Fins for snorkling . . . are they really needed?

ladycaveat

The last time I was on a cruise to the Caribbean (September 2003), I brought my own mask and snorkle but because I don't own fins . . . I just used my water shoes/booties. Although on one tour in Cosumel, I did use fins provided by the tour. Maybe I just don't use them correctly but seem to feel a lot more comfortable in the water without them. Can anyone give me the Pros and Cons of using fins?

Pros are that you can go faster without too much effort. This isn't especially important when you're snorkeling off a boat, but when you're going off a beach, it is much easier to get through the surf and to your snorkeling sight with the assistance of fins. Off a boat, fins aren't necessary at all since you usually just plop into the water and start looking around.

If you aren't comfortable with them, don't use them.

It is much easier to 'cruise' around with fins, and if you do any dives down under the water, you can't get enough push with just your feet ..... with a pair of fins I've been able to get down to the sandy bottom and pick up shells, check out an eel, etc.

Just for info purposes, I use my fins on the islands, because you don't realize how far you go out, and then you have to get back in. That can be a problem if the current is against you.. I have had a tough time getting back in to shore on the few times I went snorkling without fins. Wears you out.......

I say, wear them.

In my humble opinion.........

I agree with szdiver, wear them. Many times we've snorkeled from a boat and found there was a current in the area. Not strong, but enough to push you away from the boat. It's much easier to swim back to the boat, or anywhere else for that matter, when you're wearing fins. I even dropped a fin overboard one time and watched as it began its own cruise, away from our boat. I was able to catch up with it using my other fin.

My wife and I ALWAYS take all of our own gear and have a special suitcase to carry it in.

To be honest, when I first snorkeled, I freaked out with fins. Didn't know how to use them, didn't know why they were recommended. And therefore, my snorkeling experience wasn't great.

Slowly I got accustomed to them. And then I started diving. And now I don't even like swimming in a swimming pool because I don't have my fins on :D They really help propel you around without much effort at all. I'd use them!

To be honest, when I first snorkeled, I freaked out with fins. Didn't know how to use them, didn't know why they were recommended. And therefore, my snorkeling experience wasn't great.

Slowly I got accustomed to them. And then I started diving. And now I don't even like swimming in a swimming pool because I don't have my fins on :D They really help propel you around without much effort at all. I'd use them!

EXACTLY!! Once you get used to them, there's no swimming/snorkeling/diving without them! Your feet feel too small to get you anywhere!

Hi!

I'm a diabetic and found that the fins could scratch my feet (the insides sometimes have little sharp edges) so I snorkel in watershoes. If snorkeling off a beach, yeah fins get you out to the reefs quicker and with less effort but hey I need the exercize ;)

I practically live in watershoes the whole cruise; I bring about a dozen (yep!) pair for a 7 day cruise so my feet aren't always wet....of course take them off for formal nites but otherwise, I find them so comfy!!!!

Hi!

I'm a diabetic and found that the fins could scratch my feet (the insides sometimes have little sharp edges) so I snorkel in watershoes. If snorkeling off a beach, yeah fins get you out to the reefs quicker and with less effort but hey I need the exercize ;)

I practically live in watershoes the whole cruise; I bring about a dozen (yep!) pair for a 7 day cruise so my feet aren't always wet....of course take them off for formal nites but otherwise, I find them so comfy!!!!

You might want to try fins with dive booties rather than full foot fins .... that way you'd get the benifit of a fin, and your foot would be protected by the bootie and you can still take the fins off and walk across the rocks or beach no problem!:D

Been a diver for 20 years now, DH even longer, and also snorkel when the sites are easy to reach. To me, snorkeling is much more work than diving and I cannot any longer imagine snorkeling without fins. I have done so but it is about 4 times the work and you don't get nearly as much ground covered without fins. My personal vote is Yes--mask, snorkel, fins. The three personal diving items that every diver and avid snorkeler owns.

Maybe I just don't use them correctly but seem to feel a lot more comfortable in the water without them. Can anyone give me the Pros and Cons of using fins?

Did you do breast stroke with fins? It's the mistake I see all the time with beginners with fins. It won't work. Kicking too hard is another problem. Just moving them up and down gently while keeping them underwater will give you more than enough power. I always use fins while snorkeling. As far as I'm concerned, it's a safety issue. I don't want to be caught out too far or swimming against the current without fins.

I use my daughter's old dive fins which come with booties, and they are great. I can walk on hot sand with my booties with no problem, and the dive fins are so powerful, much more than I need, but hey, I know I can get out of any tight spot with powerful fins.

Just for info purposes, I use my fins on the islands, because you don't realize how far you go out, and then you have to get back in. That can be a problem if the current is against you.. I have had a tough time getting back in to shore on the few times I went snorkling without fins. Wears you out.......
I have to agree with szdiver, I went out in Cozumel without fins because I was just trying out my new mask. By the time I pulled my head out of the water I was halfway to Cuba. The current will take you out without you even being too aware of it. Makes for a long swim in. My suggestion is to go to a dive shop and try several different pairs of fins to see if you can find some that are a little more comfortable. Another tip (that I got off of Cruise Critics) is to wear a pair of golf socks with your fins ... they kind of pad your foot and the fins won't rub as much.

If you're snorkling off the beach in water no deeper than you can stand up in then fins/no fins is personal preference.

But, as the last few posters have pointed out, if you're snorkling in deep water, fins are important safety equipment (as are masks, snorkles and bouyancy vests). Snorkling's really no different than diving in that respect--you're in an environment that your body is completely unadapted to and dependent upon a life-support system. Your breathing (snorkle), vision (mask), propulsion (fins) and bouyancy (vest and fins) systems are no longer taken for granted as they are on land. If you find yourself surfacing a half-mile from the boat with a mask full of water, no fins and no vest, it's not only going to be uncomfortable but in danger!

Plus, it's so much more comfortable to have your own gear. If you snorkle even once every couple years having a mask and fins that fit and a snorkle you know hasn't been in a mouth other than yours is comforting. Go ahead and rent the vest--they're expensive and a precise fit isn't important. But make sure you test it before getting into the water! I've had a vest with faulty inflation tubes that I discovered too late! Fortunately the day was calm and I'm an experienced diver, a strong swimmer and naturally bouyant so no harm was done.

Kathi

I'm a certified diver but snorkled for years before that. I've tried it both ways and would never get in the water with a mask and snorlke without fins. You go faster, see more stuff, cover more distance, and there is an important safety factor: if you're going off a boat, there can be some pretty strong currents. Without fins, you won't be able to swim against it.

What's this vest that everybody seem to be buying? I've never owned one, and when I'm forced to wear one on an excursion, I consider it a nuicence. While snorkeling I wear thin wetsuit to keep warm which also protect my back from sun, and it gives more than enough bouyancy. Wetsuit makes it difficult to dive as a matter of fact.

I have snorkled for years, and bought vests this year for the wife and I, as we were going to do many shore-based snorkles on this cruise, and I wanted them for safety. On boat excursions, there is always someone looking out for you, be it a guide or the boat captain.

Anyway, found them for $26 ea online, and figured they were work that at least. We used them and really didnt noticed we had them on. My wife really liked hers as she was able to inflate it when she wanted to clear her mask, adjust things or take a break. For me, I found it easier to simply tread water for a moment then go back at it. But it was good to know I had it in case the current picked me up or I simply got out too far.

• 2 weeks later...

i'd say definitely go to a dive shop and try them on - even if you don't buy them there! I'm an 8.5 shoe myself and take a medium (my feet are kind of narrow) -- the large moved around too much and when they get wet they get looser so you want to make sure they are comfortably snug (not cutting off the circulation but not so loose you could slip them off without unzipping) and since everyone has different sized feet - despite being same shoe size -- better to try them on and feel comfy then to get something too small or too big and be worrying about them the whole time instead of enjoying yourself!!

have fun!:D

• 3 weeks later...

ditto to all the pro fin comments... especially the safety factor.

Another thing that I found, that without a good kick with fins... you'll never get to those "hard to reach" places down below...

I was on a wreck off the dry tortugas, in about 25' ... and without fins... I wouldn't have been able to get down to explore it.

just my .02

Archived