12 Day 12/21/08 - EOS Cruise - My Review

You are sooooo getting me ready to step aboard and know all I need to. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Do you know if the Windjammer does vegetable stir fry? Like chinese?

Thanks for the nice comments.

While I did not witness this first hand, the couple that we dined with in the dining room went there one evening (lobster tail night in the dining room as it turned out :() and they told us that there was a set up where you could pick the items that you wanted stir fried with noodles. They said that it was quite good.

Bon Voyage

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!

Great review.....loved reading it and look forward to more.....:)

Will you be reviewing any of the islands you visited????

Thanks for the kind words.

The islands are on the radar for the next day or two.

Bon Voyage

I have started my review of our Christmas/New Years cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. It is a work in progress on my website.

Bon Voyage

Thanks for the review, especially for writing about the TV service. I am with you, if it's there it should work properly.

For those of you anxiously waiting for the next installment, I have just finished a review of the dining room, Portofino and the entertainment.

I'm beginning to get a little punchy, so I'll be calling it a day. When I return tomorrow, I'll be covering the Ports of Call along with a description of what we did and what we saw.

BTW - I have added a "last updated" line to the review so you can quickly tell if you have already read the material.

Bon Voyage

Good review Rich. Some thoughts.

I too remember the Krooze Komics which we saw on the AOS in 2002. There was a watered down version on the Nav in 2004 and since then nada.

The ship was really bouncing around NYE. We were on the promenade at 1 AM when many people were sent sideways by a sudden lurch and jump and no, it wasn't sloshed women wearing high heels, quite a bump. We later went out on deck wearing full winter gear and the wind was fierce and the seas were rough. Our cabin was deck 10 and we heard the service carts in their storage room crashing around for hours. This was the worst we had ever experienced over 30 cruises.

RCI always has a greeter at the entrance to the WJ, our asst waiter had the job for 4 days. It had nothing to do with the Purell machines. They carry a little clicker and seem to be counting people entering, as well as answering questions et al.

Our anniversary was Christmas Eve (No. 38) so we are 3 ahead of you.

We saw Invitation to a Dance on the Indy TA in November, same prof. dance routines. I looked at my pics of both. I asked the stage manager about this program when we did our backstage tour the last day. He said that the only 3 ships carrying it are the Ex, Indy and the AOS and that there are no plans to add more ships at this time. We feel that the program has not worked out for RCI in that they have trouble getting people to enter the contests and then again some winners drop out because of the time required for rehearsals, fittings, etc. On a trip like the Ex where you hit an island a day, who wants to give up a day on the island? Even on the Indy with all the sea days they had trouble getting people to participate. Both on the Ex and Indy, "winners" dropped out and had to be replaced by runners up. If dancing is not your passion...........

Waiting for the rest.

Good review Rich. Some thoughts.

The ship was really bouncing around NYE. We were on the promenade at 1 AM when many people were sent sideways by a sudden lurch and jump and no, it wasn't sloshed women wearing high heels, quite a bump. We later went out on deck wearing full winter gear and the wind was fierce and the seas were rough. Our cabin was deck 10 and we heard the service carts in their storage room crashing around for hours. This was the worst we had ever experienced over 30 cruises. You see, I may be crazy, but I'm not nuts.

RCI always has a greeter at the entrance to the WJ, our asst waiter had the job for 4 days. It had nothing to do with the Purell machines. They carry a little clicker and seem to be counting people entering, as well as answering questions et al. Just my paranoia. When I went to the Promenade Cafe when we first boarded, the server refused to give me any cookies until I used the Purell.

Waiting for the rest. I will resume tomorrow

See my comments above

Bon Voyage

You are sooooo getting me ready to step aboard and know all I need to. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Do you know if the Windjammer does vegetable stir fry? Like chinese?

Just got off the EOS this morning, great cruise. YES, the windjammer has stir fry every evening as well as asian dishes (Island Grille) plus sushi every night on the starboard side Windjammer.

I have just completed my version of War and Peace (aka the review). I hope that you enjoy it and find some of the information helpful.

Until next time..

Bon Voyage

Great review and great pictures

I am sailing on the EOS on the 2/1/2009 cruise

Although I have sailed on the EOS previously, it was very informative to see it from someone else's perspective.

Thanks

I can speak for our trip anyway, ..It depends on your cabin steward. I booked four cabins on this last trip and everyone got the chocolates but us. Also not until the last couple of days did we get the towel animals but the others did. Our Cabin steward seemed to have a bit of an attitude.

I have started my review of our Christmas/New Years cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. It is a work in progress on my website.

Bon Voyage

A special note about RCTV - this system has to be among the worse that I have seen on a cruise ship. Their only live channels were Fox News (ugh) and ESPN. On occasion, we would get CNN.

What's wrong with Fox... It seems to me it's the only one without a bias.

Thanks

Great review! Thanks!

We had a good experience last week on our 9 day.

Everyday the Windjammer had someone handing out "wet wipes" to cleanse your hands before passing through into the dining area. The last three days they had automatic hand sanitizer dispensers. So It seems there was an issue. TIt also impacted the boarding proceedure and really slowed down embarkation because every person had to answer a short questionaire as to whether they were ill in the days preceeding the cruise and sign it.

The crew and especially in Johnny Rockets and the Dining area were fantastic and looked to really enjoy their job. Except our room steward. We arrived to snow on the ground this morning. Wow, what a change from the previous days.

Anyway, not trying to hijack this thread, great website!

Dumb question. Do we still get the little chocolate surprise on our pillows in the evening?

If you mean the square chocolates, yes. For some reason we did not get them the first night. The second night we had a double dose. The towel animals also appeared mid-cruise.

Bon Voyage

Archived