Good reads set in Alaska

Sapphire73

Are there any books set in Alaska which you would recommend? I have just started reading Gary Paulsen's Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod. I have also been reading a book by Heather Lende called, If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name: News from Small-Town Alaska, which is set in Haines. Paulsen's book tells of his preparation for entering the Iditarod, etc. and Lende's book offers some interesting insights into life in Alaska. (I am enjoying both books but I'm not sure that they would appeal to everyone.)

Is there already a thread about books that are partially or completely set in Alaska? If not, feel free to recommend some more books that might be fun to read before traveling there. Thanks!

.... light, easy to read, but very descriptive of the land and people. I enjoy them. There are two different series -- the one about the widow lady traveling in her motorhome is like a dream come true (not about the widow part, just the traveling)! ;)

Michner's "Alaska" is great if you like the history -- I plan to give it another go before our cruisetour in August. It's harder to read though and usually the print is very fine....hard on the old eyes!

Dana Stabenow has lots of good mysteries set in Alaska.

I also highly recommend Stabenow. She is #1. The absolute best and accurate when portraying the life and duties of an Alaska state trooper in what has been called "The World's Toughest Police Beat" IMO.

Sue Henry's dog sledding books are a close second.

A former trooper

.... light, easy to read, but very descriptive of the land and people. I enjoy them. There are two different series -- the one about the widow lady traveling in her motorhome is like a dream come true (not about the widow part, just the traveling)! ;)

Michner's "Alaska" is great if you like the history -- I plan to give it another go before our cruisetour in August. It's harder to read though and usually the print is very fine....hard on the old eyes!

As anyone who has read any of Michener's many books knows, the first few chapters are VERY descriptive regarding how the land was formed, inhabitants --creatures and humans--arrived, etc. and can be a bit boring. If you can stick with it beyond the first chapters, I found "Alaska" fascinating. With the way he weaves his fictional story characters in with actual historical figures and events, it helped me to understand and appreciate the history and settlement of this great state. When we cruised Alaska last year for the first time, the names of people and places (i.e. Aleksandr Baranov, Sheldon Jackson, "Soapy" Smith and Frank Reid, George Carmack) along with the history and culture of the Native Alaskans held more meaning for me.....it wasn't just dry historical facts.

I also would recommend the other books mentioned in previous posts.

Archived