Trip insurance?

IUFAN

For an opposing view, would you buy collision and comprehensive insurance on a car that was worth $2,000? Almost any financial planner/analyst would say no for 95% of the population. But we buy travel insurance for a $2,000 trip. Now I know some buy for the health insurance portion, which is fine, if you need it. But if you're buying mostly for the trip cancellation/interuption benefit - think about whether you really need it, as compared to the cost. Also, pay attention to the individual benefits of the policy you are buying. Just like any other insurance, don't pay for coverage you don't need.

and would you feel the same if you didn't buy it and had to be air lifted back home to the tune of $35,000? It happened to a member of our church a couple of months ago. I do agree one should pay attention to what they are getting, but everyone should carry insurance when traveling.

Nita

We never used to buy insurance until 2006 before an inexpensive 4-day cruise. The insurance was TravelGuard. On the first night at sea I came down with acute pancreatitis, was taken off the ship in port the next morning and spent the next 4 days in the hospital. Then, the real agony began!! It took 9 months, as well as going through the Better Business Bureau and the State Insurance Commissioner to get any kind of refund and we were never fully reimbursed. I'm happy to hear that so many other people were fully reimbursed, including a friend of ours who used the same company. Our experience was horrible. So we will never use TravelGuard again! According to the BBB they have an "unsatisfactory" rating, so buyer beware!:mad:

So far I have not bought insurance. I have had to pay for travel delays and rebooked airline flights, but it has not amounted to what I would have paid for the insurance. Right now I am in excellent health. I can certainly understand those that are not in great health buying the insurance. At some point in the future, I will have to consider that position. I understand that I am taking a gamble and could loose but have decided to accept the risk. Life is a gamble.

We always take trip insurance too. But we won't use the cruise line's recommended insurance because in the event of a cruise line going bust, their insurance will not pay or compensate the insured for their cancellation of your trip. And over the last few decades, I have seen a number of cruise lines go bust and personally know people who were burned by having their insurance through them instead of with a separate insurance carrier. Insuremytrip.com is a great place to find the policy that is right for you. Even my 2 sons always take out trip insurance when they travel with their families. Don't even think twice about it.:)

Archived