Recent Veendam entertainment

AAL

For anyone who is interested in the recent entertainment on the Veendam, here are my comments on the entertainment during the New Years' cruise:

Piano Bar: pianist was Ian. We didn't spend any time in the Piano Bar, but it looked like a good crowd whenever we passed by. It was packed on Sinatra night.

Another pianist, Christine Wallner, played in the Ocean Bar and the Crow's Nest. I don't know how we managed to miss hearing her.

Bombeleo was the band in the Ocean Bar in the evening. Didn't spend time there either.

Shows: We saw two of the shows with the Veendam singers and dancers: Hits of Broadway and Street Singin ("oldies"). I am usually not impressed with this type of show, but I thought these folks were great. We saw several shows on Broadway recently, and thought that the Veendam singers and dancers were Broadway quality. Maybe I was just having such a good time on the cruise that I was easy to please.

Richard Griffin & Hayley Jane did an illusion show that I thought was amazing.

Craig Halliday is a violinist with a violin encrusted with Swarovski crystals. My DD is a string player, so I am exposed to lots of excellent string music. Halliday didn't do much for me, in part because his stage presence was off-putting. I think this was a personal preference thing -- others probably loved him.

There was also a comedian who performed on the first night, and on the last night with an encore performance with Halliday and the illusionists. Some of his jokes were funny, some corny.

VJ and the Hal Cats: they played at the sailaways, the new years eve party, and sometimes in the Crows Nest. VJ has a beautiful voice -- I thought they were great. (The NYE party was really fun.)

Gloria Strings: played during dinner and in the Explorer's lounge. I swear that they played the same limited selection of songs every evening during dinner. They were fine, but some variety would have been nice.

Cruise director was Eric Holland. He did a good job of providing information on the next day's activities, and was very funny as the MC of the marriage game show. My only complaint was hearing his Bingo announcements at 8:45 a.m.

I will post a review of the cruise when time permits. Overall it was great, with just a few glitches.

As a first-time cruiser setting sail on the Veendam in February, I'm anxious to read your report after the less than stellar recent reviews! I'm glad to see that overall you seemed to enjoy the entertainment and I look forward to reading your review, glitches and all!:)

Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!! :) I've asked a couple of recent reviewers for just this information, and not received a response. I truly appreciate reading what you posted as I'll be on the Veendam in February, and entertainment at night is a top priority. It helps to know in advance what I can expect.

Archived