Oosterdam update Nov 15 Cruise

Seacruise

Well I had posted when I returned the many changes noted on the Oosterdam when I did the Nov 15th cruise to Mexico.

I have received a response from Ms. Ferris the Special Advisor to the President of HAL.

I had found out on board that Cabin Stewards on board would be paired up and have between 24-28 cabins. I have been advised this was incorrect and Cabin Stewards have 32 Cabins. I am told they had 15 cabins prior to this when they were alone and now it has been increased slightly.

It is indicated that HAL is moving to a Hotel Based (Land) based operation for it's ships. Thus the increases in table size for the Dinning Room as well as the change to Cabin Stewards (or should I now call them Maids :rolleyes: ).

This would explain the Tipping make up now. I found out that the tipping make up is 4-4-3 meaning 4 to the Cabin Stewards and 4 to the Dinning Room Stewards and then 3 to all the rest including Maitre'd, Section Steward, Cooks, Dish Washers, Cleaners etc.

I know tipping is a hot item but it appears now we are paying more toward others we did not tip in the past and less to those we use more.

So things being changed to a land based operation may also explain the loss of trays in the Lido as well. Mind you I thought this was a positive move.

I can see we will see more changes in the next time as this policy is rolled out even further.

The days of cruises being different than land based hotels appears to be coming to an end. I have cruised for 25+ years and what drew me to cruising was it was very different to the land based holiday.

It appears changes are coming to a HAL ship next time you sail on one.

Phil

Tips have been pooled on cruise ships for 50 years. We just did not know what went on behind the scenes.

Pooling of tips or " tipping out" is common in most land based restuarants. Most diners are not aware of this.

No one knows better than a mass market cruise line that most passengers want an affordable vacation. The cost of cruising in the majority of cabins has not kept pace with the cost of living.

Since most passengers are not willing to pay substantially more, the cruise lines do more to trim their internal costs and modify service levels to survive.

And yet, the in cabin appointments, especially on HAL, have never been better than they are today.

I wish Obama would bring in CCL and RCL as advisors to cut the fat and still provide an affordable outcome.

Archived