Traveling with minors on Carnival Fascination

Help! I'm starting to freak out about this. I am traveling with my 2 sons, ages 16 and 11, and my niece and a friend, both 18. I am the only person in our party over the age of 25. We have been booked in 2 separate rooms right next to each other, but not connecting. I have spoken to 2 separate Carnival customer service reps who say there is no problem with this, but the Carnival website clearly states that you must have an adult who is at least the age of 25 booked in the room with minors with absolutely no exceptions. Has anyone ever been in this situation? If so, please help me to feel better about this. I've read horror stories about things like this, and I don't want to get to port and find out that we can't go and can't get a refund.

I'm pretty sure that you're ok when they're family members. Not 100% sure about the niece and her friend being booked in a separate cabin, though. You often have to book to get the "family" thing right, then rearrange once you board to get the people you want in the cabin where you want them.

You probably should have a "release" for the niece and friend, as you aren't the custodial parent.

I'm sure this comes up frequently on the "family cruising" board. It's just DD & I (she was 15 when we started cruising) and I never had any issues (dad not around), but when I took her and her bff for their high-school graduation, I had her friend's parents write a letter. The wording is pretty easily found (I'm sure someone on the Family board can provide it).

Depending on who's checking you in at the terminal, you could have a problem---some are real tough on the rules. While they look the other way for related minors in their own cabin, when you're dealing with kids who are not your own, it makes a huge difference. You could, and I mean could, be denied boarding because the kids in their own cabin are not your children. Cruise lines started doing this because teens were getting into trouble on ships, damaging cabins, drinking alcohol and just getting into trouble.

You also need notarized letters from every parent, even if they are divorced, giving you permission to take the child out of the country, and giving you permission to make emergency decisions for the kids. If you don't have these letters, you will be denied boarding.

Book your sons and/or your niece into an adjacent cabin, the unrelated friend must be booked with you. Bring proof that your niece is, in fact, your niece. Then bring along a copy of this page:

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:eqCMsBfEGvIJ:dsny-sal.com/Documents/CVP_Minor_Guidelines_Form.doc+minor+guest+policy+carnival+cruise&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us

Make sure the cabins meet the adjacent definition.

Archived