On-Board Payment Options

commander courageous

We depart aboard Azamara Journey on February 12.

Having just received our cruise documents electronically, I note we have the option of having our

on-board charges, that will be billed in US dollars, converted by Azamara to the currency of my

card which is Canadian Dollars, OR have my credit card company do the conversion when

the charges are received.

Am I not better leaving the conversion to the credit card company and NOT participating in the

Azamara program.

Opinions of anyone with experience here are appreciated.

absolutely we never let them do the conversion, we are lucky we have a card that gives a fee free conversion which is unusual in the UK. Even with a fee the deal will be better than the cruise line applied

We always choose the option of having it billed in U.S.$ and having our CC do the conversion... it eliminates any unpleasant surprises re conversion rates. I usually highlight the option that I've chosen, and keep a photocopy for my own records. So far we haven't had any problems, but that's not the case with many who have posted on the Celebrity board (and a few here) who have had the charges converted by the cruise lines, despite requesting otherwise.

I have to agree with everyone else. Your credit card is likely to have the better fx rate. However, to be certain, check the conversion charge both Azamara and your credit card company use. I have not yet checked Azamara but Celebrity published their charge in the small print on their website and your credit card company sould do the same.

The difference will be small but if your onboard bills are as high as our, it is worth checking.

Of course, with fx rates being so volitile at the moment, it could still be a gamble. The rate could change sufficiently in the day or two delay between the two charges being applied to negate your best efforts at getting the best rate but that's life and there is nothing you can do about that.

Sue

Having just received our cruise documents electronically, I note we have the option of having our

on-board charges, that will be billed in US dollars, converted by Azamara to the currency of my

card which is Canadian Dollars, OR have my credit card company do the conversion when

Am I not better leaving the conversion to the credit card company and NOT participating in the

Azamara program.

I agree with what others have said here. Have the bill go to your credit card in U.S. funds, and your credit card will convert them to Canadian dollars. I also agree that it is not a sure thing even if you check the box with those instructions. I have had a few problems...:mad:

By the way we are on the Feb. 12th sailing also. And there is a roll call where a lot of discussions are held regarding excursions, etc. Please visit the following site and register for the Connections party. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=783027 :)

Gerry

Azamara program.

It should be noted that, at least for US-issued cards, they bear a forex conversion fee that is often buried in the exchange rate.

Visa and MC charge a mandatory 1%, and the card issuer (the bank) usually adds another 1-3% to total 2-4% in relatively hidden charges. And Amex fees total 3%, I believe. So compared to cash, you get a more competitive exchange rate and convenience but it is then loaded with a few % of fees. Details on this can be found here: http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20050624b1.asp

Capital One is a rare exception where they only pass along the required 1%, so we prefer it when overseas.

Of course, if Azamara does the currency conversion it is quite likely they'll look to make some money on the exchange, too.

Not sure if the same applies for Canadian cards, but good to be aware for those with US cards making purchases in foreign currencies.

Archived