Seasick on Azamara Journey?

DanielBu

Hello everybody,

I have been on a cruise only once so far, it was the Costa Atlantica. Untill then I was afraid of becoming seasick but I was fine on board all the time.

As the Atlantica is quite a big ship (about 85,000 tons), is it possible that the Azamara Journey is not that calm on bigger waves? I know that it has stabilizers but do you think smaller ships like the Azamara (about 30,000 tons) have a higher risk of seasickness?

Thank you for every advice given.

Daniel

Berlin / Germany

I just disembarked the Journey today and I can tell you that she does move about a lot more than the larger ships do. I did get slightly sick going from Miami to Aruba, but I got sick on the Jewel of the Seas (about 85,000 tons I think) in that same swell, so I'm afraid I just don't do well in swells (long, rolling motions). Choppy seas don't bother me so much.

There are many motion sickness remedies you could try. My favorite is ginger because it doesn't make me drowsy. It's not for everbody, especially people taking blood thinners, as I recall. Other people take Bonine, which is an over the counter medicine. I find that even the "less drowsy" version knocks me out, so I only take it late at night. Still others use a patch behind their ears (I forget the name of the medication, and have not tried it). Good luck!

These ships do not tend to do well in any high seas.

The worst place seems to be the front and that can be avoided. We have had very rough seas around Barcelona and the coast of France several times and if this is a problem for you think low and mid ship for your cabin choice.

Thank you for your answers so far.

To orchestrapal: Does "low" in this case mean "close over sealevel"? So should I decide on a cabin in the middle of the ship, deck 4?

Does "in any high seas" mean "during bad weather"? As we like to go on a cruise through the Caribbean, I expect calmer seas, do you think that makes a diffrence?

Thank you for your help.

Daniel

Hi Daniel !

I was onboard Quest, in the Caribbean, when she went through a very rough storm. I sailed with 2 relatives who have had minor problems with Seasickness in the past. They both use Bonine and Sea-Bands (my preference is Sea-Bands). I can tell you that none of us had any problems on Quest. Was it a bit rocky ? Yes... but you might want to look into some of the preventative items mentioned above, and in Critterchick's post. If unsure, always seek medical advice.

Here is an interesting tid-bit. We were on Caribbean Princess last year, in a bad storm, and those same 2 Family Members didnt do nearly as well, as our Quest sailing. This Princess ship is nearly 4 times larger than Azamara's ships.

Although I cannot promise you the same results, I thought Quest handled very well under the circumstances. Enjoy your Cruise !

We've been on 1 cruise on Oceania Regatta, B2B on Pacific Princess and B2B on Azamara Journey, so we now have 5 cruises total on the old R ships.

We enjoy the heavy seas, but can definitely tell you where you have the least & the most motion! We have booked cabins on deck three (once), deck four (once) and deck seven (three times). If you don't mind a port hole, deck three definitely rides the smoothest (& a great value). If you want a large window, but low in the ship and the least movement, (except down on deck 3), then book a cabin on deck four - you won't be disappointed, it's a great location. If you can handle some motion, book on deck seven midship. Forward on 6, 7, or 8 will be a rougher ride. We like aft of the elevators on Deck 7 - great location, no noise, some motion.

Mary Jane

We've been on 1 cruise on Oceania Regatta, B2B on Pacific Princess and B2B on Azamara Journey, so we now have 5 cruises total on the old R ships.

We enjoy the heavy seas, but can definitely tell you where you have the least & the most motion! We have booked cabins on deck three (once), deck four (once) and deck seven (three times). If you don't mind a port hole, deck three definitely rides the smoothest (& a great value). If you want a large window, but low in the ship and the least movement, (except down on deck 3), then book a cabin on deck four - you won't be disappointed, it's a great location. If you can handle some motion, book on deck seven midship. Forward on 6, 7, or 8 will be a rougher ride. We like aft of the elevators on Deck 7 - great location, no noise, some motion.

Mary Jane

How about deck 8 aft?

There are many motion sickness remedies you could try. My favorite is ginger because it doesn't make me drowsy. It's not for everbody, especially people taking blood thinners, as I recall. Other people take Bonine, which is an over the counter medicine. I find that even the "less drowsy" version knocks me out, so I only take it late at night. Still others use a patch behind their ears (I forget the name of the medication, and have not tried it). Good luck!

It's scopolamine [Transderm Scop] and is Rx only.

The sickest I every got was on the Grand Princess, one of the larger ships out there, we were in a aft sweet.

I just went on a Azamara Transatlantic, with 18 foot seas one day, and I never got sick as I took my Bonine as I usually do.

the Bonine did not work on the Grand Princess aft cabin, and never again will I book an aft cabin.

Even my sailing mate got sick and his has never gotten motion sickness in his whole life.

don't worry about any ship as long as you take your meds, and keep to the center of the ship.

Archived