Crime in Barcelona

During December stay in Barcelona we had a briefcase snatched from back of a cab as we said goodbye to friends who shared cab from ship with us. The driver put luggage on ground at curb. Be very careful and keep your luggage in sight. We filed police report but there was no camera.

We also saw a shoplifter at a grocery store set off an alarm with clerks just taking merchandise from coat and not calling police. This may be the cause of the problem. There is a tolerance for theft.

What "problem"?

What evidence is there (as distinct from "I'm in a foreign country so it must be unsafe/dangerous" xenophobia) that there is more theft in Barcelona than anywhere else?

I suggest you spend some time looking at the Barcelona forum on Trip Advisor. It's nothing to do with xenophobia, unfortunately there is a real problem with pickpockets in Barcelona, as evidenced by many travellers and a number of Barcelona experts on the forum.

I've been to Barcelona twice and had done a lot of research both times. I was extra vigilant and fortunately did not encounter a problem. However, I did see a couple of occasions where people were pickpocketed and I also know personally of 3 people (friends - not hearsay) who have encountered pickpockets in Barcelona.

Incidentally, I've also visited MANY other cities and done a vast amount of research on those too, but have never encountered the volume of discussion (and anecdotal evidence) of theft, anywhere near the amount in Barcelina

It IS a real problem there and it is advisable to be vigilant. The vast majority of people won't have a problem but some people do, and that's the whole point of such boards as these - to warn people of the dangers and the methods of avoidance.

It's nothing to do with xenophobia, unfortunately there is a real problem with pickpockets in Barcelona, as evidenced by many travellers and a number of Barcelona experts on the forum.
There are problems with pickpockets everywhere. And bag snatches. And distraction thefts.

For example, we also have plenty of pickpockets in London. Some of the best are the gangs of pickpockets that come here from South America. We also have plenty of bag snatchers. Many of my friends have lost bags in London. I've spent a number of evenings with police officers as a result, as well as rendering other practical assistance.

And thieves particularly like to prey on tourists, as tourists are easy meat.

So, again, I would like to know: What evidence is there that there is a particular "problem" in Barcelona. The advice given to everyone to make sure they are safe goes for everywhere - including one's own home town (which could very well be even more crime-ridden).

You clearly missed (or 'failed' to see) the point I made which is that anyone doing any research on a city will come across good and bad things. However, more than any city I have researched - and I travel a lot - I have never seen such continual anecdotal evidence - by travellers, by locals, by the press and, as stated, by personal contact - that Barcelona has a real pickpocket problem, more so than any other city I've heard about.

I love Barcelona, wouldn't hesitate to visit again but with a realistic attitude towards what goes on there. I've clearly touched a nerve with you - sorry for that, but please don't go around accusing people of xenophobia over their very real concerns.

On my 20th trip to Europe I was robbed in the Barcelona metro - they dipped into my purse and took a smaller coin purse that had some E's and a credit card. They actually threw away the purse with the credit card in a connecting passage where we found it in a trash can - praise God. I still love Barcelona but do be aware in the metro stations, esp. the big ones with connecting passages in the tourist part of the city. If you are entering or exiting the train and for some reason there is a jam up - be on guard - that is how they set me up. They work as a group - several days later we were down in the metro again and actually saw them setting up an elderly gentleman - we started shouting "Ladrones, ladrones" - they bolted. So do be on guard and carry a minimum amount of cash or credit cards.

this is exactly what happened to us in Barcelona before our fall TA.

My Husband had his wallet taken on the metro, we were targetted by a small gang and although we realised what was happening it could have been nasty if we had resisted,unfortunatley he had his credit card in wallet but his american cash in his body belt.

It was quite funny as he became a kept man as my card was fine.

when we got to our hotel they were fantastic in helping us as were Sentinel who we have our documents registered with.

There was another man not as fortunate as us that had everything taken.

what annoyed us was the police just regarded it as a hazard in Barcelona, they have no cameras on the Metro and wanted no descriptions only to issue us with a report and send us on our way.

The pickpockets were very well dressed, spoke good english and were darn good runners!

Barcelona is a great city, we spent 3 days before and one day after out cruise last Nov. We never had any problems nor did we see any. On the plane over to Barcelona I put all my money and credit cards passport in a pouch, my wife did the same. I never did use my wallet again for the next 16 days . My wife did not carry a purse but she did use a fanny pack for stuff I'm really not sure what. The trains where crowded, and some of the streets and ally's where also pretty well filed up with people. I live in Cleveland, Ohio and we never go down town, just last week there was a big gang style shooting killing one and wounding another. I was never fearful of walking the tourist areas of Barcelona, and I would do so again in a heartbeat. Enjoy your stay.

Does anyone with any knowledge of Venice (nr St Marks Square in particular), have any idea where there may be a decent sized supermarket where I can buy some boxed wine prior to our cruise.

It has to be Californian wine, particularly Blosson Hill - White Zinfandel, NOT local wines (although they are lovely too!!!)

Archived