Cancellation Insurance

haven't used this insurance, but if you do a check, you can see what others have experience with.

might want to check out insuremytrip. com. it does a great compare.

and finally, you should always get your insurance from an independent source in case either the agency, the tour provider, whatever, goes bankrupt.

We always used travelexinsurance.com for our travel insurance. They even updated our sailing dates when we had to change our cruise date from Jan 2005 to Feb 2005 and responded within 24 hrs of our request.

I have been looking for insurance since cruising in February leaving from Phila. My biggest concern is snow- according to the farmers alamnac etc we are in for a very white winter. But the policies I am seeing will only pay off if the airports are closed....not if planes are grounded because of weather. (what the heck is that?) Is it not the same thing? Talking to various agencies they are telling me NO- the airport needs to be closed in order to get my money back. Am I asking the wrong questions here? Im not too concerned about the medical portion-- jsut in case of bad weather and i cant get to Florida for my cruise.

We are heading to the western caribbean with some dive stops included. Is there a phrase in the policies that will tell me they cover dive happenings in their policy? Some postings have mentioned that some companies exclude dives, hang gliding etc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

mary

Mary, I highly recommend getting DAN insurance to cover you for dive accidents. That is the Divers Alert Network - http://www.DAN.org. They are the leaders in dive medicine and their dive insurance policies are excellent. Though I take out trip insurance for each cruise, every year I buy a yearly policy from DAN because most trip policies exclude "hazardous" activities such as diving.

I won't dive without it.

Hope that helps!

I bought from Travel Alert for last year's Amazon cruise but didn't have a claim so can't really say how good they would be. I am using HTH for my upcoming Antarctica cruise-a little cheaper. However, if you are concerned about bankruptcy of the carrier (as I am) be careful because they don't all cover that. Also, they ALL exclude bankruptcy of the company you bought the trip from, which is a real problem for me and I haven't found a solution except to buy at the last minute to reduce the time you are exposed.

I used HTH for a recent trip. They do cover financial default, as long as you purchase the policy within 2 weeks of your trip deposit (same for preexisting health conditions). Unfortunately, I had to use the insurance, as I broke my ankle a few days before the trip. They paid in full, in a timely fashion.

Archived