Haleakala Crater At Sunset

emste

Has anyone gone up for sunset instead of sunrise? Can we drive up ourselves? Any suggestions? Thanks

Yes, if you have car the roads are public and open. Its a long drive up a road with many kickbacks. You'll be doing it in the dark either up in the morning or at night. Depending on where you are staying figure get up at 3am or so.

We did it in June, and it was magnificent. I haven't done sunrise, but I can't imagine that it would be any more spectacular. We began our drive shortly before 3 PM because we wanted to see the crater in the daylight too. We packed a picnic lunch and drinks from the ship's buffet area. (Be sure to remember meds for anyone with car sickness issues.) We arrived at the summit about 5 PM and visited the shelter displays there. It was really cold and really, really windy (take a jacket and gloves), so we ate our picnic dinners in the van about 6 PM. Sunset was to be shortly after 7 PM. After dinner, we needed to visit the restrooms, so we drove back down the hill to the visitor's center and decided that we would watch the sunset from the comfort of our vans there. There were only two other cars there at sunset, so we pulled to the west end of the parking lot, rolled down the west-facing window of the van for photos and enjoyed the breathtaking sight from the warmth of the vehicles. There's no way you could do this at sunrise, which is packed with people! If you wish to see photos, I have a ton on my web site. Click on the link below for Pride of America and then click on the tab for Maui. I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions if needed, as I had trouble finding others who had done sunset prior to our own trip.

We did it in June, and it was magnificent. I haven't done sunrise, but I can't imagine that it would be any more spectacular. We began our drive shortly before 3 PM because we wanted to see the crater in the daylight too. We packed a picnic lunch and drinks from the ship's buffet area. (Be sure to remember meds for anyone with car sickness issues.) We arrived at the summit about 5 PM and visited the shelter displays there. It was really cold and really, really windy (take a jacket and gloves), so we ate our picnic dinners in the van about 6 PM. Sunset was to be shortly after 7 PM. After dinner, we needed to visit the restrooms, so we drove back down the hill to the visitor's center and decided that we would watch the sunset from the comfort of our vans there. There were only two other cars there at sunset, so we pulled to the west end of the parking lot, rolled down the west-facing window of the van for photos and enjoyed the breathtaking sight from the warmth of the vehicles. There's no way you could do this at sunrise, which is packed with people! If you wish to see photos, I have a ton on my web site. Click on the link below for Pride of America and then click on the tab for Maui. I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions if needed, as I had trouble finding others who had done sunset prior to our own trip.

CabinForFour,

I feel like I am reading about myself! Your kids look to be about the same age as mine. We went on our Alaskan cruise in July and were wondering where to go next! This will be my kids 4th cruise. We were looking at staying in the ResortQuest Wakiki also for our post stay. We will also be doing a dolphin encounter on Oahu, probably with Dolphin Quest, but I will also look into the Sea Life one. I told my kids they needed to learn to snorkel so they can enjoy it with us when we go. They are excited. I will show them these pictures with your kids snorkeling in the water with sharks! They would never! I wanted to do the sunset at the crater because I wanted to do the Pacific Whale Foundation Molokini and Turtle Arched snorkel tour, which is early in the AM. Then I read that sunset is even nicer than sunrise, and much less crowded! I have not finished going through your website yet, but I can't wait. We are leaving in August so now the planning is really starting. Thanks so much!

CabinForFour,

I feel like I am reading about myself! Your kids look to be about the same age as mine. We went on our Alaskan cruise in July and were wondering where to go next! This will be my kids 4th cruise. We were looking at staying in the ResortQuest Wakiki also for our post stay. We will also be doing a dolphin encounter on Oahu, probably with Dolphin Quest, but I will also look into the Sea Life one. I told my kids they needed to learn to snorkel so they can enjoy it with us when we go. They are excited. I will show them these pictures with your kids snorkeling in the water with sharks! They would never! I wanted to do the sunset at the crater because I wanted to do the Pacific Whale Foundation Molokini and Turtle Arched snorkel tour, which is early in the AM. Then I read that sunset is even nicer than sunrise, and much less crowded! I have not finished going through your website yet, but I can't wait. We are leaving in August so now the planning is really starting. Thanks so much!

emste, I'm so glad it was helpful. It was the most amazing trip. The kids still talk about it every single day. (They were 8 1/2 and almost 6 at the time. It was his 6th and her 3rd cruise.) We can't wait to go back in a few years. Enjoy the planning, and let me know if I can help!

• 4 weeks later...

We did a land based trip to Maui and booked a tour van for the sunRISE - -and I cannot imagine the sunset being as spectacular! ;)

We stood just beside the visitor's center at 9,000 feet up - ABOVE the clouds and what an amazing experience to watch the sun appear coming up thru those clouds!

I had wanted to go see the sunSET there as I did not relish being picked up at 2:45am! The thing that changed my mind is that one of the travel agents told me if it is a very cloudy day then the trip up the crater will be very foggy (this happened to some of our friends and they had to turn around and not complete the trip up) -- of course, if you are on a tour bus the driver will have to deal with the fog.....but, if it is that cloudy then you may not see the sunrise AT ALL! That would have crushed me - so we did the early COLD sunrise trip and did not regret one shivering moment - it was sepctacular!

I am sure either experience moves anyone to thank God for His glorious creation - so ENJOY whichever you decide to see!

We did a land based trip to Maui and booked a tour van for the sunRISE - -and I cannot imagine the sunset being as spectacular! ;)

We stood just beside the visitor's center at 9,000 feet up - ABOVE the clouds and what an amazing experience to watch the sun appear coming up thru those clouds!

I had wanted to go see the sunSET there as I did not relish being picked up at 2:45am! The thing that changed my mind is that one of the travel agents told me if it is a very cloudy day then the trip up the crater will be very foggy (this happened to some of our friends and they had to turn around and not complete the trip up) -- of course, if you are on a tour bus the driver will have to deal with the fog.....but, if it is that cloudy then you may not see the sunrise AT ALL! That would have crushed me - so we did the early COLD sunrise trip and did not regret one shivering moment - it was sepctacular!

I am sure either experience moves anyone to thank God for His glorious creation - so ENJOY whichever you decide to see!

It was very cloudy on the day we went, and I was concerned about visibility. From the ship, we couldn't even see the top half of Haleakala, as it was hidden by dark clouds. Soon after going past the park's entrance center (about 6,800 feet elevation) , we drove a few miles through very dense clouds and emerged to beautiful blue, clear skies. In fact, we commented on how wild it was to look down below the car and see clouds. Too bad your friends turned around. It may have been just fine at the top. Also remember that you WANT some clouds, as the sun's rays playing through the clouds make the most spectacular shows. :)

Archived