Dividing a large cabin - tips?

European_CruiseGirl

Hi all, would anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to divide a large cabin (so that when the child(ren) are sleaping the adults can have some nice conversations etc)?

We are sailing on HAL on May with our (then) 10,5 month old DD and have booked a suite that is a bit over 500 sq feet (verandah incl) but does not have a separate bedroom. At least at the moment our DD is a good sleeper. We have a master bedroom at home which is L -shaped and she sleeps in the same room with us but at the other end of the room. We can have a quiet conversation or even have the TV on at the same room where she sleeps and she won't be disturbed. But....to get her to sleep with any kind of movement around is a definite no no and also when she periodically wakes up later in the evening just to check that everything is alright there has to be no movement (or us) to be seen or she wakes up completely.

So I guess we have a problem with our cabin... We are now wondering with DH on how to "divide" the large cabin so that DD would not get direct eye contact with us when she wakes up. Of course we can use the verandah but it would be also nice to just sit at the sofa etc. I'll post the cabin configuration here if it would help (we have thought of putting DD's travel bed next to ours on either side).

img_deluxe_ver.jpg

Hi all, would anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to divide a large cabin (so that when the child(ren) are sleaping the adults can have some nice conversations etc)?

We are sailing on HAL on May with our (then) 10,5 month old DD and have booked a suite that is a bit over 500 sq feet (verandah incl) but does not have a separate bedroom. At least at the moment our DD is a good sleeper. We have a master bedroom at home which is L -shaped and she sleeps in the same room with us but at the other end of the room. We can have a quiet conversation or even have the TV on at the same room where she sleeps and she won't be disturbed. But....to get her to sleep with any kind of movement around is a definite no no and also when she periodically wakes up later in the evening just to check that everything is alright there has to be no movement (or us) to be seen or she wakes up completely.

So I guess we have a problem with our cabin... We are now wondering with DH on how to "divide" the large cabin so that DD would not get direct eye contact with us when she wakes up. Of course we can use the verandah but it would be also nice to just sit at the sofa etc. I'll post the cabin configuration here if it would help (we have thought of putting DD's travel bed next to ours on either side).

img_deluxe_ver.jpg

The only thing that I would suggest is putting the sofa at the foot of your bed, facing away from the bed.

My grandma lives in a small 2 bedroom house. When our son was younger and we would go visit her, he would sleep in her closet, which was about the size of his pack-n-play and we would sleep in her bedroom. He didn't care where he slept so if the closet is big enough, I don't see why not. A funny aside- we are expecting and the other day he asked if his baby sister will get to sleep in grandma's closet when we go to visit. It made me laugh because it sounds horriable, but if it works...

You know....we have thought about it.... :D:D:D

I've heard of people doing that on Princess ships--they have a sort of walk in closet area in their cabins, and people will set up the crib in there because there's plenty of room for it (and not a lot of space for a crib anywhere else in the cabin, actually). I guess when you get onboard, you could see if that would work?

Another idea: Drape a blanket across the side of the pack'n'play that she would be looking out of to be able to see you when she wakes up. Then hopefully she can't see you and she goes back to sleep?

We've taken a tarp and some suction cup hooks to hang it up with. The cabin walls were smooth enough for the suction cups to work, so we split the room in 2 with the tarp -- prevented eye contact and some light from getting through. Only problem was the rustling it made when we passed through it to get to the bathroom.

Good luck!! I love the closet idea, actually!

Along with the idea of suction cups and tarps, keep in mind that the cabin walls are all magnetic! We learned this on a recent cruise and it was great! We would use magnets to hang stuff on the walls, put up a schedule, leave notes, etc. If you brought a stronger magnet you could use that to hang a tarp as well!

As I recall from enjoying that exact same layout suite - there is a curtain by the doorway.

It is usally held back by the wall. But it allows a private entry area. Iit can be unfurled in kind of a semi-circular fashion - that leaves roomf or the door to be opened. That would seem to be a good place to put the child's portable bed. Be sure to double-lock the door - so the cabin steward doesn't inadvertently open it if she is still sleeping late in the morning ... That location would allow you access to both the dressing area

and bathroom when she is sleeping.

We used to draw that curtain when we were waiting for room service breakfast - so we could open the door at our convenience - but people walking by could not see in.

Otherwise, the dressing area would seem like a good alternative. There was

a ottoman by the small sink that could be removed - which would provide

extra space. There was also a curtain that could be drawn to close off

the dressing area from the main cabin.

I just sailed in the same exact type cabin on Zuiderdam this summer. The room is quite spacious. You say your daughter is 5 months old but will be 9 months old by the sailing and able to stand up in the crib. Oh boy, they do change with each month. It might be hard to predict how she will do.

You have the balcony and I suspect if you sit out there- she'll settle down. Your older child will probably be in the youth program with the kids- so that shouldn't pose a problem.

As for where the crib should go? I think it will have to go between the bed and the wall where the tv is. This way you won't be tripping over it. One of the great things about this cabin is you do have a DVD player- so be sure and bring some of the videos your children like from home. We loved watching our King of Queens DVDs in Venice, Greece and Turkey!

I'd definately try a dark shower curtain instead of a tarp - shower curtains already have holes for hanging, too. :)

When we travel, I just sit out on my deck while my little one gets down to sleep. In hotels with no patio or when the weather is cold, I've been known to sit in the bathroom while she falls asleep, which with my child who avoids sleep at all costs, sometimes takes quite awhile. But the deck is the perfect place to relax with a drink for awhile, until your child is soundly asleep, imo.

If you do decide to use a closet, check very very carefully for any hazards, light fixtures, cords, anything that could be an electrical or strangulaton hazzard. I know people who put kids in pack and plays in the bathroom when they travel but there is no way I would EVER leave my child unattended in a bathroom. Mine is a climber and a bit of a houdini and even at a very young age, the walls of a pack n play were no deterrent to escape. So please please please be cautious with closets or bathrooms!

Why would anyone put there child in the bathroom- does that mean none of you are going to have to use the bathroom, brush your teeth, get a drink of water? The bathroom is the noisiest place in the room.

In my experience, your child will nap better in a comforting place. The cold unfamiliar bathroom would be a problem. Most kids relax to music- bring some cds from home and a cd player. Get you child started on bedtime music right away. My son is 8 and still goes to bed with a foot massage and sleepy music. It works like a charm. They are relaxed and asleep in no time.

Face it, vacations are going to disrupt your child's sleep patterns in general- the closer you can make it to feeling like home the better.

to hang the tarp/sheet/shower curtain how about command hooks to hang it...you just need to put it up and let them set for an hour (carry them on and put them one when you board and head to lunch) and they pull of so easily!

Archived