Caesar Salad

Krazy Kruizers

That's exactly what I thought too....because it's spelled caesar on every HAL ship I've been on!

It is spelled that way on just about every land restaurant as well.

Perhaps it is universally incorrect but has become common usage.

If a restaurant (other than perhaps a Michelin 3 star which probably would not offer cesar/caesar salad) were to spell it cesar, most patrons would think it a misprint. :) :D

By the way, it is not CAESAR salad as in Julius CAESAR of Italy.

It is instead CESAR salad as in CESAR Cardini, the man who invented the salad in his restaurant in Tijuana Mexico in the 1920s.

Thank you so much! To think that all these years I've been spelling it "Caesar salad".

However I DO wish they had kept that pear salad on the PG menu...

While I love the food available in the PG, it's slowly crept further and further away from Pacific Northwest...

Oh I so missed that Pear Salad the two weeks on the Eurodam :o I agree it has slowly crept away from the Pacific Northwest offerings which I loved.

BTW the other ing thing that was a dissappointment in the Pinnacle was the "New French Onion Soup" I expected it to be as good or better than the 5 Onion Soup they have at lunch time in the Pinnacle. It was not even close and like I mentioned in my Live thread it barely had any cheese. The French Onion Soup in the Main Dining Room was far better with more flavor.

But as far as HAL offering Cesar/Caesar Salad too often, this had never occured to me. I look at Cesar/ Caesar Salad as a stable item that most people will eat when they cannot find anything else and that includes DH who would eat it at least 5 nights a week when he could not find an appetizer he liked. Now for me I would much rather make my own in the Lido so I could put in as many anchovies as I like and I love anchovies but then I also like to dress it up with a few of the toasted pecans :D

So that makes three possible spellings! I get antsy when I don't know how to spell something. AT least, it's a pretty good bet that this is one of the few places I'd have to use it in print..........and you'll notice I chickened out and didn't.

I think the Caesar Salad offered in the Lido is pretty good and especially since you can add items to your liking (croutons, extra Parmesan) but I have been disappointed in the dinner offering. It seemed to have been made up hours in advance and wasn't crisp. I skip it but would like to see some other salad choices. I don't care for the tomato in their salads that include fruit. The two don't go together, IMO. I would also like to see their daily salad offering with a special dressing - not your choice of the regular selection. I try to modify my dressings at home to complement the salad I make. Like raspberry vinaigrette with pears, blue cheese and pecans or orange vinaigrette with avocado, red onion and orange segments. (And yes, I have been called a salad snob but I love salad and spend more time planning and making it than most cooks.)

To answer your question, I think the Caesar at dinner should not be dropped but perhaps dressed at the table as their other salads are.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. We have salad at least once every

day and it doesn't come out of one of those plastic bags. I love all

types of salads and dressing, but was glad for the caesar salad since

I found the dressing not very flavorful on our last two HAL cruises on

different ships. I found myself always asking our server to bring me

just oil & vinegar and I would dress it myself and I never do that at

home.

So that makes three possible spellings! I get antsy when I don't know how to spell something. AT least, it's a pretty good bet that this is one of the few places I'd have to use it in print..........and you'll notice I chickened out and didn't.

What kind of salad are you referring to?

You must mean the dining room for lunch?

In the lido there's a make your own ceasar station on the right side of the sandwich area... Big bowl of romaine, big bowl of dressing, anchovies, croutons, parmesan cheese.... Then sometimes I'll go to the regular salad bar area and get some olives and/or carrots

If I don't like it THEN.... it's all my fault :)

All the Caesar Salads that we have seen on the R and S and Vista class ships in the LIDO at lunch time are prepared in large batches -- made way ahead -- and yes - many of them already have the dressing on them -- they sit far too long and are whimmpy!!!

I am with Lisa on this one -- there is no reason why the Pinnacle had to drop the Pear Salad!!

It was popular -- and very different from the Lido and the main dining room.

There is no reason why the Pinnacle has to offer a Ceasar/Cesar Salad when passengers can get it elsewhere on theship.

I always loved the fact that you get different items in the Pinnacel from the main dining room but it looks like that is slowly changing.

There isn't any way that the Ceasar/Cesar Salad could be made tableside in the dining room as one poster suggested. The aisles between the tables is very small. The waiters, assitant waiters, and people arriving late for traditional dining -- and constant movement for the AYWD dining -- would make it immposible for a special preparation table.

Then you need to consider something else very important. The waitstaff have more tables than they did years ago and do not have the time to do these special preparations in the dining room.

There isn't any way that the Ceasar/Cesar Salad could be made tableside in the dining room as one poster suggested. The aisles between the tables is very small. The waiters, assitant waiters, and people arriving late for traditional dining -- and constant movement for the AYWD dining -- would make it immposible for a special preparation table.

I wonder if that poster meant to put the dressing on at the table. The poster said other salads were prepared at the table....but I can't think of one so I am assuming they meant adding the salad dressing. One night on the Statendam they did bring it out with no dressing and added it at the table. It was even different in the presentation. It tasted much better that way.

I wonder if that poster meant to put the dressing on at the table. The poster said other salads were prepared at the table....but I can't think of one so I am assuming they meant adding the salad dressing. One night on the Statendam they did bring it out with no dressing and added it at the table. It was even different in the presentation. It tasted much better that way.

You are right -- I think they thought that having the dressing put on the salad at the salad is the same as making it at the table -- which you and I know just isn't so.

I am with Lisa on this one -- there is no reason why the Pinnacle had to drop the Pear Salad!!

It was popular -- and very different from the Lido and the main dining room.

There is no reason why the Pinnacle has to offer a Ceasar/Cesar Salad when passengers can get it elsewhere on theship.

I always loved the fact that you get different items in the Pinnacel from the main dining room but it looks like that is slowly changing.

Oh crap... now we have multiple spellings for the Pinnacle Grill too...

:D

Archived