Equipment?

thisisjl

To snorkling do you need to bring your own equipment or do most popular snorkling areas/beaches what ever have equipment to rent? IF so is it sanitary and what type of cost? If I should bring my own seriously don't laugh but should I get special stuff or just a cheap snorkling set that you can get at Target or Walmart or whatever? I've never been snorkling but have always wanted to try but not sure what I need to do.

ok,

This will be my first time to snorkel as well. From what I have gathered, most places that allow snorkeling also rent gear for around $10. I went to a dive shop because I was concerned about 2 things:

1. I needed a mask with a good seal so that it would not flood. I wear contacts and I dont want to lose them. The dive shop was very helpful in fitting me with a mask.

2. Sanitary reasons. I don't want to put in my mouth what someone else had taken out of theirs. I know that they 'sanitize' them (and I have never heard of anyone getting sick), but I am still wary (my mom was a lab tech). From what the dive shop told me is that there are 2 kinds of snorkels, dry and wet. The dry snorkel closes when you go underwater so that you don't have to clear it when you come up for air (by blowing the water out). The wet snorkel is just open and you have to clear it if you go under. The dive shop guy said that within those groups, a snorkel is a snorkel...so, my advice is to get a cheap dry snorkel.

I ended up spending around $70 for mask and snorkel.

My wife does not have corrective lenses, but she does have the same feeling about a rented snorkel. She is just going to go to Academy Sports/ Walmart to go pick up a dry snorkel and rent the mask.

Good luck!

-jeff

I think it is totally worth having your own stuff. Not only more sanitary but usually the stuff they rent sucks. I bought my set at Costco. It was around $50 and I've used it quite a few times. Usually rentals cost around $10.

Sanitary? Yeah, sure they santize their mask/snorkels. :rolleyes: I've been on a number of snorkel excursions and when you get close to the site, typically a crew member goes into a hold and starts handing out masks and snorkels. When people get done, they give them all a quick rinse in a bucket (using the same water over and over) then throw them back in the hold. I bring my own stuff. :)

Randall

I think it is totally worth having your own stuff. Not only more sanitary but usually the stuff they rent sucks. I bought my set at Costco. It was around $50 and I've used it quite a few times. Usually rentals cost around $10.

My husband bought a couple of sets at Costco tonight - made by Body Glove. Anyone use this brand - what kind of quality?

We are a snorkling family of five. A few years ago we picked up a great mesh duffle bag for our equipment (bought it at a dive shop). We check it thru as special baggage and put it on the balcony of any hotel or ship we are on to dry after each use. Always rinse your equipment in fresh water for longer life.

It is a great thing to do for all ages, at the same time. Like skis and skates, it can be passed down to the younger ones. The body glove equipment at Costco is a great value. Try it on at home before you go and make sure you have a good seal on the mask.

Years ago when we did our first cruise (10 years ago) I hired a swim instructor for 1 hr (35$) for all three kids ( Under 8) to spend some time in our neighborhood pool to help them get used to the equipment before we went. She got them comfortable with mask and snorkel clearing, the different feel of the fins etc. It was a great start. They were so great by the time they hit the beach, they couldn't wait.

Good luck, we love it!

If you can afford it, definitely buy your own! It's a great pastime and you'll get lots of use as you'll probably fall in love with it! It's important to have a good mask fit, sometimes difficult to get if you're a woman with a narrow face.

We in the dive industry have another name for "dry" snorkels...it's "useless". A dry snorkel will eventually fail, then you get to buy a new "wet" one. A quick snorkeling lesson for you (I should really be charging people for this little tidbit)...breathe out before you breathe in. There, now you know how to clear a snorkel.

Seriously, though...get your own stuff. Go to a dive shop and try on masks until you find one that fits. Get an extra strap to replace the one that eventually breaks.

As for the lesson, I was referring to three kids under eight, so they were comfortable in the water and it would make it easier for all of us. My kids were diving to the bottom etc on thier first trip out because of the lesson.

Not a harm to try your equipment in a pool before you go (adults and children alike, if you are a beginner), a little experience when you can touch bottom goes a long way to building confidence when you can't touch bottom or swim to shore (off a boat)

totally endorse the "buy your own stuff" You know it fits and is clean.

Archived