Is informality possible on smaller cruise lines?

mountainhouse

I'm interested in trying some of the smaller cruise lines. However, it seems smaller and more luxury go hand in hand. Most of the smaller lines seem quite formal. I suspect Windstar is an option I should look into. Are there any others? Or, is my opinion about smaller lines being more formal wrong?

Depends on what you mean by formal? If you look at some of the pictures for Oceania, they'll show people really dressed up for dinner. It is , like stated before, country club casual. So a pair of nice capri pants or skirt with pretty top are fine. No need for cocktail dresses, sport coats etc. During the day, it's the regular shorts, sandals etc.

The aura of Oceania and probably other small true luxury lines will be a less party like atmosphere and more sedate. But we enjoyed the relxed and pampered feeling.

Windstar would be more "free and breezy". Definitely different than luxury cruises.

• Administrators
I'm interested in trying some of the smaller cruise lines. However, it seems smaller and more luxury go hand in hand. Most of the smaller lines seem quite formal. I suspect Windstar is an option I should look into. Are there any others? Or, is my opinion about smaller lines being more formal wrong?

Not sure what destinations you have in mind, but you might want to check out Cruise West.

We are cruising on Azarama, Journey in 3 weeks and the reason we chose this line is the smaller number of pax 695 and country club casual. Thaught we try something different as we do not like large numbers of pax.

So we shall see and will post on our return.

Archived