Caesar Salad

Krazy Kruizers

I had caesar salad two times in the Rotterdam and once in the Lido. I thought it was just fine in the dining room but poor in the Lido. One of the times at dinner they didn't bring me anchovies so I specified that I wanted them the next time, and I got them.

I would have preferred if they had fresh shredded Parmesan cheese instead of the powdered stuff, but oh well. :rolleyes: It still tasted okay (in the dining room).

Krazy Kruisers, I am surprised no one else asked you where you live. I am surprised that Caesar Salad is not on menus where you live. Seeing as HAL is one of the mass market cruise lines, I think it makes sense to serve something on a regular basis that appeals to the masses, and this is one of those things. Not everyone wants some of the exotic combinations offered in other salad choices, and often if there is one item in them that you don't like, it would mean that you can't have salad, such as the fact that I do not like olives and beets, and my husband doesn't like tarragon. As far as my children go, the only salad that they will eat is ceasar, and I don't think they are that unusual. The first nanny we had, years ago, who was from Arizona, was surprised that in New York they didn't have ranch dressing as a choice on menus. Certain things are just regional.

Betty, thanks for quoting the guidelines. I often notice when people make errors, like mixing up two, too and to, but thought that it was a little obnoxious to comment on that kind of thing. This is an opinion board, not a classroom.

Not sure who mentioned that they liked anchovies and blue cheese crumbles on your salad, go to a Morton's and order the Morton's salad. They are happy to bring you extra anchovies, and will also bring you blue cheese crumbles on the side.

Robinsilver

As I have been on these boards for years, many people who also have been on the boards know that we live 18 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, PA -- I just always say Pittsburgh -- (and thankfully we missed another major snow storm -- it went all north of us). That is why most wouldn't think to ask where we live.

The majority of our restaurants offer spinach salads, Martha Vineyard salads, tossed salads, and pasta salads.

KK:

Martha Vineyard Salad? :D I live in MA (home of Martha's Vineyard) and never saw one on any restaurant menu in MA that I remember. I just googled it to see what it is. Doesn't sound like anything I'll be tasting anytime soon. ;)

I'm shocked you don't have Caesar Salad on menus near Pittsburgh? Does no one eat chicken caesar salads? Just about the most common lunch item around..... State after state in which we travel, that is on everyone's menu.

Really, really odd to not see it and weird enough when I feel like it, I'm going to do some internet research and find some restaurants in your area to read their menus. You have absolutely caught my attention with this. :D :)

Sail

Caesar/Cesar Salad is on some menus -- just not all restaurant menus -- the majority of restaurants here offer tossed salad -- hey -- I can buy a bag of salad and serve the same thing at home which we do a lot for lunch.

I haven't googled Martha's Vineyard salad yet to see what is listed for it.

Time to open a 6th window. Will be back in awhile.

Is this the salad that you got when you googled??

Charley's Crab Martha's Vineyard Salad Recipe

Recipe Feedback:User Rating translucent.gif Be the first to write a review[/url]

From Charley's Crab, Fort Lauderdale, FL, for About.com

Filed In:

1. Recipes
  2. > Salad Recipes

Home Cooking Ads Egg Salad Sandwich Seafood Salad Recipes Famous Restaurant Recipes Italian Chicken Recipes Coconut Shrimp Recipes

This winning salad from a popular Florida restaurant combines lettuce, blue cheese, red onion, and pine nuts. It is dressed with Raspberry Maple Dressing that may be made up to 1 week in advance.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

Preparation:

Tear lettuce leaves by hand into bite-size pieces and toss with Raspberry Maple Dressing in a large bowl. Divide lettuce evenly among 6 chilled plates and top each with blue cheese, red onion rings, and pine nuts.

Yield: 6 servings

Per serving: 223 calories, 69 percent calories from fat, 4 grams protein, 16 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams total fiber, 17 grams total fat, 4 milligrams cholesterol, 143 milligrams sodium

To toast pine nuts: Spread in a single layer in a pie pan and roast at 350 degrees about 8 minutes. For a variation, the restaurant suggests substituting toasted chopped walnuts for the pine nuts.

Raspberry Maple Dressing Recipe

Recipe Source: Charley's Crab, Fort Lauderdale, FL

Reprinted with permission.

I had never heard of a Martha's Vineyard Salad either.

I looked up a recipe for it on RecipeZaar.

Theirs was pretty much the same as the one KK posted only they called for fresh raspberries and a 1/2 cup of maple syrup :(

Sounds a little too sweet for me , for a salad course anyway.

I will stick with good old Caeser *LOL*

I had never heard of a Martha's Vineyard Salad either.

I looked up a recipe for it on RecipeZaar.

Theirs was pretty much the same as the one KK posted only they called for fresh raspberries and a 1/2 cup of maple syrup :(

Sounds a little too sweet for me , for a salad course anyway.

I will stick with good old Caeser *LOL*

Actually the Grand Concourse where we get that salad does not use maple syrup in their dressing.

Sail

Caesar/Cesar Salad is on some menus -- just not all restaurant menus -- the majority of restaurants here offer tossed salad -- hey -- I can buy a bag of salad and serve the same thing at home which we do a lot for lunch.

No, I wouldn't expect it would be on every restaurant menu but knew it had to be on some restaurant menus. It seemed over the top to think no restaurants in the Pittsburgh area offered Caesar Salad. Of course some do. Though in our area, a very large number that serve lunch offer a chicken or shrimp caesar salad.

<SNIP>

Not sure who mentioned that they liked anchovies and blue cheese crumbles on your salad, go to a Morton's and order the Morton's salad. They are happy to bring you extra anchovies, and will also bring you blue cheese crumbles on the side.

OHHH... That was me & you are all making my mouth water..:):).

But don't know "Morton's"..Please tell me where they are located? :confused:

If I have anchovies on my Cesar/Caesar salad then I will have "Baited Breath" Baited as in "Baiting the fish hook" LOL

The only thing which I find very strange is the Lobster Macaroni & Cheese dish on the Pinnacle Menu..Can't imagine anyone going to the Pinnacle & ordering Macaroni & Cheese......I enjoy Lobster but with Macaroni & Cheese it just does not seem to go together..

Thanks..Betty

Morton's is a chain of upscale steakhouses. They are compared to places such as Smith & Wolensky, Ruth's Chris, The Palm. We have one in Boston, have dined in one in San Juan and I think Las Vegas.

Dinner at Morton's with a moderately priced bottle of wine averages in the $75+ pp range.

Morton's is a chain of upscale steakhouses. They are compared to places such as Smith & Wolensky, Ruth's Chris, The Palm. We have one in Boston, have dined in one in San Juan and I think Las Vegas.

Dinner at Morton's with a moderately priced bottle of wine averages in the $75+ pp range.

Thank's Sail...Perhaps when we come up to Boston we will try it..

Betty

OHHH... That was me & you are all making my mouth water..:):).

But don't know "Morton's"..Please tell me where they are located? :confused:

If I have anchovies on my Cesar/Caesar salad then I will have "Baited Breath" Baited as in "Baiting the fish hook" LOL

The only thing which I find very strange is the Lobster Macaroni & Cheese dish on the Pinnacle Menu..Can't imagine anyone going to the Pinnacle & ordering Macaroni & Cheese......I enjoy Lobster but with Macaroni & Cheese it just does not seem to go together..

Thanks..Betty

Lobster Mac and cheese is delicious. I got a recipe from one of the TV cooking shows and it was outstanding. :)

*doing my impression of my mother*

"Have you tried it? How do you know you don't like it if you haven't tried it ?"

*LOL* :)

I have not only tried it, but have made it several times for events I have catered. Sorry, just can't get there!:D

Archived