What to expect from spring break cruise?

Demonyte

Because of time restrictions and available decent priced international flights we were "forced" to take a 14nt cruise from Miami on Norwegian Jewel Mar 15th and the first 5nt part (Western Caribbean) is apparently pretty much going to be a full-featured example of spring break.

So, us being really green cruisers (2nd for me and my GF in our late twenties, 1st for my parents in their late fifties), what should we expect and is there something that should me taken in account before the cruise? From what I've read there are a lot of CC members that wouldn't go on spring break cruises even if getting paid for it.. :o

The Spring Breaks in the U.S. are scheduled over a period of maybe 6-7 weeks, so there is no one single week for Spring Break. The five night cruises are more popular with college age passengers than 7 night cruises, so your guess about the first 5 nights is probably correct.

In early March 2008 we were on a 7 night cruise on NCL and there were a few college aged passengers, but not a significant number. With the poor economic times now, probably fewer students than usual will travel. On our cruise, there was nothing noticeable about these passengers .... no "party time" atmosphere. In fact, the young ladies were probably some of the nicest-dressed women on the ship at dinner (can't say the same for the men). The bigger problem was with the high school aged passengers, in my opinion....some of them figuring out how to get alcohol (drinking age is 21, but 18 if parents consent in writing).

There really is no way of figuring out in advance what kind of passenger mix you will have, but you can count on more school-aged passengers of all grades than normal during this time of year.

I checked two websites and the consensus is that the week of March 16-20 is the most popular,with something like 2.1 million college students out of schools in the U.S.

Here is a link if you are interested:

http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar2.htm

Also, being from Finland, you may or may not be pleased with the average American passenger, regardless of age, but that is part of the cultural adventure of travelling to foreign lands, correct?

My advice would be to assume that there will be a younger crowd on the ship on your sailing, but that fact will not detract significantly from your enjoyment. Its not like "late twenties" makes you ancient, after all.

Enjoy your cruise.

I agree with the previous poster. The time frame that Spring Break occurs is really quite large. Factor in the thousands of different destinations and vacation options and I really don't think spring break will have much of an effect on a cruise unless of course an entire college rents the ship!

You will have a great time!

I wasn't going to mention this unless someone brought it up. NCL is offering group packages for spring break where for $300 more you can get unlimited liquor for the week. Don't know if it is all sailings, but my dd friend goes to UDel and they are having 200 kids going the end of March on the Gem. I am guessing your five day is a PERFECT spring break cruise. Can you switch to Holland America? LOL

I would think on the itinenary you are going on you would be more likely to just encounter more kids than during "normal" times, but not that many college students. I do have to say I am one of those that would never choose to cruise during spring break, however doesn't sound like you had many options and a spring break cruise is better than no cruise. I really do think you are going to be ok on yours. PLEASE remember to come back here and let us know how it goes and how you liked your cruise.

Most of our cruises were Spring Break, including a few where we either sailed or traveled on Easter. We have a teenage son & that's what fits in our schedule. It really isn't that bad. but YMMV.

Crowded: Yes absolutely. However, it's fun seeing families together including kids of all ages. On the ship we rarely ran into toddlers/small ones & strollers. I guess they had their own time at the play centers. The teenagers; they too have their own "hang out" area. DS had a great time on every cruise. Once (NCL) I accidentally went into their area & I couldn't get out fast enough. :)

Shows: very crowded. Lot's of seat saving. (Can you blame them??? Of course I would want to sit with my family/friends). Just get there a little earlier.

Deck chairs: sorry seat saving here too.

Dining wasn't bad, except for Easter Dinner. The Maitre D really pushed us into joining a large table for dinner.

Ports: Very busy, but you're on vacation :) Once we went away from the port on an excursion everyone did their own thing. The only places I remember being very crowded were: Dunns Falls in Jamaica, Chankanaab in Coz & the public beach in Acapulco.

I think you'll notice the crowds more on sea days, esp if you have two in a row. Folks get cabin fever.

The one cruise we took in late September was mostly adults/couples. It was quieter & subdue, but then not a lot of late nighters.

Anyway.. enjoy!!!!

My wife and I have a completely different perspective:

She is an elementary school teacher and I am an elementary school principal. We have, and are again, cruising during spring break. You might think that the last thing we would want to see on vacation are more kids, but it's actually quite the opposite! We get to watch the kids having a blast and we don't have to correct their behavior or worry about liability (ok, I ALWAYS worry about kids getting hurt). The "vigilance" is always there, as well as the urge to correct behavior- just a habit after over 20 years of being in the schools! We laugh, enjoy watching kids that are "not ours" and it just feels normal to have them around.

Archived