Snorkeling in January

plunker

Is it too cold to snorkel and do the stingray tour in January? I read somewhere the average water temp. is 80 degrees but some of my wife's friends said they have been there in Jan and the water is too cold. We booked a stingray trip and are now rethinking it. Thanks for any help.

We were there Dec 30th and when we first got in the water it felt cool, but we warmed up quickly. When the wind picked up we just lowered ourselves more in the water to keep warm. When we snorkeled, it felt great. We are from a colder area of the country so maybe it is different if you are from Florida!

We would do it again in a heartbeat!

We've snorkeled at Grand Cayman 3 times during December and January. My wife won't snorkel in water she thinks is cold, but temperature of the water has never been a problem there. It was very comfortable when we were there and we're looking forward to doing it again 2 weeks from today.:)

As was mentioned earlier, the average water temperature in the winter is probably around 80 degrees or so. Whether you find that temperature cold or warm is going to be entirely relative, and based on your own preferences.

We just got back from a two-week land vacation there. I found the water a little cool, but I'm a "prefers hot tubs with steam coming off the water" suck about that kind of thing. My DH was in the water more than he was out of it...he thought the water was just fine. Both of us wore shorts the whole time, btw...the air temperatures were fabulous, especially compared to the blowing snow and freezing temps at home. :D We also still went out to Stingray City and had a great time in the water there.

Archived