Returning to Princess...disappointment ahead?

Marmarjudy

We are FINALLY sailing Princess again in February, after 3 years, having sailed Princess 5 times, all very good. (Before that we had sailed 15 or so times on other lines.) Since the Princess sailings, we have been on Carnival (2--okay) HAL (1-wonderful) and Cunard (1- QM2 transatlantic-service overrated, but a dream come true to do the transatlantic.) There might have been another cruise in there, but I forget. Anyhow, 3 years and several cruises since Princess.

Bottom line: our memories of Princess are nothing but good and we are SO looking forward to returning. We missed Princess on every cruise except the Holland cruise, on which the service was exceptional.

I've been reading all the postings. I think the Princess people here are complaining more than what I remember.

Are we setting ourselves up for disappointment? Have things deteriorated that much? Should we have booked with Holland?

After more than 25 cruises, I tend to over analyze every cruise....but am still a very objective, forgiving cruiser (things happen, etc.) If the basic quality is there, we are happy, plus a "bad" cruise is still a cruise. We are not nit picking complainers.

I look forward to your opinions.....and we're on Caribbean Princess out of San Juan. Hopefully the drydock will help. And it's a cruise!!!

Thanks much,

Judy

Hey Judy!

We, too, are on the Caribbean Princess out of San Juan... leaving Feb. 8th. When do you embark??

I can't say whether or not Princess has gone "down hill"... this will be our very first cruise!! However, I have read a ton of very positive reviews as well, and therefore... we are SO EXCITED for this cruise!!!

I just plan to go in with an open mind, and remember to be THANKFUL that I even have the privilege of GOING on a cruise!! It sounds like you tend to have the same attitude!

So I am taking all the negative reviews with a grain of salt... and CAN'T wait for my first cruise on Princess!!

Hope to see you there!!

Amy

We are FINALLY sailing Princess again in February, after 3 years, having sailed Princess 5 times, all very good. (Before that we had sailed 15 or so times on other lines.) Since the Princess sailings, we have been on Carnival (2--okay) HAL (1-wonderful) and Cunard (1- QM2 transatlantic-service overrated, but a dream come true to do the transatlantic.) There might have been another cruise in there, but I forget. Anyhow, 3 years and several cruises since Princess.

Bottom line: our memories of Princess are nothing but good and we are SO looking forward to returning. We missed Princess on every cruise except the Holland cruise, on which the service was exceptional.

I've been reading all the postings. I think the Princess people here are complaining more than what I remember.

Are we setting ourselves up for disappointment? Have things deteriorated that much? Should we have booked with Holland?

After more than 25 cruises, I tend to over analyze every cruise....but am still a very objective, forgiving cruiser (things happen, etc.) If the basic quality is there, we are happy, plus a "bad" cruise is still a cruise. We are not nit picking complainers.

I look forward to your opinions.....and we're on Caribbean Princess out of San Juan. Hopefully the drydock will help. And it's a cruise!!!

Thanks much,

Judy

You will not be dissapointed - Princess still has the best to offer in it's price range. Before you read some of the negative posts here, look at the number of posts the poster has - it is usually a first. Some folks just want to try to dissuade people from cruising Princess. We have been cruising Princess since 1996 (23 cruises) and have not seen any deteriation of product.

Ron

Hi Judy,

I'm certain you won't be disappointed in Princess. We have several Princess Cruises under our belts (Emerald, Grand, Caribbean) along with NCL (20 yrs. ago!), Carnival (Sensation), Celebrity (Millenium and Solstice in Feb.), and most recently HAL's Eurodam. Princess has always been our favorite for a variety of reasons, and we always end up comparing every other cruise to a previous Princess experience. Probably our least favorite was the Eurodam, but it was still a great time! Almost any cruise will be good, but Princess always holds a special place for us!

Thanks much,

Judy

Judy,

obviously you have cruised recently and know all lines have cut back in some ways. Prices have remained pretty steady for years while everything else has gone up, we have to realize something will suffer. That being said, I don't think you will see all that much differance from years past. As for over analyzing, I am inclined to do the same, but when I get back and let everything soak in, I am usually more satisfied than I may have thought. I learn to overlook the little issues.

I think you will have a great time if you keep an open mind. I will be honest, I do prefer HAL for many reasons, but this does not mean I do not like Princess, we do.

Nita

the biggest issue that i"m hearing lately is the other travellers onboard!

I have no issues with Princess but the behaviour of other customers appears to be less-than-acceptable on some cruises.

My advice: book a balcony room--you can retreat there whenever you've had enough of your fellow passengers!

In 3 years you won't notice much difference. In fact, I think there have been a bunch of cool inovations to Princess over the last few years (Chef's table, Ultimate Tour, etc.). However, my first Princess cruise was in 1988 and there have been significant cutbacks since then. With the change of ownership to CCL, there have been a lot of cost controls but it place.

Bottom line: you still get quality, but there have been cutbacks from the "old school"

The only differences you'll probably see is much more pushing of things like soda cards. The dinner menus are little less adventurous than they used to be but the quality of the food is the same - very good to occasionally great. Theme nights at dinner have been de-emphasized so no more special dishes prepared in the dining room. It seems like the wait staff has more tables to deal with per waiter/asst. waiter so we feel like some of the interaction we used to love is gone, but that may be just the wait staff we've had for the last few cruises. Very good service, but not quite the same feeling of it being an "event" each night like before. But overall things are pretty much the same. Princess is still our favorite and a great value for your vacation dollar.

Comparing a Princess cruise from three years ago to one today won't show much of a decline. You might notice somewhat of a decline in the dr choices & food quality of certain items every now & then.

What you will see is much more in you face selling of services, better food, photo products, spa treatments, sanctuary, tours on & off the ship, special treatment of luggage, computer classes, art auctions, drinks, upgraded ice cream, etc.....the list goes on & on. Even their port talk has turned into a a promotional talk to get you to shop their "recommended" stores & sell you one of their coupon booklets for "better" deals. It's now termed a "port & shopping talk". The days of it being a informative talk of the places you'll be visiting are gone & replaced with a pushy sales talk to get you to buy items from merchants they recommend.

If you can overlook all of the pushing to sell their stuff then I doubt if you'll see much differences. If it offends you, then be prepared to be shocked.

I'm waiting for the day when they'll be offering first run movies shown in the Princess theater, selling tickets for only $15 a showing. (with free popcorn included of course);)

I'm waiting for the day when they'll be offering first run movies shown in the Princess theater, selling tickets for only $15 a showing. (with free popcorn included of course);)

Ha! Don't give them any more ideas. Although, that is a good one.

Even their port talk has turned into a a promotional talk to get you to shop their "recommended" stores & sell you one of their coupon booklets for "better" deals. It's now termed a "port & shopping talk". The days of it being a informative talk of the places you'll be visiting are gone & replaced with a pushy sales talk to get you to buy items from merchants they recommend.

This is true for Caribbean cruises, and certainly has been going on for more than 3 years. I attended one in 2003 and it was basically as described in the quote.

However, I have attended some very informative presentations during Alaskan, Panama Canal, and European cruises. These talks were done either by the CD, or someone with local expertise. Look for these in the Patter, because they can be quite good. Avoid the sales pitch talks, walk out if you have to rather than waste your time. The people who do these are actually lobbyists (for want of a better term) hired by the shops to go on board and do the sales pitch, and they receive a portion of the sales. I'm not saying that the stores themselves are good, bad, or indifferent. But it is useful to understand the motivation and evaluate their information accordingly.

We're leaving next week for a cruise on the new Ruby, and we've enjoyed all our Princess cruises, this is still our favorite line. However, with that said, I'm going to disagree somewhat with the other posters and say that I think service has declined, at least a little. My impression is that Princess has cut back on their staff, so stewards now have more cabins to clean, and waiters have more tables to look after. The staff we've met have been friendly and helpful, but it just seems to us that they are sometimes overloaded. It hasn't made for a bad cruise, there is just not the same feeling of being pampered that you used to get. Of course, all the lines have made cutbacks, and I think the increasing sales pitches are about everywhere. Cruising isn't what it was a few years back, it's more informal overall and that seems to be what most cruisers want. And the prices are low! It's still a great vacation, and the cost is reasonable if you don't load up on those optional onboard expenses.

Thanks much,

Judy

We love Princess. I have tried two other cruiselines; but they just don't compare. I love the MUTS for one, and their pizza and Hamburger/fries by the pool is to die for. If you want to find something to complain about, you will find little things....sometimes a not so friendly waiter (but they are really busy and tired, not always super friendly, but not rude either). Some little things, but I have never even been close to having a complaint about anything. As a matter of fact, the cruise we were on in November (Grand Princess), the staff were so wonderful I ended up filling out three customer cards on them and then a generic "love you" one for the ship overall. I never liked the steak they served on the "anytime" menu, but I think they changed their steaks because this last cruise they were excellent. Further, we just cancelled our upcoming cruise with MSC, and booked it through Princess. I thought it was going to cost more, and I didn't care, but as it turned out they were having a great sale for previous cruisers and I saved $600.00 and got an OBC for $150.00 (covered the cost to change my airline tickets and some extra). So, I am pleased!

Comparing a Princess cruise from three years ago to one today won't show much of a decline. You might notice somewhat of a decline in the dr choices & food quality of certain items every now & then.

What you will see is much more in you face selling of services, better food, photo products, spa treatments, sanctuary, tours on & off the ship, special treatment of luggage, computer classes, art auctions, drinks, upgraded ice cream, etc.....the list goes on & on. Even their port talk has turned into a a promotional talk to get you to shop their "recommended" stores & sell you one of their coupon booklets for "better" deals. It's now termed a "port & shopping talk". The days of it being a informative talk of the places you'll be visiting are gone & replaced with a pushy sales talk to get you to buy items from merchants they recommend. If you can overlook all of the pushing to sell their stuff then I doubt if you'll see much differences. If it offends you, then be prepared to be shocked.

I actually like the shopping talk...for me that is a part of the port and I really enjoy listening to it. My sisters-in-law bought those coupon books on our western caribbean cruises last year. They had a great time with it...it was like a treasure hunt to find the freebies and discounts...me I would rather go snorkeling with my DH, but he wasn't on the cruise, so I went with the in-laws (still had fun, though). Plus, I ended up buying a nice diamond necklace and earrings that I love dearly (that will teach my husband for not coming on the cruise..heeheehe). About 5 years ago I bought a ring in Alaska (from one of the shops on the port talks), the ring is still one of my favorites. Now, those three mentioned items are the only things I have ever bought in port (my husband and I are not shoppers), but the talks are still interesting.

The only differences you'll probably see is much more pushing of things like soda cards. The dinner menus are little less adventurous than they used to be but the quality of the food is the same - very good to occasionally great. Theme nights at dinner have been de-emphasized so no more special dishes prepared in the dining room. It seems like the wait staff has more tables to deal with per waiter/asst. waiter so we feel like some of the interaction we used to love is gone, but that may be just the wait staff we've had for the last few cruises. Very good service, but not quite the same feeling of it being an "event" each night like before. But overall things are pretty much the same. Princess is still our favorite and a great value for your vacation dollar.
most if not all lines are doing away with the special dishes being prepared in the dining room etc. I am guessing this has to do with: 1-cutting back on wait staff and 2-the request of many to discontinue the games, parades etc. I know several who have said they would rather eat without the interuptions of dancing waiters.

Nita

Like others have said, relatively speaking, the quality of cruising has declined industry wide over several years; yet, the price of cruising has declined too - relatively speaking...

Keep you expectations in check (expect some 'reduction' in overall food and service) remember that you're on vacation (a terrific vacation) and you ought have a great time.

I have yet to be on a cruise that I didn't like. It's all in the attitude. Some go looking for faults along the way. We go, with fun and a great time in mind. Afterall, if you think about what a cruise ship accomplishes in a week with the equivalent of a small town on board, feeding, entertaining and cleaning up after us, how can anyone complain?:confused: And to add to that being able to tour new islands and meeting new friends on board whose friendships could last forever!

I have yet to be on a cruise that I didn't like. It's all in the attitude. Some go looking for faults along the way. We go, with fun and a great time in mind. Afterall, if you think about what a cruise ship accomplishes in a week with the equivalent of a small town on board, feeding, entertaining and cleaning up after us, how can anyone complain?:confused: And to add to that being able to tour new islands and meeting new friends on board whose friendships could last forever!

I completely agree! If you go into a cruise looking to pick apart every little thing you'll surely find plenty to complain about.....which is pretty much true of anything in life. If you go into it with an attitude of enjoying yourself, then the inevitable minor annoyances will not be such a thing.

Hey, a "bad" Carribean cruise beats a good week at the office! :D

As first timers, the only thing we didn't like about Princess was the pushy photographers - on several occasions we had them pestering us in the dining room *while we were eating* - between courses I could just about understand. Needless to say they got short shrift.

I actually like the shopping talk...for me that is a part of the port and I really enjoy listening to it. My sisters-in-law bought those coupon books on our western caribbean cruises last year. They had a great time with it...it was like a treasure hunt to find the freebies and discounts...me I would rather go snorkeling with my DH, but he wasn't on the cruise, so I went with the in-laws (still had fun, though). Plus, I ended up buying a nice diamond necklace and earrings that I love dearly (that will teach my husband for not coming on the cruise..heeheehe). About 5 years ago I bought a ring in Alaska (from one of the shops on the port talks), the ring is still one of my favorites. Now, those three mentioned items are the only things I have ever bought in port (my husband and I are not shoppers), but the talks are still interesting.

Perhaps I am a little jaded by the fact that we've been to all the islands so many times & nothing appears a new & exciting any more. I can still recall the "old days" when they used to have real island information talks with guidance as to where the best beaches were, good restaurants to try & so on (with slide shows) but this sort of thing doesn't produce any income for the cruise line as do the port & shopping shows. I certainly can live without it, but I'm sure it would be of great interest to those who haven't been to the island before.

I view the people who participate in the shopping shows as "income producers" that keep the cost of my cruise under check which is not all bad.

Archived