Fuel surcharge

teripp

Are you noticing that gas prices are going back up thanks to OPEC ? (as they have announced they are doing as demand went down...) Don't be shocked when the fuel surcharge comes back... Won't be too long for that one considering that where I live I saw gas prices go up 9 cents yesterday in the time I passed the gas station on the way to work and then on the way home...... Who else thinks we are not long from the charges coming back? Do I book a cruise now or wait and see a bit longer as I am waiting for the tax refund to come in.... ?

I don't think it much matters when you book. I have booked since the fuel surcharges were eliminated and all of the paperwork for the bookings are clearly marked that the cruise line reserves the right to reinstitute the fuel surcharge for the booking if the fuel prices warrant it. After all of the legal issues related to the fuel surcharge in Florida, the cruise lines are now smart enough to have an out if prices rise and the need (in their view) for a fuel surcharge returns. I would book whenever you feel comfortable based on criteria other than the presence or absence of a fuel surcharge.

Fuel (oil) is going up because of the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians in the Gaza strip...any conflict in the middle east will make the traders nervous and find a reason to pad their pockets

Fuel (oil) is going up because of the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians in the Gaza strip...any conflict in the middle east will make the traders nervous and find a reason to pad their pockets

Our local station went up $0.12, two increases within 24 hours.:eek: Don't tell me they base the price on what they pay for gas, I know they didn't get two deliveries in 24 hours:rolleyes:

Our local station went up $0.12, two increases within 24 hours.:eek: Don't tell me they base the price on what they pay for gas, I know they didn't get two deliveries in 24 hours:rolleyes:

I stated why oil is rising...why don't you ask your local gas station why they upped the price of gasoline....and not grump at me ok!

Oil closed down below $43 per barrel because US reserves rose 6.7 million barrels instead of the 1.5 million barrels they were predicting, therefore showing that demand is still falling and gasoline reserves rose to 3.3 million barrels...mainly because more people are unemployed and therefore not driving like they used to

Today's newspapers state to expect gas prices back up to $3.00/gallon by summer. It was really nice paying $1.65 last week; same station is now $1.83.

I paid 1.31 at a local gas station here in NJ just last friday. Today, the price is up to 1.66 thats an increase of .35 in 5 days!! What gives?

So if by chance.............geez.............prices rise over 70.00 a barrel again and we've already paid for our cruise, we could still be billed for the fuel charge right?

You don't get exempt because you've already paid do you?

I really don't think they will rise that much again. I think the increase was due to Holiday travel and you should be noticing drops already, but I just want to know if I will have to pay after paying for the cruise...

Oil closed down below $43 per barrel because US reserves rose 6.7 million barrels instead of the 1.5 million barrels they were predicting, therefore showing that demand is still falling and gasoline reserves rose to 3.3 million barrels...mainly because more people are unemployed and therefore not driving like they used to

It doesn't look like demand will increase much before summer travel at the rate people are loosing their jobs. The price of oil today is the price for February delivery - guess it will be a wait and see game wether the prices go up or down:eek::rolleyes:

i called princess when i noticed that the $100 surcharge they gave me back is now $66. they said the government raised their tax/fee, so instead of charging me, they deducted it from my surcharge reimbusement.

Princess stated that the fuel surcharge would be lifted for Cruises starting on or after the 17th of Dec. My cruise started on the 13th and we went on our cruise with data showing that only on ONE day has crude blipped over 70 dollars per barrel in the previous six weeks--their criteria for returning the fuel surcharge.

WHile on board we went to the customer service desk and asked about the fuel surcharge. We were told promptly without delay that Princess were "GOING TO SEND A REFUND CHECK TO ALL PASSENGERS ON THIS CRUISE." Unequivocally.

On returning I called Princess and asked them about this. They denied that this was their policy, and that they didn't know why I had been told this. (It was a ruse to get rid of me from the service desk obviously.)

Then they told me to write a letter to Princess and they would "See if I was eligible for a refund, which I did and the letter has gone completely UNACKNOWLEDGED. ANOTHER ruse to get rid of me.

As crude oil was at 40 or so a barrel when we cruised and as these prices were way below the price at which they instituted fuel surcharges I feel VERY ripped off and LIED TO! Forgive the grammar but you get my drift.

There are better cruise lines who won't rip you off-- I suggest you go find one.

So if by chance.............geez.............prices rise over 70.00 a barrel again and we've already paid for our cruise, we could still be billed for the fuel charge right? Yep, if it goes over $70/b

You don't get exempt because you've already paid do you? Nope.

I really don't think they will rise that much again. I think the increase was due to Holiday travel and you should be noticing drops already, but I just want to know if I will have to pay after paying for the cruise...

I don't think you will either, but if we could predict the rise and fall of oil futures we wouldn't need to be worrying about surcharges and extra fees.:p

While on board we went to the customer service desk and asked about the fuel surcharge. We were told promptly without delay that Princess were "GOING TO SEND A REFUND CHECK TO ALL PASSENGERS ON THIS CRUISE." Unequivocally.
I hope you have the name and title of whomever told you this, or at least a description and the time and location. That assurance was clearly against Princess's stated intentions and press-release on the matter, and this is the only part of your post that might stand a chance of receiving an apology. You do have a right to be upset that you were misled onboard. You don't have a right to expect a fuel refund given the date of your cruise.

WHile on board we went to the customer service desk and asked about the fuel surcharge. We were told promptly without delay that Princess were "GOING TO SEND A REFUND CHECK TO ALL PASSENGERS ON THIS CRUISE." Unequivocally.

Sorry to hear you have not heard from Princess. I am suprised, and I am sure you were too, to be given such an unequivocal statement considering that the price was above $70 (even for one day) during the 6 weeks prior to your cruise which would make all passengers on that cruise ineligible for a refund according to the terms Princess announced. I see no rip off here at all but certainly some bad advice from the Pursers Desk.

Archived