I hate to wait for anything and I would nag the rest of the group to move as quickly as possible after the CAD finished announcements. If we went immediately, service was a lot quicker than if we didn't go down till 8:30 or so. (how the chef and his staff prepare the wonderful meals in that tiny galley is an amazing feat)

Because it is open seating if a particular table is important we try to request from the maitre d or hotel manager as early as possible in the day -- or even at dinner the first night, ask the hotel manager for a particular table. Since there are only a few two tops, I recommend requesting as soon as possible. Of course, if people are requesting but not showing up or changing their minds, that could (not saying did but could) account for Stebul's recent problems with getting a 2 top. I know that happened a couple of times also. Definitely make a request if you prefer a particular waiter every night.

As one of the "cheerleaders" I also definitely agree that the team of the hotel manager and maitre d are extremely important. On two cruises, one of the team members was fairly weak - either new and without the temperament, or experienced but burned out. As Jim Avery noted, the plunge in the dollar resulted in quite a bit of turnover. I wonder if the recent economic difficulties will cause some from crew members to return. Wouldn't it be nice to see some of those faces again? :)

FT

As one of the "cheerleaders" I also definitely agree that the team of the hotel manager and maitre d are extremely important. On two cruises, one of the team members was fairly weak - either new and without the temperament, or experienced but burned out. As Jim Avery noted, the plunge in the dollar resulted in quite a bit of turnover. I wonder if the recent economic difficulties will cause some from crew members to return. Wouldn't it be nice to see some of those faces again? :)

FT

I know I sound like a broken record ... but I can't agree more that the HM and M'd really make a difference on any cruiseline.

DJ's DH and I have found that if we politely share our preferences with the HM and M'd early on they try to accomodate us best they can.

When we have an issue (which for us has been rare) we are quick to politely point it out as soon as possible to the appropriate person. I agree stebul that it can be frustrating if the HM and M'd are the issue. IMHO, a polite word at the appropriate time with the Captain about the issue/situation isn't out of line.

We also make it a point to compliment, as warranted of course, the staff and crew thorughout the cruise.

It would be wonderful to see some of those familiar faces back on SD!

Because it is open seating if a particular table is important we try to request from the maitre d or hotel manager as early as possible in the day -- or even at dinner the first night, ask the hotel manager for a particular table. Since there are only a few two tops, I recommend requesting as soon as possible. Of course, if people are requesting but not showing up or changing their minds, that could (not saying did but could) account for Stebul's recent problems with getting a 2 top. I know that happened a couple of times also. Definitely make a request if you prefer a particular waiter every night.

The problem is when you walk into the dining room, ask for a two top noting that there are at a half dozen empty ones and you get asked by the HM "are you sure you wouldn't like to sit at a nice 4 person table so you can meet some new people?" Then I say, "No, we often sit at a large table but tonight we want a table for two". And then we are seated. This and similar conversations occurred at least 4 times on 2 different cruises a year apart. It doesn't stop us from taking SeaDream cruises, and we'll probably go back on more in the future, but it isn't what I would expect.

If they are reserved in advance, the answer should be "I'm sorry but the empty tables you see were reserved earlier in the day by other passengers. Would you like me to reserve one for you tomorrow night?" Or, "please see me at lunch tomorrow so I can reserve one for you tomorrow night." I hope they aren't reserved for some passengers but first come first served for others.

As for the tables themselves, one of the nice things about SeaDream is that there are no "bad" tables in either in the dining room or Topside. The only tables I've ever turned down are the uncovered port/starboard two-seaters Topside when the sun is bright and I don't have sunblock on (otherwise they are great tables, too).

Sorry for hijacking xander's thread!

Ian and Gus! We met you on SD, right after you got engaged! We just didn't know your name! Congrats again! Doramas was awesome to us as well. Did you consider writing these issues in your review to Seadream, and copying to Adrienne d'Annunzio? She is in charge of the "Club" and a wonderful person. Hope to see you again on another SeaDream!

We were on 4 SeaDreams last year (a year of anniversarys, special birthdays, etc) and my mom is going to be 90 this year, she is failing a bit, so we won't be on SD this year :( But maybe in 2010! Congrats again!

Ian and Gus, one more thing. I did not have anything but far superior service on SD I. This was a Christmas present from my hubby, and we were celebrating a birthday with another couple on the yacht. We met for New Years and all agreed it was our best SeaDream. I am sorry you had issues with the champagne, but we just had the best service ever.

Stebul - no need to apologise - these threads always generate discussion, it's the fun of posting! And I've learnt something I didn't know which is that it is possible to book tables in the main dining salon. I thought open dining meant that you turned up and took your chances.....well I wonder what else I don't know, and I've now done 5 SeaDream's.....

cburger100 - I did put some comments in the onboard review - positive as well as negative - but i will take onboard your suggestion to mail Adrienne.

Stebul - no need to apologise - these threads always generate discussion, it's the fun of posting! And I've learnt something I didn't know which is that it is possible to book tables in the main dining salon. I thought open dining meant that you turned up and took your chances.....well I wonder what else I don't know, and I've now done 5 SeaDream's.....

You can also ask for a dinner table to be set up outside on evenings when dining is done inside. Just ask the HM early in the day. I didn't know about this until I read an earlier thread on the board.

You can also ask for a dinner table to be set up outside on evenings when dining is done inside. Just ask the HM early in the day. I didn't know about this until I read an earlier thread on the board.

They will try to accommodate as best they can given the weather and whatnot.

It really is just a matter of communicating and/or asking ... as is with most things in life:p

Archived