What to do with my NEXT CRUISE booking

mbardsley

Well in a battle with my own thoughts, lol. We still have our NEXT CRUISE booking from our Granduer cruise, almost 2 years ago, and we have to apply it somewere in the next month or so or lose it. Do to the economy, we are cutting down to only 1 cruise a year. We ussually go out of season, and do 2. We are Platinum with RCCL, and ussually grab a balcony or at least outside. We promised our youngest (16) that he will go this time, he has not been for awhile, so we got to look at summer time. RCCL is way high with everything compared to the others. I promised the wife that she would get to go on a ship with a studio B for once, since we have only cruised on the Granduer every time with RCCL.

Here is the big question, can I just throw the next cruise to a booking for next year, and possible change it later if I find that something this summer goes down to a resonable price closer to sailing.

Well in a battle with my own thoughts, lol. We still have our NEXT CRUISE booking from our Granduer cruise, almost 2 years ago, and we have to apply it somewere in the next month or so or lose it. Do to the economy, we are cutting down to only 1 cruise a year. We ussually go out of season, and do 2. We are Platinum with RCCL, and ussually grab a balcony or at least outside. We promised our youngest (16) that he will go this time, he has not been for awhile, so we got to look at summer time. RCCL is way high with everything compared to the others. I promised the wife that she would get to go on a ship with a studio B for once, since we have only cruised on the Granduer every time with RCCL.

Here is the big question, can I just throw the next cruise to a booking for next year, and possible change it later if I find that something this summer goes down to a resonable price closer to sailing.

Yes! As long as you keep you original booking number ( which will be the reservation number that was assigned to your Next Cruise Certificate). Also since you can NOT combine C&A credits ( such as the discount for a Balcony cabin), with ANY OBC's other than Visa Credit card, you may want to try for an OV cabin instead of the balcony. Since your intentions are to get the OBC from the NC for this Booking!:)

Yes! As long as you keep you original booking number ( which will be the reservation number that was assigned to your Next Cruise Certificate). Also since you can NOT combine C&A credits ( such as the discount for a Balcony cabin), with ANY OBC's other than Visa Credit card, you may want to try for an OV cabin instead of the balcony. Since your intentions are to get the OBC from the NC for this Booking!

Good info. :)

Reading all the posts from the past few weeks/months - with all the downgrading that RCI is doing to its perks - really has me shaking my head.

Some bean counter at RCI comes up with these ridiculous ideas to save the company a few dollars. (Sorry, Oliver, I still don't buy into the idea that RCI is trying to weed out any customer they can get ;))

And, yet, these people seem to have given absolutely no thought to the ultimate ramifications of these decisions.

People will always find a way to cruise in the most economical way they can (unless they are people who just enjoy throwing money down the drain). There is no system that can't be "worked" - and smart people will always figure out how.

I just have this vision of the corporate types frantically trying to pug holes (they are dealing with the current economy as well as we are and they do like those big bonuses) and in response, the cruisers - just as fast - finding their own ways to deal with each new policy.

RCI could save everyone the trouble - just leave well enough alone - and at the end of the day probably still be as well off financially. :D

Oh, and then OP could just book their (more expensive - take note RCI) balcony and still use their next cruise credit..... ;):):D

We still have our NEXT CRUISE booking from our Granduer cruise, almost 2 years ago, and we have to apply it somewere in the next month or so or lose it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought NC certificates never expired?

I have a NC on hand and I'm thinking of booking anything short (smaller deposit) and then later canceling, just to get all my $$$ back. I understand the need for belt tightening in this economy, but it sort of ticks me off that they have cut off our perks for "bookings" (which is what a NC really is, even though you haven't picked a ship or date) made before the cut off date.

At one time Next Cruise certificates did have an expiration date of 3 yrs. This person may still be holding one of them.

RC did change ( another one of their changes , that did benefit the customer up until 1/1/09), that they now do Not Expire! :D

Happy Cruising!:)

At one time Next Cruise certificates did have an expiration date of 3 yrs. This person may still be holding one of them.

RC did change ( another one of their changes , that did benefit the customer up until 1/1/09), that they now do Not Expire! :D

Happy Cruising!:)

Shirl.........I thought that NC never expired even when they were first announced and being issued.

Of course, as you said, RCI probably did make a change "silently".;)

OP can call RCL and ask if their NC certificate has an expiration date or not. If it does, OP should ask if that can be "adjusted" to no expiration date since that is the way they are now. If RCL changed the program, they should consider making the NC all the same.

If that doesn't work, make a booking far in the future, keeping the NC booking number.

Some people have reported on this board that you can book a short cruise with the next cruise letter, pay your deposit less the $100 you paid for the letter, wait a week or so and cancel it and you get back the deposit you paid plus the $100 you paid for the letter. I have not done it personally so I can't vouch for it 100 percent but I haven't heard of anyone who did it not getting back their deposit and the next cruise letter deposit.

I'm sure they will plug that leak up when they find multitudes of book/cancelled reservations with next cruise letters because you can't combine that OBC with other benefits you have access to like shareholder's OBC (I'm sure will be taken away in May), booking while on board a cruise, WOW sales, Diamond/Platinum balcony discounts.

Tucker in Texas

Some people have reported on this board that you can book a short cruise with the next cruise letter, pay your deposit less the $100 you paid for the letter, wait a week or so and cancel it and you get back the deposit you paid plus the $100 you paid for the letter. I have not done it personally so I can't vouch for it 100 percent but I haven't heard of anyone who did it not getting back their deposit and the next cruise letter deposit.

I'm sure they will plug that leak up when they find multitudes of book/cancelled reservations with next cruise letters because you can't combine that OBC with other benefits you have access to like shareholder's OBC (I'm sure will be taken away in May), booking while on board a cruise, WOW sales, Diamond/Platinum balcony discounts.

Tucker in Texas

Yes it can and has been done. That's the only way to get your NC deposit back if you are sure that you won't use it for a future booking.

The NC deposit is only non-refundable if it is never used. If you change it into an active booking and then cancel...............you will get a full refund of NC deposit plus the deposit balance.

The NC has dual function. Besides OBC you can get accompanying reservations same OBC.

But I guess with all that OBC hogging this went total wayside.

@TW: time to stop beating a dead horse. We agreed that the future will show us where RCI is going.

PS: I think Patti is correct with the no expiration. I believe the program was introduced in 2007. I bought my first NC in September 07 and it had no expiration on it.

The NC has dual function. Besides OBC you can get accompanying reservations same OBC.

@TW: time to stop beating a dead horse. We agreed that the future will show us where RCI is going.

PS: I think Patti is correct with the no expiration. I believe the program was introduced in 2007. I bought my first NC in September 07 and it had no expiration on it.

Again (Tell you what Oliver, I'll quit beating my dead horse when you quit beating yours. Deal? :D), where has OBC hogging :rolleyes: occurred???

RCI offered benefits. RCI policies dictated how those benefits were to be handled. And cruisers accepted and then used (or didn't use) those benefits as per RCI policy.

Where or where was any hogging going on........ :confused::confused::confused:

NextCruise Confirmation - Guest Copy

Issue Date: 10 JUN 2007

11. Any tax liability, including disclosure, connected with the receipt or use of NextCruise is the recipient's responsibility.

12. Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to substitute ports, change itineraries or substitute ships on all itineraries as more specifically provided in the Royal Caribbean

International guest ticket contract and brochures.

13. Offer valid only to residents of the United States and Canada.no expiration A NextCruise account shall have date.

14. A NextCruise account may be transferred to another guest (Applicable only to Canadian Citizens).

15. The provisions of Royal Caribbean International's Cruise/CruiseTour Ticket Contract (copies of which are available online at http://www.royalcaribbean.com) are hereby incorporated

by reference. IMPORTANT NOTICE: THE CRUISE /CRUISETOUR TICKET CONTRACT CONTAINS IMPORTANT LIMITATIONS ON THE RIGHTS OF PASSENGERS. Among

other things, any disputes between you and Royal Caribbean International must take place in Miami/Dade County, Florida and must be filed within a certain period of time. By

purchasing/redeeming this certificate, the purchaser/holder agrees that prior to being allowed to board the vessel, he or she must sign Royal Caribbean Internationalss applicable

cruise/cruisetour ticket contract and be bound by all such terms and conditions.

NEW PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS

ALL guests, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda are

required to present a valid passport to enter (or re-enter) the United States. For International travel, visas are required where they apply. Please check with the

consulate of country of embarkation for Visa questions. For details on cruise only travel document requirements, additional passport and/or visa requirements, please

visit http://www.royalcaribbean.com. Royal Caribbean International strongly recommend that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise.

1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL. 33132 USA

3 of 3

Sunday, June 10, 2007

I received my 1st Next Cruise in June 2007.

It does state they do not expire! I stand corrected!

I know I didn't dream up this 3 yr expiration date. It had to be stated somewhere when they 1st came out with the program.:o

I went back and did a search from the time they first came out. I found a thread on which I posted the 3 yr info!

Here take a look! Post # 18. No one disputed it!:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=633610&highlight=expire+next+cruise

Then Check Post # 22

I know I didn't dream up this 3 yr expiration date. It had to be stated somewhere when they 1st came out with the program.:o

I went back and did a search from the time they first came out. I found a thread on which I posted the 3 yr info!

Here take a look! Post # 18. No one disputed it!:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=633610&highlight=expire+next+cruise

Then Check Post # 22

I guess based on your link it must have been introduced with a limit. I am not even sure when it exactly was introduced, just the year. If you got yours in June of 07 then the limits (3 years) must have been rather short lived.

But even with a 3 year limit and whoever bought those early NC they still should have time until at least early 2010.

I am almost 100% it was not available in 2006.

Archived