Will the Mouse be visiting Fun Ship Freddy?

Mikel1733

Carnival shareholders may be interested to learn that Doug Kass of the Street.com has posted his 20 surprises of 2009 and one of the surprises is that Disney will buy out Carnival. Kass stated 60% of his 20 surprises of 2008 were substantially correct. Time will tell I guess.

Carnival shareholders may be interested to learn that Doug Kass of the Street.com has posted his 20 surprises of 2009 and one of the surprises is that Disney will buy out Carnival. Kass stated 60% of his 20 surprises of 2008 were substantially correct. Time will tell I guess.

That could be very interesting, Disney's fleet would grow exponentially.

If also find it interesting to look at what his "surprises" for 2008 were and which ones were true http://bigpicture.*****.com/comments/2007/12/possible-improb.html

The others for this year are interesting as well though I certainly hope that this is not the case. "The New York Yankees are undefeated in the 2009 season." I find that highly unlikely anyway...

http://clusterstock.alleyinsider.com/2008/12/doug-kasss-20-surprises-of-2009

The Mouse better have a lot of money!

You mean the mouse better have a lot of CHEESE!!

I hope this isn't true, because honestly, if I wanted to take a Disney cruise, I'd book one. All I know is that I have never sailed Disney because their ships have no gambling...I hope they wouldn't try to adopt that policy to Carnival as well.... :mad:

Does anybody know how many ships are owned by Carnival Corporation (including Costa, HAL, Princess, Cunard, etc)?

Total - 88 ships (with 18 more under contract by 2012)

Total Lower Berths - 160,000 (approx)

Carnival Cruise Line - 23

Princess Cruises - 18

Holland America Line - 14

Cunard - 2

Seabourn - 3

P&O Cruises - 6

Ocean Village - 2

AIDA Cruises - 5

Costa Cruises - 12

I doubt Disney would buy Carnival Corp. But they might go back to a partnetship like the Big Red Boat days. That would be a sign that Disney doesn't want to foot the bill for the 2 new ships. Not sure if Meyer Werft has started construction or not.

I hope this isn't true, because honestly, if I wanted to take a Disney cruise, I'd book one. All I know is that I have never sailed Disney because their ships have no gambling...I hope they wouldn't try to adopt that policy to Carnival as well.... :mad:

Carnival owns Holland America... and I dont see any top hats and tiaras on any CCL ship LOL

The Mouse better have a lot of money!

Yeah ... we were discussing this at work, actually ... and unless they're racking up some major loans (from where, no one seems to know) to back such an acquisition there's no way on God's green earth they could swing that, considering how their own value wouldn't support such an acquisition, especially in a weak economy where they are repositioning their own brand. And if I'm not mistaken, they bet big on Macao and that's cooling off in the face of the collapse of the banking industry in the BRIC countries ...

I hope this isn't true, because honestly, if I wanted to take a Disney cruise, I'd book one. All I know is that I have never sailed Disney because their ships have no gambling...I hope they wouldn't try to adopt that policy to Carnival a:mad:s well....

The Disney Miramax studio makes "R" rated movies so I doubt they would take away gambling.....to do so would just be plain Goofy! :p

If I remember right Disney is getting their two new ships in the 2012/2013 time frame.

Disney does not have the cash to buy Carnival. Possibly a partnership of some sort, but an outright buy seems like a long shot.

I don't think construction has started yet. As of last September they were still in the "design" stages (see http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=3&subs=0&did=1463 ). So if DCL is getting cold feet, now would actually be the time to bail out.

Also, before Disney had their own 2 ships, they had a 10 year (?) partnership deal with Premier (ie The Big Red Boat) to be the "Exclusive Cruise Line of Walt Disney". I actually went on one of those Cruise / WDW combo vacations back in 1988.

Anyway, it's far more likely that Disney divests DCL, which is currently part of the Parks and Resorts Division, and lets Carnival run it. Or alternatively Carnival could sell DCL some of their older ships to be retrofit as DCL ships.

Either way, as others have said, it's unlikely that Disney could afford Carnival outright.

WTH does substantially correct mean?

LMAO

:rolleyes:

What Carnival has done as they acquired lines is apply their very rigid and successful cost controls to the new lines. NOT cost cutting, cost control. Other than that they have left the sister lines keep their established identities. Disney has a strong tendency to "Disnefy" everything. Kinda doubt the world is ready for 90 MouseShips. Even if they followed CCL's example and kept the present identities, would it fly? Neither the US Gov. nor the European Union will allow CCL to acquire any more of the cruise industry. Would they allow Disney more leeway?

Dan

He can put this one in the column of things that wont happen in 2009.

Even if Disney had the money, antitrust regulations wouldnt allow it.

This makes no sense - they allow Carnival to be the parent co of all those other cruise lines but not Disney because of anti trust?

I personally hope this does not happen. Really did not like my Disney cruise - mediocre Disney experience and poor cruise experience!

What Carnival has done as they acquired lines is apply their very rigid and successful cost controls to the new lines. NOT cost cutting, cost control. Other than that they have left the sister lines keep their established identities. Disney has a strong tendency to "Disnefy" everything. Kinda doubt the world is ready for 90 MouseShips. Even if they followed CCL's example and kept the present identities, would it fly? Neither the US Gov. nor the European Union will allow CCL to acquire any more of the cruise industry. Would they allow Disney more leeway?

Dan

This makes no sense - they allow Carnival to be the parent co of all those other cruise lines but not Disney because of anti trust?

I personally hope this does not happen. Really did not like my Disney cruise - mediocre Disney experience and poor cruise experience!

see post above.

;)

Carnival's last acquisition was Princess, P&O a European homed company. It was a considerable court battle to get approval in Europe and approval would have been unlikely in the US. RCL was adamantly opposed to that purchase and fought it hard. Can't imagine they would sit by and watch Dis/CCL go forward. Unless RCL just doesn't have the funds to fight again.

But too, Who has any clue what business insanity our government might do next.

Dan

I doubt the DOJ or SEC would bat an eye, considering NCL and Royal Caribbean is still hanging out there. They might have a perfunctory hearing on such a merger, but it would ultimately pass.

The entire this is moot, because its just not going to happen.

But

This is a quote from Micky..... Arison, they barely got the last acquisition passed...because there were still other major players in the market, the govt allowed it.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=60210244.blog

In a conference call Thursday with executives at industry giant Carnival Corp. -- widely viewed as the cruise world's strongest player --analysts pressed executives on the issue. Specifically, they want to know if Carnival will be a buyer if one of the industry's weaker players stumbles.

The answer from Carnival Chairman and CEO Micky Arison: We won't rule it out.

"Obviously from an antitrust point of view there's not a whole lot that we can do," Arison reminded the analysts during the conference call to discuss the company's fourth quarter earnings. "But like post-Sept. 11, sometimes opportunities avail themselves that you're not expecting, and we'll be diligent about that as time progresses."

I highly doubt the DoJ would have much to say about a corporation who runs two ships buying a much larger corporation.... there isn't much anti-trust involved there.

Exactly. I mean, Disney operates what? 2 ships right now with a couple more on order? That's a very small percentage of the market share. DOJ would definitely have something to say if CCL was trying to acquire NCL or RCI as they operate more ships with more lines and would significantly impact the competition within the market.

Disney corporation is one of the largest entertainment corporations in the world. It is number 2 behind Time Warner on the Fortune 500 for entertinment companies and number 67 overall. In 2007 it had revenues of over $35 billion. Disney may only have 2 cruise ships but it is much larger than Carnival Corporation. Disney could buy Carnival. I find it unlikely in todays credit market but not impossible.

IF Disney were to buy Carnival, it would not be to turn all of the ships in the various fleets into Disney-themed cruise ships. There is no WAY there would be enough market for such a thing. If there were that sort of demand, they would have expanded their own fleet a long time ago. No, if they buy it, I imagine it would be essentially under it's own brand as an investment. For the consumer, the product would probably remain largely the same.

Still, I doubt it will happen under any parameters.

Archived