Newbie to HAL

CruisinEurope

Hello!

We are looking at taking a short cruise on HAL in July.

Just a few questions if I may:

1) does HAL give a military or age 55 discount at all? (I'm not seeing that they do, but always good to check).

2) Do the hours of "early" and "late" dining vary from ship/ship or cruise/cruise? Or are they always the same? How do I find out when early and late sittings are for my cruise? - - And, in the same breath, what happens if we're waitlisted and put into "open seating" ??? What does that mean?

3) the cruise that we're looking at is one bit of a longer cruise going to the British Isles/Scandinavia. We just want the little 4 day from London/London on July 6th. I'm trying to "shop around" and am not finding this on many websites .. just the "full thing". Is this normal? Should I just book through HAL directly?

THANKS!

I appreciate the help!

I dont think they have discounts because that is a large portion of their

passengers are over 55 anyways. Its a mix of a lot of older people &

younger yuppies with children or teens, But you wont find the

bellyflop or wet Tshirt contests, more of a quieter cruise experience than other lines.

As you Wish dining means, you can have your meal when you wish, (ie not at a set time) which most people prefer unless they are a large group & want to sit together each evening with the same waiter each time.

I am going with my GF & teenager and much prefer as you wish, than having to eat at a set time. (you can choose from 1730 hrs - 2130 around)

you may have to reserve the time you want, with a possible 10 -15 min delay, but usually no delay if you are only 2 person.

You can read a lot more about it on here in various places, But dont absorb to much of the negative, because some people complain for the slightest reasons. (Most people love it and it tends to work well)

2) Do the hours of "early" and "late" dining vary from ship/ship or cruise/cruise? Or are they always the same? How do I find out when early and late sittings are for my cruise? - - And, in the same breath, what happens if we're waitlisted and put into "open seating" ??? What does that mean?

Except for the Alaska itineraries, early and main seatings are at the same time on all cruises. Early is at 5:45 and main is at 8:00 PM.

If you are assigned to, or choose, open seating, you can either make a reservation, or arrive at a time of your choosing and take your chances. Reservations are made for early times (starting at 5:15), or late (after 7:30). There is a gap in the middle for which reservations are not taken.

Traditional, fixed, seating appears to be more popular, as it tends to close out. Open seating does not.

For military and airline personnel, don't you use the interliner or perx web sites to get your discount? I know a pilot who gets discounts on cruises and he told me that it's for the military, too????? interliner dot com, etc.

So it seems that HAL doesn't honor any military discounts... from what it says on this website ...

Thanks though for sharing that! I'd not heard of that site before and DID manage to find some great military deals on other lines.

:D

Except for the Alaska itineraries, early and main seatings are at the same time on all cruises. Early is at 5:45 and main is at 8:00 PM.

I received this confirmation for my upcoming April sailing on the Eurodam:

Dining: Main (early) Confirmed

Do you think that means I'm assigned to the 5:45 seating? I requested the 8:00 PM main dining, so I think a call to my TA is in order. I'd take open seating over 5:45.

Dining: Main (early) Confirmed

A contradiction that I can't figure out! :confused: Main dining is late; early is early.

And I agree with you---I'd not want to eat at 5:45, either. :rolleyes:

Archived