UK cruisers ? About voltage.

I have a US hair dryer so never think about this but this time want 2 also bring my heated rollers. Are there 3 pin sockets as well as the US 2 pin? Is there dual voltage? I have loads adaptors but whats the voltage? Do our appliances work ok? Oh and do our dvds work on their system? Any info on the set up on rci appreciated!

Can't help with the DVD side of things though I was of the opinion that the regular cabins had their outlets disabled.

120V on board and we used a power strip as the location of the outlets isn't brilliant plus we needed to use my GHDs, and chargers for toothbrushes, mobile, laptop etc. Took along a Fuji world adapter which was brilliant.

Worldadapter.jpg

Many thanks! Dont want to chance reg heated rollers then will bring my travel set. Thanks for adaptor tip and also good to know that there are eu sockets too although I think we should have a few sockets in our room. Mirror, light and sockets - all a girl needs! Will see if anyone else knows about the dvds? Thank you!

Most travel adapters will convert the plug style, Uk 3 pin to European or USA 2 pin but will not convert the voltage.

If you look on your heated rollers you should find a rating panel this will tell you what volts the appliance needs to run if it reads 100-240v you should be ok with the plug style adapter if it reads 230-240v they will not work without a volt converter speaking from past experience and a bad hair day.:mad:

If you are looking for travel hair care appliances make sure they are world wide multi voltage.

Do I understand it right that on the ship the 2 pin European socket is suppling 220v and we will only need a plug style converter not a volt converter.

Sue

My experience is that most outlets are 110 volt US standard outlets, even on Europe based cruises. I have found 220 outlets in the room, and I was able to use them for applications that use the electric regardless of voltage. I think the crew does use European voltage housekeeping appliances . at least thats what it looks like to me.

THe thing is, that every particular ship may or may not have these 220 outlets in the room. And be aware, most adaptors only change the arrangement of pins on the plugs, not the voltage. The correct voltage may be necessary for a application to work correctly and safely.

Thanks all! I just checked and the nicky clarke travel rollers I have are world wide. They not as big a set as regular one but pretty good so will play safe and take those. The dvd thing not worth taking a portable just know my DH would enjoy laying in bed early morn watching a movie on cold days at sea. Am sure he will survive! I think that the Cl may well have dvds to borrow although dont know what choice they have. Having also had the bad hair do scenario once I bought a US hair dryer as most of our travel is Caribbean. Will def play safe with the travel rollers dont want any more bad hair days!

PS! those nicky clarke rollers.- bought them last year at much dearer price they are currently available online from john lewis at 16.50 free delivery! If you have long hair and like big rollers they are a good travel option and bargain just now!

• 4 weeks later...

From the website RCCL FAQ :

Q: What electrical voltage is offered onboard?

A: North American standard, 110 volts AC is used on all of our ships. Outlet adapter is required for European standard. European standard (220 volts AC, round prongs).

Stateroom outlets can accommodate appliances up to 1500 watts.

I Oh and do our dvds work on their system? Any info on the set up on rci appreciated!
No in the UK we are region 2 DVD and the USA are region 1 so your DVDs will not work in their DVD players. The CL should have some you can borrow if you want. There is a movie channel on the TV anyway that shows films 24/7 - not new releases.

Archived