A little advice for those planning stingray tours

luvmyjewels

We had planned and looked forward to a snorkel and stingray excursion during our stop in GC last month. Unfortunately, the water was too rough the day we arrived and Stingray City was closed.

My one piece of advice for those planning to do the stingray tours is have a back up plan in case your tour gets canceled. I didn't do this, and was stuck trying to make a last minute decision on what to do in GC. We ended up catching a tour of Hell and the turtle farm, which was OK but not really worth the money (around $120 for the six of us). After that we went to Margaritaville, which was really a let down. Had I planned ahead of time, I know I would have had a better back up plan on what to do.

We went to the Cayman's in December on Mariner of the Seas. It was choppy and all of the group tours booked through the ship were cancelled. My wife and daughter had never snorkled before so I booked a private snorkel and Stingray city tour through Outrage Stingray City Eco Tour. We were the only boat at Stingray City. The Captain was awesome and we had a great time. it was a little wavy but I didn't think it was a problem. We also had an excellent snorkel excursion and a trip to starfish beach. We booked a half day tour and had to pay twice the price of the ship's tour but I have to say it was worth every penny. The personal detail of the tour, the captain's extensive knowledge of the area and sealife, and the flexibility of a private vendor saved our time at Cayman and made it an

experience we will always remember.

OP here. We had booked our tour with Stingray Sailing. The owner's wife (Michelle?) met us and informed us that Stingray City was closed. I heard her say that some other private companies were still going out, but Stingray sailing did not want to jeopardize anyone's safety by going out that day. She also said that unless you were a really strong swimmer, it was not a good idea to go when it was that rough. (We had our 3 young kids with us, so we never considered trying to go with one of the other boats).

Michelle was very helpful and she gave us some recommendations on other things that we could do. It just was a shock to get there in the middle of chaos (several ships were in port that day) and try to figure out what's next? In hindsight, I wish we had just caught a taxi to 7 mile beach and played in the sand for the day.

Stingray Sailing made the right decision. If Stingray City is closed, it's closed to everyone. That's the law. If an operator (or individual) chooses to go anyway, and gets caught, they can be fined. There was an article in the paper over the holidays about two operators who were fined for repeatedly ignoring closures.

And, if the marine authority has closed Stingray City, it's because it's too dangerous to be out there due to the weather or wave conditions. They don't make that decision lightly. Personally, I would be leery of any operator who ignores the closure and shows that kind of disregard for my safety (and the safety of the stingrays). After all, it's the open ocean, not someone's tame little swimming pool...

We had an excursion booked with Moby Dick tours. When we arrived, we heard that the ship's stingray city tour was cancelled do to rough seas. When we got off the ship, our tour was nowhere to be found...not even to tell us it was cancelled. There was a tour booth next to the dock and they said to check back later and they would be able to tell us if any tours would be allowed to go out. A few hours later, the seas had calmed and we went out with Nativeway. It was a good tour but the seas were still somewhat rough. I was a little unnerved because when I got knocked over, I was afraid I would stand up on a ray's tail:eek: But that is just me...LOL! The snorkeling part didn't happen because the seas were still too rough....they only charged us half. Was a nice time, but I wouldn't do it again in rougher water...

I completly agree that a back up plan is needed. Like what happaned to you happaned to us in December. we had reservations with Moby Dick tours and got a refund but was left to figure out what were we going to do on this beutiful Island on our beutiful vacation. It was very fusturating and felt like we were wasting time trying to figure out what to do. Since time was ticking the only thing we could do was go back to the Moby Dick tours and they were arranging to take a few people to tour the rum factory, turtle farm and Hell.. it was fifty dollars per person but at least we were doing something! Not worth it!! very disapointed..my DH also felt that the tour guild which happans to be the owner of Moby Dick tours was a smart a__ jerk.. I wished we could have done the sting ray tour, that was supposed to be one of the highlights of our vacation. So with that said, have a back up plan!! And I don't recommend the turtle farm or the rum factory but that is just my opinion!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the "back up plans" advice, I gues I had never thought of it. This is our third cruise and so far haven't come up against any cancellations but will try to at least think it through now. Our first time to the Caymans my husband and I did the tour, including Hell and the turtle farm, etc. We enjoyed it but neither of us are that adventuresome. Case in point, this cruise my brother and I have the stingray snorkeling booked with Capt. Marvin, but my husband is not going! Although he wants to parasail, which to me is a little scarier than the stingrays!

It sure is great to get on these boards and read all the advice and experiences of other cruisers. At least then you can sort through it all and decide what is helpful and what isn't! Wish I had found this place before...

Carnival Valor, February 15th, yeah!!:)

Good idea- did the excursion you were supposed to be on simply cancel? They didn't have a Plan B for those who had booked? I'm having trouble enough with Plan A!

Having problems with problem A myself. I did a spread sheet of all the stingray city companys. Biggest thing to think through is we have GD's ages 4 and 9 mo. The ship doesn't allow those under 5 to go . We want to make sure they can be with us.

I wonder at what point did you find out they were closed. I assume there was someone there with a sign stating the fact.

Are there certain times of year where rough seas are more common in Grand Cayman? We will be there in late April and are wondering whether it will be much of a problem then, or is it more the winter months?

I was wondering the same thing.....we are going to be there March 30th of this year and are planning to do the stingray tour and sure hope that it all goes off as planned! This will be our first time and we are all looking forward to it!! :)

Are there certain times of year where rough seas are more common in Grand Cayman? We will be there in late April and are wondering whether it will be much of a problem then, or is it more the winter months?

I was wondering the same thing.....we are going to be there March 30th of this year and are planning to do the stingray tour and sure hope that it all goes off as planned! This will be our first time and we are all looking forward to it!! :)

While this won't give you a projection more than a week out, it is an interesting little tool to get an idea of how the seas will be in the areas that you will be going...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=901887&goto=newpost

• 3 months later...
We had planned and looked forward to a snorkel and stingray excursion during our stop in GC last month. Unfortunately, the water was too rough the day we arrived and Stingray City was closed.

My one piece of advice for those planning to do the stingray tours is have a back up plan in case your tour gets canceled. I didn't do this, and was stuck trying to make a last minute decision on what to do in GC. We ended up catching a tour of Hell and the turtle farm, which was OK but not really worth the money (around $120 for the six of us). After that we went to Margaritaville, which was really a let down. Had I planned ahead of time, I know I would have had a better back up plan on what to do.

This happened to us back in Dec. We planned our day there a couple of months before we left on our cruise and we decided to go w/Moby Dick tours. When our boat tendered we came accross one of moby dick tours representatives and was informed that due to the rough waters all water activites were cancelled! I was soo upset!! I really wanted to swim w/the sting rays. Luckly, the young lady was able to point out other excursions & I remembered other excursions that ppl have mentioned on cc. So we decided to do some shopping, snorkel at Eden Rock, & go to 7 mile beach. It ended up being a great day for us! So having a back up plan is a good idea!

Archived