Suggestions for Post-Cruise in Italy

Hello Fellow Travelers,

We're on the 4/29 Noordam sailing R/T out of Rome. Our return flight is on Monday 5/11 and the cruise ends on the 9th, so we have a couple days to venture into the countryside before flying home (we're coming in a week early and will spend that time in Rome). We've only been to northern Italy up til now, and will see Livorno/Florence, Palermo, and Naples/Pompeii on the cruise. So, esteemed travelers, what would you suggest? We're thinking small towns/villages, doing some leisurely exploring and soaking up lots of Italian ambience and charm.

Many thanks...

Peggy

Hello Fellow Travelers,

We're on the 4/29 Noordam sailing R/T out of Rome. Our return flight is on Monday 5/11 and the cruise ends on the 9th, so we have a couple days to venture into the countryside before flying home (we're coming in a week early and will spend that time in Rome). We've only been to northern Italy up til now, and will see Livorno/Florence, Palermo, and Naples/Pompeii on the cruise. So, esteemed travelers, what would you suggest? We're thinking small towns/villages, doing some leisurely exploring and soaking up lots of Italian ambience and charm.

Many thanks...

Peggy

If I were doing the planning, I'd opt to go to Florence for at least a day and a night. For the Livorno stop on the cruise I'd opt for Portovenere, Lucca, Elba, Cinque Terre or similar. Have been to Firenze many, many times (well over 50) and will go back every time we are in Italy. It's magical, wonderful and beautiful.

Since you only have a few days, Umbria might be a great , convenient place to check out.

The hill towns are beautiful, and you can just take in the nice Italian-paced lifestyle... Assisi, Perugia, Orvieto, Gubbio... not the huge tourist draws, but great places to spend time and experience the culture.

(Full disclosure: I lived in Perugia for a summer, so I am biased... but look into it!)

My vote is north to Tuscany - OR - head south to Positano/Amalfi.

I agree with texancruzer and book a couple of days in Positano. We were there for our honeymoon 10 years ago, and loved it! The atmosphere at night is magic. I love to stay at the Pasitea or Covo dei Saraceni hotel.

I would go with Tuscany. I would take the train to Florence-spend a day/night there. Then rent a car and stay at an Agritourism (farm accomodations usually a pool etc as well) in the country and do day trips from there...Siena, etc. We did this in September. It was wonderful.

In Florence we stayed at the Hotel Sempione. It was recommended but a key reason was that it was within walking distance of the train station, where we arrived, and the auto rental, where we departed. Just a very small clean hotel frequented by locals. Room was very good, quiet( had a balcony but faced the back court hence no street noise) breakfast equally good. Quite inexpensive. There are many agritourisms. Ours was just outside Siena. We toured Chianti and the way to it and we did have some challenges in finding the place as one would expect since it was on a country lane. There are many of these so it is best to decide what you want to see and then pick a central spot. We did not rush about, we visited one, sometimes two small towns a day. After that we drove east to the Marche area, dropped the car in Ancona, and ferried to Split.

We will be staying at a B &B just outside Florence. Its a 14th century mill on the Arno river converted to a B & B.

5 Km to downtown Florence, - walk, bike or bus to city.

80 euros per night. Here is the link

http://en.bbplanet.it/bed-and-breakfast-la-martellina-girone-fiesole_s7861/en/

bbplanet is an excellent site for all over Italy.

Paul

You do need to consider a few issues. You are talking about a weekend and you should keep in mind that many shops, restaurants, etc are closed in Italy on Sundays and Monday mornings. You might want to factor this into your planning. We do agree with a lot of the comments regarding some of our favorite places such as San Gimignano, other places in Tuscany or Umbria. But, if you want to explore the smaller towns and the countryside you will need to consider renting a car (we have driver many thousands of fun miles in Italy).

Hank

This is very true. We changed our itinerary more than once because rental car agencies located in cities never seemed to beopen on Sundays (and we are very reluctant to do dropoffs in towns without an inspection and signoff). We ended up in Florence by train on a Sunday. Many things were closed. Did not matter as we had been there before and just wanted to walk about and 'soak' it all in. But, had we never been there before we would have been disappointed. Also keep in mind that depending where you go, and what you want to see, you can make advance reservations for entry into certain museums etc. in Italy. They can save you many cumulative hours of lining up.

Archived