How old to cruise? rates for infants?

whineconnoiseur

I know cruiselines have different policies regarding children and infants. But I'm having trouble finding this information on the respective websites. I am also having trouble finding fare info for kids. I know that my pre-schooler pays the 3rd person rate....but what about a babe in arms?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

I know cruiselines have different policies regarding children and infants. But I'm having trouble finding this information on the respective websites. I am also having trouble finding fare info for kids. I know that my pre-schooler pays the 3rd person rate....but what about a babe in arms?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Good Morning!

Just to help clear a misconception....

Most cruiselines do not reduce the cost for an infact/toddler, per se - they are under the laws set forth by the U.S. Coast Guard and they view each person (regardless of age) on board as a "SOUL". The cruiseline sets their rates per room on the number of souls the room can hold. Now, with that said, most cruiselines do set the third and fourth pax a much cheaper rate. (Again, they are counting the total number of souls, not the ages.) You can have 4 adults in one room and the first two adults would pay full fare and the third/fouth would pay a lesser amount.

Baby_G was a third fare when she was just six months old (the same fare had she been 20 years old!), it isn't like airlines where you carry a baby and they don't "count" them for cost.

Hope this helps!

Lady_G

Lady_G

As far as age to cruise, most lines are 6 months for Caribbean voyages & 12 months for transatlantic or European. I believe the only exception is Disney, which allows babies to sail at 12 weeks. Some lines (I know Carnival is one) do have babysitting for infants at night from 10 pm to 3 am for a small charge.

The above posters are exactly right. Let me see if I can add some more info....

Cruise lines like Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess and Carnival will charge the 3rd person rate for the child in the cabin. Doesn't matter the age.

Disney has a "reduced" rate pending on age. But you will pay more for the 1st/2nd person in the cabin.

On Norwegian, kids 2 and under are charged taxes/port fees only.

On some sailings of Costa and MSC, kids sail free, pay just port fees and taxes.

Archived